The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, F.T.I.D said:

Not sure if anyone saw Leon McCann’s Instagram story yesterday? 

He appeared to be in a moon boot. Hopefully a speedy recovery for the wee fella. 

Hope it’s nothing to serious, but if it’s a full boot, likely a few weeks 

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

Hope it’s nothing to serious, but if it’s a full boot, likely a few weeks 

At the start of the training session on Thursday he was working on his own with the physio. When he left the stadium he was on crutches. I asked and he said he'd done his ankle. Wee bit surprised he's put that on instagram but the league won't start for another six weeks so I guess he's got plenty of time to recover. 

Leon McCann (2) .jpg

22 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

I often hear the comment "We`re only a wee country, we can`t be expected to do any better". However, when you look at Denmark with an almost identical population size to Scotland`s, Switzerland with slightly more and Croatia with slightly less. All these teams consistently outperform us at International level. 

If you look at these countries domestic leagues they are probably filled with >80% home-grown players and young talent is given opportunities to play at a high level from a young age. 

Scotlands football governance and league structure are setup in a way they don't give a f**k about home-grown players development. 

Grassroots football between 4-12 is a shambles as well (having now been involved)...... still all about winning and not nurturing talent, best teams poaching the best players to get plastic medals and getting a boner over an old-firm scout wanting a number about a player.

So much wrong with it from bottom to top its hard to see it consistently improving, we have been lucky to have had some very talented players come together the last few years and carried us through to tourneys.  I worry about the next crop.

Edited by MulsonFFC

12 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

If you look at these countries domestic leagues they are probably filled with >80% home-grown players and young talent is given opportunities to play at a high level from a young age. 

Scotlands football governance and league structure are setup in a way they don't give a f**k about home-grown players development. 

Grassroots football between 4-12 is a shambles as well (having now been involved)...... still all about winning and not nurturing talent, best teams poaching the best players to get plastic medals and getting a boner over an old-firm scout wanting a number about a player.

So much wrong with it from bottom to top its hard to see it consistently improving, we have been lucky to have had some very talented players come together the last few years and carried us through to tourneys.  I worry about the next crop.

Exactly correct, the lack of young talent coming through is shocking.

Scottish authorities running the game in Scotland couldnt care less about youth development or community involvement. 

We are are good as we are ever likely to be just now, it's likely things will get worse in fact.

If McCann is out it is Mackie’s place to make his own in the league cup group stages. Not something I thought I’d say when he turned in that shocker at Edinburgh 6 months ago 

Edited by bairn88

25 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Couldn`t agree more and is pretty much the point I made in my next post. After the introduction of the 10 team Premier league in the mid 70`s and the big drop in income after relegation from it, the incentive to give youth it`s chance became a thing of the past. It was survival in the top flight at all costs.

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

At the start of the training session on Thursday he was working on his own with the physio. When he left the stadium he was on crutches. I asked and he said he'd done his ankle. Wee bit surprised he's put that on instagram but the league won't start for another six weeks so I guess he's got plenty of time to recover. 

Leon McCann (2) .jpg

Obviously a bit of a sore one. Any heads up on Donaldson 

19 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Couldn`t agree more and is pretty much the point I made in my next post. After the introduction of the 10 team Premier league in the mid 70`s and the big drop in income after relegation from it, the incentive to give youth it`s chance became a thing of the past. It was survival in the top flight at all costs.

The ultimate aim for any provincial club is making the top league. Absolutely the ambition for any player is to play at the highest level. Should we get the golden ticket, we will become part of the disease that’s strangling football. 

Unfortunate news about McCann, although Mackie will be keen to take his chance. Does leave us a bit short in defence with Donaldson also out.

I’m still hopeful the budget will stretch to an additional CB and ST on loan later in the window. Presumably Allan will be going out so that should free up some funds.

47 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The ultimate aim for any provincial club is making the top league. Absolutely the ambition for any player is to play at the highest level. Should we get the golden ticket, we will become part of the disease that’s strangling football. 

We will sadly. When it was a 2 league set up you didn`t lose a lot of cash when relegated as there wasn`t anything like the money that`s injected into the game now. In fact I`d guess we made more money winning promotion back to the top league through getting bigger crowds than we did languishing near the bottom of the old Division One most seasons. 

Before Celtic went on their dominant streak around 67, Hearts Kilmarnock & Dundee had all won the league that decade.

Although Celtic and Rangers brought in more cash than the rest it was mainly due to them having a bigger support. The gap between them and the rest was nothing like it is today. 

That`s all history sadly and there`s no way I can see it ever going back to being that competitive.

It’s all locked into horrific self interest and short termism. Clubs won’t allow change because they grasp onto the deeply unfair financial advantage they get for being in the Prem. There’s a similar gap between the Championship and League 1. But that disparity just encourages poor behavior, clubs gambling cash they don’t have to get the financial reward and then crashing if they don’t. Why else is it okay for the likes of Killie, Dundee and DU to overspend by millions in a season to escape the Championship? Because of the financial rewards and that ultimately skew competition and discourage developing young players. The voting system is so sclerotic that it’s almost impossible to change. Everyone knows there needs to be bigger divisions, more promotion and relegation, money better spread out and more investment in youth. But so few clubs are prepared to argue for that, and the game’s leadership is in hock to these clubs. 

Edited by StuartA

35 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

When the government stepped in with grants and loans during Covid, it was an opportunity for them to put someone in charge overall for the good of the game. 

Chance missed 

And a certain guy who then seen fit to pay Alloa 0.5M, whilst bigger clubs with more to lose got 125K. And we wonder why our games Fcked.

4 hours ago, StuartA said:

It’s all locked into horrific self interest and short termism. Clubs won’t allow change because they grasp onto the deeply unfair financial advantage they get for being in the Prem. There’s a similar gap between the Championship and League 1. But that disparity just encourages poor behavior, clubs gambling cash they don’t have to get the financial reward and then crashing if they don’t. Why else is it okay for the likes of Killie, Dundee and DU to overspend by millions in a season to escape the Championship? Because of the financial rewards and that ultimately skew competition and discourage developing young players. The voting system is so sclerotic that it’s almost impossible to change. Everyone knows there needs to be bigger divisions, more promotion and relegation, money better spread out and more investment in youth. But so few clubs are prepared to argue for that, and the game’s leadership is in hock to these clubs. 

Spot on

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Partick have done some good business this summer, just confirmed Dan Mackay and Lee Ashcroft. Best looking starting 11 to me so far in the league.

It’s going to be a fantastic league. PT look strong