The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

MacIver.  Firstly I realise my opinion is worth nothing other than to me and I really do trust McGlynn knows what he is doing. 

Ross seems to be like marmite, some love him and will automatically leave a red dot on this post, some are on the fence but a minority, like me, just don't get it.  We have four or five in our team that could dribble past a number of defenders and batter the ball in the top corner.  Ross isn't one of them.  To me he is not really a striker.  Good to have at corners and tap ins sure but if there was a great chance in the box requiring a bit extra skill, he would be way down my list for that.

In my admitedly simplistic view, we need an out and out centre forward to spearhead with someone like Ross behind him to continue what he is good at, holding up, distributing, etc.

I appreciate Ross's great contribution to our invincible season, the goals he did get, his part in enabling others to score, he truly gave his share.  I am dubious though his style of "forward" will be as valuable in the Championship where the standard of defences is that bit better.

Maybe it's down to personal taste, showing my age, I adore Pink Floyd but I have always thought the Rolling Stones were laughable.

That style of forward has been valuable for world cup winners over the last few years never mind championship sides. Olivier giroud comes to mind. He did the dirty work for mbappe and his colleagues and was always seen as a vital cog in that french team even though he couldn't go past 3 or 4 players and hammer it in the top corner.  His scoring record wasn't great but he did a vital job.  As someone else mentioned dykes is another player who won't score a barrowload but Christ we missed him in Germany.

42 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

MacIver.  Firstly I realise my opinion is worth nothing other than to me and I really do trust McGlynn knows what he is doing. 

Ross seems to be like marmite, some love him and will automatically leave a red dot on this post, some are on the fence but a minority, like me, just don't get it.  We have four or five in our team that could dribble past a number of defenders and batter the ball in the top corner.  Ross isn't one of them.  To me he is not really a striker.  Good to have at corners and tap ins sure but if there was a great chance in the box requiring a bit extra skill, he would be way down my list for that.

In my admitedly simplistic view, we need an out and out centre forward to spearhead with someone like Ross behind him to continue what he is good at, holding up, distributing, etc.

I appreciate Ross's great contribution to our invincible season, the goals he did get, his part in enabling others to score, he truly gave his share.  I am dubious though his style of "forward" will be as valuable in the Championship where the standard of defences is that bit better.

Maybe it's down to personal taste, showing my age, I adore Pink Floyd but I have always thought the Rolling Stones were laughable.

Long suffering reader of your posts.

“Not really a striker” despite having all the attributes of what you call an “out and out CF” and those traits leading to him scoring 18 goals last season? 

Baffling to me how someone can watch a sport for so many years and still not understand it.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That style of forward has been valuable for world cup winners over the last few years never mind championship sides. Olivier giroud comes to mind. He did the dirty work for mbappe and his colleagues and was always seen as a vital cog in that french team even though he couldn't go past 3 or 4 players and hammer it in the top corner.  His scoring record wasn't great but he did a vital job.  As someone else mentioned dykes is another player who won't score a barrowload but Christ we missed him in Germany.

You say Giroud’s goal scoring record isn’t great but he’s France’s all time top scorer.

27 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

You say Giroud’s goal scoring record isn’t great but he’s France’s all time top scorer.

This is why you can't take a lot of comments seriously. That's a belter from the OP.

Edited by Hartleys18/19Army

2 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

This is why you can't take a lot of comments seriously. That's a better from the OP.

The fact he is their all time top scorer just adds to OP’s point too.

@Long Suffering Bairn thinks that because MacIver can’t Messi his way past three defenders to score means he isn’t a striker, never mind a good one.

MacIver's value to the team shouldn't be in question but i do think as a team we miss a lot of chances and the front four need to be more clinical across the board. Luckily we create a lot and that's gotten us by (in style!) but we have to imagine we'll have more games like Ayr last week where we need to put our chances away.

Catch 22 really...... McIver starts taking all or most of the chances that do come his way he won't be with us for long and is a big part in why he is playing at this level.

I think he is still improving, if he does become (even?!) more clinical we will be back trying to find a striker in a similar mould that is effective as him, which is a lot harder than a lot of our fans seem to think at this level.

Will be good to get him some very strong competition though as think that will help his development too.

