The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Bigbrbairn said:

John Clark. God he could hit a ball.

I would not have volunteered to be in the wall if he was hitting a free kick. Vague distant memories of him battering a couple in against Motherwell but I think we still lost. 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, Nicky Henderson mazy and a John Clark thunderb*****d that I believe went right through the net and is still travelling.

I was there 😀

56 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

Surely you go to watch and support the team and not care about the surroundings when you are there.

It's all the better when you beat these teams in this type of environment.

There's a balance between that and not wanting yourself or maybe a kid to be shepherded about an environment where you will face 90 mins of sectarianism, spitting, coins etc being launched at you 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There's a balance between that and not wanting yourself or maybe a kid to be shepherded about an environment where you will face 90 mins of sectarianism, spitting, coins etc being launched at you 

A kid I accept, and I am not condoning any of that crap for anyone, however I'm certainly not going to bow down to it and not go.

I can't remember anything I couldn't deal with when watching Falkirk at these stadiums. 

23 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

I can't remember anything I couldn't deal with when watching Falkirk at these stadiums. 

1997 cup semi final against Celtic. First game, which I'm sure was played on a beautiful sunny day. I took the car through and parked up nearby. Because the weather was so nice my mate and I went to the game with just our Falkirk tops on. 

Afterwards, we're walking back to the car. It turns out we'd parked at the wrong end because we were surrounded by Celtic fans. Just the two of us. The adults seemed to be fine. But there were a group of 3 or 4 wee boys, probably less then ten years old, who thought it would be funny to spit on us. Which they did. For a period which felt like an eternity but was probably no more than ten minutes. Had we smashed them we would almost certainly have been jumped on by dozens of Celtic fans. You can't attack children. So I didn't try. I spoke to the adults around them and asked if they would control their kids and none of them did. To a man they all thought it was funny. 

I have never gone more mental at the end of a game than the replay when we put them out. That game can't be bettered as my favourite of all time, even if we somehow achieve the impossible and win the cup in my lifetime.  

After the replay we drove home, dived into Elliots and then a group of us went back to Steely's flat afterwards. We drank until the booze ran out around 5am and then two hours later I was in work, with an employer which had a zero tolerance to alcohol. How I didn't get sacked that day I'll never know. 

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Did we beat them at Hampden in the league will Celtic Park was being done up?

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, Nicky Henderson mazy and a John Clark thunderb*****d that I believe went right through the net and is still travelling.

Here you go.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

1997 cup semi final against Celtic. First game, which I'm sure was played on a beautiful sunny day. I took the car through and parked up nearby. Because the weather was so nice my mate and I went to the game with just our Falkirk tops on. 

Afterwards, we're walking back to the car. It turns out we'd parked at the wrong end because we were surrounded by Celtic fans. Just the two of us. The adults seemed to be fine. But there were a group of 3 or 4 wee boys, probably less then ten years old, who thought it would be funny to spit on us. Which they did. For a period which felt like an eternity but was probably no more than ten minutes. Had we smashed them we would almost certainly have been jumped on by dozens of Celtic fans. You can't attack children. So I didn't try. I spoke to the adults around them and asked if they would control their kids and none of them did. To a man they all thought it was funny. 

I have never gone more mental at the end of a game than the replay when we put them out. That game can't be bettered as my favourite of all time, even if we somehow achieve the impossible and win the cup in my lifetime.  

After the replay we drove home, dived into Elliots and then a group of us went back to Steely's flat afterwards. We drank until the booze ran out around 5am and then two hours later I was in work, with an employer which had a zero tolerance to alcohol. How I didn't get sacked that day I'll never know. 

I was at Scott’s that night too! Remember looking around the room as we were watching the highlights and thinking I don’t know half the folk in here 😂

7 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

found a quiet place to hide 

I present it merely because we're included in it ...

Overall we've been rated 23rd in Scotland in the recently published Fair Game Index 2024.

It's very England orientated and the methodology opaque. I will caveat that the report mentions that Scottish clubs score better than English ones but somehow they come to the conclusion that we can learn from the proposed English regulator 🤷‍♂️.

An interesting study but meaningless.

13 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Off the top of my head:

TFS at home in the league under Yogi. Steven Thomson scored early and we held on for nearly the entire game for a 1-0 win.

This is a game I can still remember, I would've been about 10. I went with my Celtic supporting uncle and his two nephews on the other side of his family (also Celtic fans). We sat in the home end. I'm sure Celtic got a penalty and missed it too. I can remember going nuts when Thomson scored and the three of them standing up applauding trying to make it obvious they weren't Celtic fans 🤣.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

11 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I remember getting objects flung from above us when we had that small corner at Ibrox. Hostile against all away support.

Been the same the last few times we've been in that wee corner in cup ties. An awful place to follow your team away from home. 

Of course the sectarian bile and endless non football related singing that you get at those two grounds is also f**king shite to have to sit through - especially if you're getting gubbed.

It's never stopped me going but I can understand why some folk, especially those with young kids, would chose not to bother.

The numerous "Ayrshire loyals" or "Ayr Emerald" banners and flags f**king does my nut in as well - no doubt similar for you.

12 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Similar, home at 5 for a 7 start.

Best feeling I think I've ever had after a game, leading up to my first cup final.

2 hours ago, AUcal said:

Been the same the last few times we've been in that wee corner in cup ties. An awful place to follow your team away from home. 

Of course the sectarian bile and endless non football related singing that you get at those two grounds is also f**king shite to have to sit through - especially if you're getting gubbed.

It's never stopped me going but I can understand why some folk, especially those with young kids, would chose not to bother.

The numerous "Ayrshire loyals" or "Ayr Emerald" banners and flags f**king does my nut in as well - no doubt similar for you.

Last time I was there, the other side of the partition held a bunch of what looked like mutated teenagers with advanced radiation sickness who spent the entire game screaming at us and trying to climb across for a fight. Utterly demented. 

Had to walk back for the car amongst their fans and never felt so uncomfortable as they eyed up my Falkirk scarf.

Not going back to Ibrox and the decision on Celtic park has been made easier by the date change - I'll watch the game from a bar in Spain (probably surrounded by full kit Celtic wankers) 

17 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

Similar, home at 5 for a 7 start.

Best feeling I think I've ever had after a game, leading up to my first cup final.

I was at Machine Head at the Barras for the replay. Listened to the last 10 minutes on the radio belonging to the wee old guy in the booth in the lobby.

Some jump around in there for me and my companions when the whistle went!

19 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

They think because they are left wing, pro Palestine and supporters of the down trodden in the world that they are sound. They are however just as despicable as their right wing, royalist arse licking, we arra peepul neighbours from across the city.

They are both bigots and I’d much rather anyone who follows their local club and resists the call of these glory hunting f**kers. I’m no lover of Thistle but I’ve so much respect for their fans for choosing them when they have the ugly sisters on their doorsteps.

Never had a problem at Partick Thistle and was always a good day out with good pubs locally and good crack with their fans pre and post games. Think their mindset as you do is admirable with a don't do Old Firm bigotry attitude.

23 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I’m sure 2500 is all they can give to away teams for champions league, Rangers matches, cup games etc due to their own ST holder numbers. 

Will this be a ST match for their fans?