The Falkirk FC Thread

Taken off of Montrose's Facebook page. I wonder if they have heard of rumblings of trouble from the massive Links Park Dynamo?

CLUB MESSAGE AHEAD OF FALKIRK GAME
With Links Park set to welcome its largest travelling crowd of the season on Saturday, the Club would like to encourage as many Montrose fans as possible to come out and cheer on Stewart Petrie’s boys, creating the best atmosphere possible for what is a huge game for both clubs.
In doing so however, we would respectfully remind all supporters that your behaviour both inside and outside the ground reflect directly on and impact greatly the reputation of your beloved football club.
We will not tolerate any form of unacceptable behaviour and would instead urge everyone to focus their energy in a positive way on the terraces and in the stand to make Saturday a special occasion for all as we continue our Play-Off Push.

11 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Another example of why ex FFC players should never manage us, it always ends on a sour note. Eddie May should rightly be remembered as one of the greats but this shows he ain't by some.     

Yeah, we really dodged a bullet when turning down Alex Ferguson’s application for manager in the mid 70s.

Phew!

13 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

Yeah, we really dodged a bullet when turning down Alex Ferguson’s application for manager in the mid 70s.

Phew!

With hindsight it’s the only one we shouldn’t of turned down 

possibly 

it’s another big what if?

27 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

Phew!

Maybe threatening to lead the players out on strike had something to do with it?

11 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Eddie May tried to resign at Christmas but George Craig wouldn't accept it and persuaded him to stay. He floundered on for another 2 months which went a long way to sealing our fate. Blame George Craig.

Another example of why ex FFC players should never manage us, it always ends on a sour note. Eddie May should rightly be remembered as one of the greats but this shows he ain't by some.     

Should not exclude ex players managing Falkirk but its a big decision as it tarnishes the legacy they had when they played. Miller and Prentice together with May being the tragic examples.

However we have had more than a few that had gave us some great games and teams. Totten, Hughes, McColl, Houstie come to mind.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Should not exclude ex players managing Falkirk but its a big decision as it tarnishes the legacy they had when they played. Miller and Prentice together with May being the tragic examples.

However we have had more than a few that had gave us some great games and teams. Totten, Hughes, McColl, Houstie come to mind.

Think the most tragic example was John Lambie. 11 years & 200+ games,  before moving onto play in Europe with St Johnstone.

Won the 1st division with 2 different clubs; & by a veritable street from Falkirk, with Accies, in 86. He actually left a safe job to come to Brockville because he wanted the gig!

Right man at, most certainly, the wrong time. Doomed, from the minute the fans told Fulston they didn’t want him.

15 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Eddie May tried to resign at Christmas but George Craig wouldn't accept it and persuaded him to stay. He floundered on for another 2 months which went a long way to sealing our fate. Blame George Craig.

Folk can have differing opinions on Eddie May the player, Eddie May the academy manager or Eddie May the 1st team manager but it is irrefutable that his disco pants were second to none.

21 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Think the most tragic example was John Lambie. 11 years & 200+ games,  before moving onto play in Europe with St Johnstone.

Won the 1st division with 2 different clubs; & by a veritable street from Falkirk, with Accies, in 86. He actually left a safe job to come to Brockville because he wanted the gig!

Right man at, most certainly, the wrong time. Doomed, from the minute the fans told Fulston they didn’t want him.

All this is true, but the transfer business he carried out and the style of football we played would have doomed him no matter his pedigree.

3 hours ago, Hisingdoon said:

With hindsight it’s the only one we shouldn’t of turned down 

possibly 

it’s another big what if?

It is the big what if indeed.

Falkirk were further ahead than Jim Mclean's Dundee United. Alex Ferguson was assistant manager to Willy Cunningham and there was a lot of young talent with potential on the books. Stewart Kennedy, John Kennedy, Alex Beckett* John Young* Ian Harley, Tom Mcleod, Doug Somner, Stewart Wheatley, Colin Fowler to name a few that come to mind* these 2 went on to be stalwards in Fergies St Mirren team. Ferguson had even lined up Andy Gray to sign for the club.

As you said - What if

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Falkirk were further ahead than Jim Mclean's Dundee United. Alex Ferguson was assistant manager to Willy Cunningham and there was a lot of young talent with potential on the books. Stewart Kennedy, John Kennedy, Alex Beckett* John Young* Ian Harley, Tom Mcleod, Doug Somner, Stewart Wheatley, Colin Fowler to name a few that come to mind* these 2 went on to be stalwards in Fergies St Mirren team. Ferguson had even lined up Andy Gray to sign for the club.

As you said - What if

Missing out on the greatest gaffer of all-time is one thing, but St Mirren had him and SACKED him. That's surely about 100x worse! That minds me, I still need to read his book. Does he talk much about his time at Falkirk in it?

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Aye! Honest John and a damn good servant to Falkirk he was as well as a player.

55 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Missing out on the greatest gaffer of all-time is one thing, but St Mirren had him and SACKED him. That's surely about 100x worse! That minds me, I still need to read his book. Does he talk much about his time at Falkirk in it?

There's a bit about his time there. The relationship with Willie Cunningham and some of the players Tam Young, Alex Totten.

Good read and the bit about the managers job and Andy Gray just gets you thinking

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

As you said - What if

You're thinking of Jim Fowler because Colin Fowler didn't arrive until the late 70's/early 80's. I think that Jim signed after Cunningham and Fergie had left too, although he was a great prospect. He left Falkirk when George Miller wouldn't let him sign for Dundee Utd and returned to amateur football. A real waste of talent!

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There's a bit about his time there. The relationship with Willie Cunningham and some of the players Tam Young, Alex Totten.

Good read and the bit about the managers job and Andy Gray just gets you thinking

I'm sure that wee Tiger refused to play in the LC semi final against Partick in 1971 because he'd fallen out with Ferguson, who was in the team.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

As you said - What if

Fergusson wasnt very successful to begin with at Man U. There were fan protests calling for his head iirc. There’s no guarantee he’d have done well with us. 
plus he called the team out on strike and then changed his mind. I was forced by my parents to miss the match and go to the Trossaughs that day with visiting relatives and I cried ( very young) when I found out I’d missed a match.  

also he once told 10 year old me to f**k off.    So bugger him lol. He wasn’t a great player and a total cheat. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

You're thinking of Jim Fowler because Colin Fowler didn't arrive until the late 70's/early 80's. I think that Jim signed after Cunningham and Fergie had left too, although he was a great prospect. He left Falkirk when George Miller wouldn't let him sign for Dundee Utd and returned to amateur football. A real waste of talent!

Thats right! Jim Fowler thanks for the correction - cracking player

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm sure that wee Tiger refused to play in the LC semi final against Partick in 1971 because he'd fallen out with Ferguson, who was in the team.

That's interesting, few days after the game was told Tiger banjoed a fellow player just before they got on the bus to Hampden. Put that down to gossip but it would tie up with what you posted.