The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

The mention of transfer business always makes me think of, what I believe to be, the best piece of transfer business we’ve EVER conducted. Involved Eddie May - sold to Motherwell, and in return we get Paul McGrillen, Stevie Kirk, plus £100K - which we promptly used to bring in Mo Johnston. I’ll never see better transfer dealings at Falkirk than that, and challenge any Bairn who can think of better for us(?). Jim Jeffries I doff my cap to you 👏

And I'm sure Hearts gave us 50k for Colin Cramb around about the same time.

I think this is really good news, with particular caveats. It's got to be remembered he's only 22, he's a big guy and I think there are the makings of a really good keeper there even if he's not the finished article, so to get him tied down on a two-year deal is good business. He wouldn't be my no.1 going into next season though; I'd like an experienced goalkeeper in who Nicky can learn from and perhaps even put pressure on if he's not performing. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

No issues at all with Nicky getting a new deal. I'd like to echo what others have said though, as I do feel an experienced back-up keeper would really help. Derek Gaston at Arbroath would be a good option, as he has coaching experience already. Michael McGovern of Hearts, for obvious reasons, would be another good choice. Even Jamie MacDonald at Morton would do. A younger alternative could be Jamie Sneddon at Partick Thistle, who is out of contract in the summer. He has bags of experience at championship level. I would expect him to probably be first choice, as opposed to back-up however.

Edited by Raybowski89

The rotation this year hasn't helped either Keeper IMO and likely played on both of their minds at times.

Neither have been horrendous, which most of our fans would have you believe.  Capable of mistakes here and there but so are all of our outfield players who tend to get away mistakes, even major ones.  Our fans are also particularly brutal to keepers and give seriously bad vibes from the stands which won't help a young keeper.

Nicky was well thought of at Rangers (where young keepers basically never get a sustained opportunity) and must have been on some big clubs radars to have signed at Forest.

Clearly a lot of potential and we likely have the right environment to nurture that so hopefully goes on to prove himself.  I am sure he will.

Edited by MulsonFFC

I felt Hogarth would be away personally, mainly because him signing a 1 yr deal last season I thought was to benefit the club and himself. He maybe thought play for a year and use us as a stepping stone for a bigger move given he'd just came from Forest. Hasn't really panned out that way given McGlynn rotating the goalkeepers plus injuries. Not sure I'd have given him a two year deal but as others have said if an experienced keeper is brought in then he should be ok as a back up. Out the two keepers we have overall Long still shades it for me  but they both haven't covered themselves in glory at times. 

No issues with Nicky extending and echo others that an experienced goalie is needed alongside him. Wonder who will get the nod tomorrow for the ‘title winning’ game. It’s Long’s month and Nicky won’t be selected til April (ie Monday). Cheers Lincoln. 

Not good enough and cannot handle the pressure, if he plays against Dunfermline he will make a few cock ups.
He is absolutely fine when just having to react to shots, but any time he has to make a decision he is a complete liability. 

45 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

No issues at all with Nicky getting a new deal. I'd like to echo what others have said though, as I do feel an experienced back-up keeper would really help. Derek Gaston at Arbroath would be a good option, as he has coaching experience already. Michael McGovern of Hearts, for obvious reasons, would be another good choice. Even Jamie MacDonald at Morton would do. A younger alternative could be Jamie Sneddon at Partick Thistle, who is out of contract in the summer. He has bags of experience at championship level. I would expect him to probably be first choice, as opposed to back-up however.

Of those I would have thought Gaston is the only realistic shout.  I like Nicky and glad he’s staying, but would also prefer him as no2

Can’t say I am massively bothered with Hogarth signing either way. 

He just isn’t good enough, but hopefully can improve. But the fact he isn’t our No1 this year presumably means he is signed as backup. 

I think with keepers when they are young you never really see the best of them and more often than not any mistake they make leads to a goal. Nicky is fine if we bring in an older more experienced keeper and he learns from them. There are very few keepers who are the finished article at his age.

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

Michael McGovern's taking the experienced part a bit too far as he'll be 40 in the summer so will probably be considering retiring if he doesn't get another year at Hearts.

Your other three options are absolutely honking. Give me Ryan Fulton, Josh Rae or someone from down south.

Edited by FFC 1876

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Michael McGovern's taking the experienced part a bit too far as he'll be 40 in the summer so will probably be considering retiring if he doesn't get another year at Hearts.

Your other three options are absolutely honking. Give me Ryan Fulton, Josh Rae or someone from down south.

Josh Rae, no thank you. Boy's a liability

47 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

Can’t say I am massively bothered with Hogarth signing either way. 

He just isn’t good enough, but hopefully can improve. But the fact he isn’t our No1 this year presumably means he is signed as backup. 

There isn't a No1 this season. I would assume whoever the other goalie is won't have the same clause written into their contract that has led to the rotation this year.

35 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Amazing now to think now that Tim Krul, Kasper Schmeichel and Tony Parks played in goal for us.

While we are talking about goalkeepers, I need to mention Ally Donaldson, he's not been mentioned for a long time.  My favourite back in the day.

Best goalie I've seen play for us. 

Bit surprised at the Hogarth news, would like to think we'll be looking for a far more established and experienced first choice goalkeeper for next season. I actually thought Hogarth developed into a a decent keeper during the course of his initial loan-period after a difficult start and was a bit disappointed when he left in the January. Not been nearly as convincing second time around. 

One thing this should precipitate is his immediate reinstatement as first choice, starting from tomorrow at Montrose. Absolutely no point whatsoever in continuing with a loan player who will be away in a few weeks time and leaving a player who has just signed a two-year contract on the bench. The definition of futility. If that upsets Lincoln City, well, we'll just have to live with that.