The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

True, my main concern is that Yeats is really not a right back though he has done a fine job as a stand in.

I'd rather have Yeats than a 'proper' right back like Williamson, Tumilty, Doyle or Mercer.

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

I’m happy with Oliver signing. He’s scored a fair few goals for us, link-up play is good, and he’s clearly liked in the dressing room. Stats don’t measure stuff like squad harmony.

If there are still two contracts on the table, I guess excluding the loan players, then that’s what, an intent to retain 14 of the championship winning side? Have to say, I like the way McGlynn is going about his business. He’ll have the last month of the season then entire close season to make the final 6 or 7 signings, unlike many of our opponents. 

Get Hogarth, Yeats, Ross, Tait and Shanley resigned then sprinkle in some quality starters in the summer. Allan will be out the door. 

Salt Bae Steak GIF

Goalkeepers
Starting GK
Nicky Hogarth*
Owen Hayward (A)

Defenders
Finn Yeats*
Keelan Adams
Tom Lang
Coll Donaldson
CB/LB Cover
Leon Mccann
Logan Sinclair (A)

Midfielders
Brad Spender
Liam Henderson
Dylan Tait*
CM cover
Shay Burke (A)
Gary Oliver
Aidan Nesbitt
Starting 10
Callumn Morrison
Calvin Miller
Ethan Ross*
Alfie Agyeman
Scott Honeyman (A)
Rhys Walker (A)

Strikers
Starting ST
Ross MacIver
Ryan Shanley*

29 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Last season's Dunfermline are nowhere near the current Falkirk squad. 

I agree, but DA didn’t do too badly until their injuries kicked in. We’ll likely still have quite a tight squad, so how it’s constructed will be important. I hope the additional time bought by winning the league will help JMcG in terms of signings, but also gives the club more time to get extra cash in the door to boost the budget. Next season will be tighter, no matter what. Fans shouldn’t be afraid, but I really hope we don’t get overconfident. 

2 hours ago, AGPar said:

Football fans discussing the merits of a football player on a football forum. 

Absolute shocker. How dare they.

Blind loyalty is not in the make up of football fans. Everybody can see merits of some and deficits in others all through a season. It is called passion and should be part of us all. I trust McGlynn but have my views and grateful

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

I can’t watch the Montrose game as the kids are mascots at that farmer team that day so down in Perth. Selfishly hoping it’s this weekend. Otherwise will be switching all social media off next weekend and watching the game on delay at 8pm when we get home!

Is that a feature of FTV? I'm stuck doing stuff Saturday afternoon but could manage to stay away from the scores if its possible to watch back

13 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Is that a feature of FTV? I'm stuck doing stuff Saturday afternoon but could manage to stay away from the scores if its possible to watch back

Montrose game is on BBC Alba so will be on iPlayer 

Edited by RC55 FFC

56 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Get Hogarth, Yeats, Ross, Tait and Shanley resigned then sprinkle in some quality starters in the summer. Allan will be out the door. 

Salt Bae Steak GIF

Goalkeepers
Starting GK
Nicky Hogarth*
Owen Hayward (A)

Defenders
Finn Yeats*
Keelan Adams
Tom Lang
Coll Donaldson
CB/LB Cover
Leon Mccann
Logan Sinclair (A)

Midfielders
Brad Spender
Liam Henderson
Dylan Tait*
CM cover
Shay Burke (A)
Gary Oliver
Aidan Nesbitt
Starting 10
Callumn Morrison
Calvin Miller
Ethan Ross*
Alfie Agyeman
Scott Honeyman (A)
Rhys Walker (A)

Strikers
Starting ST
Ross MacIver
Ryan Shanley*

I’m not sure there’s room for Shanley as well as Oliver tbh. I’d be looking to use the wages elsewhere.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'd rather have Yeats than a 'proper' right back like Williamson, Tumilty, Doyle or Mercer.

No shit.

I was assuming the days of signing imposters like that were over and we were operating on a different level.