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

McIvor is one of these players that's a players player that is more than the sum of the goals he scores. For over a season because of the disruption he causes with the opposition, he creates the same again goals wise for his teammates. An indicator on how he is appreciated by the fans is the ongoing discussion regarding signing somebody as cover.

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

We all type something & maybe go why did I say that?

But not the same horrific take twice, that really does take the biscuit (to use an old saying for you).

The days of the head down no nonsense mindless striker are a thing of the past. Defences know how to deal with them so they have mostly disappeared. Attacking play comes mostly outside the box these days as can be seen in the spread of our goalscorers last season. Goals in the box from set pieces are the domain of defenders in modern football.

What a very disrespectful post.

As I’ve mentioned previously, I work with one of our players mum’s and I can absolutely tell you that Ross MacIver is 150% adored by his team mates because of what he brings to the team.

He is one of the most committed players in the squad, and that’s high praise indeed in this current squad and would run through a brick wall for his team mates, the coaching staff, John McGlynn and the fans.

I don’t mind fans having opinions and of course they should differ but what you have typed is pure and utter pish and should be shoved where the sun don’t shine.

3 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Holy f**k. I thought after the reaction to your “dribbling and swerving” nonsense you might have called it a day on this 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Absolute drivel. Some of our fans have such a lack of football knowledge it is scary. 

3 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Football isn’t for you. 

27 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Football isn’t for you. 

yes, I must have learned nothing for watching Falkirk for over 50 years. 

Just because I don't like a specific player as much as some other's do does not warrant the personal attacks from some other commenters.

My post was not disrespectful as someone claimed.  Not liking the way someone plays football is not disrespectful.  MacIver comes across as a nice guy in interview and is liked by his team mates.  I did not say I don't like him, I said I don't like the way he plays as much as some others do, if some other replier can't see the difference it's not my fault.

Yes I know this is a football forum and most people have deep set biases, but It's been all too common today to think if someone has a different opinion than you they are an idiot, disrespectful, don't know what they are talking about, etc.

I might not know as much about football as many, but I do have a right to my own opinons.

yes, I must have learned nothing for watching Falkirk for over 50 years. 

Just because I don't like a specific player as much as some other's do does not warrant the personal attacks from some other commenters.

My post was not disrespectful as someone claimed.  Not liking the way someone plays football is not disrespectful.  MacIver comes across as a nice guy in interview and is liked by his team mates.  I did not say I don't like him, I said I don't like the way he plays as much as some others do, if some other replier can't see the difference it's not my fault.

Yes I know this is a football forum and most people have deep set biases, but It's been all too common today to think if someone has a different opinion than you they are an idiot, disrespectful, don't know what they are talking about, etc.

I might not know as much about football as many, but I do have a right to my own opinons.

Other people also have the right to call out you’re opinions when you clearly can’t see the woods for the trees, however I agree perhaps trying to educate you would make more sense than just firing out abuse. Although the fact this is now the second time you’ve attempted to promote this “opinion” might suggest you’re not prepared to listen or absorb when others have tried to explain to you his role and the reasons why McIver is such and important player for us. Guys like Miller, Morrison or Nesbit would never have come of the back of such fantastic individual seasons and scored the goals they did if not for the intelligence and skill of Ross McIver playing as that focal point up front for us, even over and above the general effect Ross brings overall to our play as a whole the guy still also managed to throw in with 18 goals last season FFS! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Think already MacIver has proven his worth to the team this season. 
Just to give a comparison to another striker, I used to get really frustrated at Lyle Taylor who never followed the play and clearly seemed disinterested a lot of the time. He has clearly learned a lt since he was with us and made a decent career for himself. Looking at the work MacIver does, he always gives the defence and midfield an option and creates space all around him. Not saying he will be the goal scorer Taylor was for us at this level but the opportunities the rest of the team get because of his football brain and hard work can’t be underestimated.
Yes he is not what you would have considered to be an old school centre forward but times have changed. The key to attacking in modern day football is to pull defenders out of position to create the space for the attacking 3 (or 5).

Try watching where Ross is when others have a chance and you will soon realise his value which does not get recorded as goals or assists.

All the talk of other players coming in to fight him for his place such as Oakley or Todorov would not be a like for like replacement but we would need a change of style to accommodate them.