3 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Grouping Doyle and Tumilty with the other two is harsh imo. Tumilty was fine for us in the Championship and Doyle was also okay in a team that would probably have scraped promotion under better management (and the absence of a pandemic...). 

Covid at least spared us from having to see Mercer in the flesh, on stream was bad enough. Ryan Williamson was, well... Ryan Williamson. Giving it large to the KM, only for Morrison to pop one in from 30 yards in 90+4, is defo a highlight of the season.

17 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Tom Lang out for the rest of the reason according to the Falkirk Herald. 😭

Announce Tam Lang watching the remaining games in the North Stand. It will sell out. 

15 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Heard a couple of weeks back that the injury could be bad. McGlynn now confirming that’s it’s a tear, in the same knees he had a serious injury with. Good luck Tam, get well and fit for new season. 

How much is not a lot of room?

With promotion all-but over the line, McGlynn revealed that the current squad won’t look too different come the start of the next campaign, with continuity key.

“I don’t think we’ll have a lot of room for bringing in new faces, I don’t think the budget will stretch that far,” he admitted. “But we will have a lot of continuity. It is what it is. “We have an amazing dressing room, the guys all get on like a house on fire.

39 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

With promotion all-but over the line, McGlynn revealed that the current squad won’t look too different come the start of the next campaign, with continuity key.

“I don’t think we’ll have a lot of room for bringing in new faces, I don’t think the budget will stretch that far,” he admitted. “But we will have a lot of continuity. It is what it is. “We have an amazing dressing room, the guys all get on like a house on fire.

Continuity and the camaraderie within the squad (and fans!) is very important. I'd rather we did this and added one or two quality additions (experienced keeper and CF) than were searching for half a team. I'm very happy with this and the way McGlynn has gone about his business with the contract extensions. I like every player in our squad and think they all deserve a shot at the league above, they've earned it. I think with the existing squad we will be comfortably safe next season and challenging for the promotion play off spots. We can always strengthen in January once we have a feel for the league and where we sit in it.

The Tom Lang injury might throw a slight spanner in the works in terms of recruitment if he isn't fit for the new season.

It's all very positive though looking forward to next season which is not something you can often say.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

33 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It doesn’t need a massive overhaul anyway.  4/5 signings in the right areas will do. 
he won’t run with less than 20 players so with those leaving this adds up 

47 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Probably more than the article suggests. 

We know there are two other contract offers on the table. For the sake of numbers, let's speculate those are Yeats and Shanley, as it was reported the latter has an option. (though we don't know whether that lies with the club or player) 

So for the out door you likely have six players. Hogarth, McKay, McGinn, Mackie, L:awal and maybe Allan if we wants to leave. We currently have four loanees in Ross, Tait Bisland and Long, 

That suggests there could be up to ten gaps in the squad. Though my guess is we'll spend more cash on better quality so the overall numbers will reduce slightly. Particularly as the modern apprentices will be in their second year and some of them might be considered ready to challenge for a place. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

I imagine Hogarth is the other contact on the table.  I am not sure he's done enough to find a big move for himself and expect he will be at least offered the chance to stay.

Contract offers seem to slowly drip out, so I expect we will see more of the current squad being offered extensions.

As mentioned this is a fast cry from previous seasons where entire squads were needed.   I believe the vast majority of our squad have already played at higher levels before signing for us. We did beat a few championship sides so no reason to think we couldn't compete at least to some level.  

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

Not good news for Tom but let’s us see more of Tait with Hendo in defence.

8 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

I imagine Hogarth is the other contact on the table.  I am not sure he's done enough to find a big move for himself and expect he will be at least offered the chance to stay.

Contract offers seem to slowly drip out, so I expect we will see more of the current squad being offered extensions.

As mentioned this is a fast cry from previous seasons where entire squads were needed.   I believe the vast majority of our squad have already played at higher levels before signing for us. We did beat a few championship sides so no reason to think we couldn't compete at least to some level.  

If Nicky is a player being offered a new contract.  The first thing I'd be thinking if I were him is next season am I going to get game time based on performances or am I going to be mucked about month to month with another keeper?  If so he would be better somewhere where he got consistent game time.