The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know MacIver has become poplular and has scored a good few important goals, but I am still in two minds about him.  He certainly has a great ability to tap in a goal from a a few inches, that is for certain.  A goal is a goal so I'm not being sarcastic, evey one counts.  I see him as a good sub, not as our central striker.

If I am on the fence about MacIver, then my brother certainly isn't.  He has seen him play about 6 times this season and he is fairly scathing about him.  He doesn't see a footballer there - no dribbling and swerving as you would expect from a striker, no great ball control, no rushing past defenders.  He just sees a slightly akward, not very athletic guy.   I don't know what Ross has done to him, but I don't agree with my brother.

But it is interesting how someone with no horse in the race can see that.

8ndffg.jpg

McIver is a big part of our success. He rarely loses an arial battle and his distribution is second to none. He is not top of the assist chart but if there was a chart for people who start an attacking move off he would be streets ahead. The dribbling swerving striker is a thing of the past. McGlynn likes a target man that lets others do their work. Burrell scored more goals but did not do a job for his team like big Ross

Edited by Bigbrbairn

MacIver for me has come on leaps and bounds since he rocked up last June.  Mcglynn has really got the best out of him. His confidence is high and he is a pivotal member of our front 3.  He wins virtually everything in the air against far taller defenders. He holds the ball up very well and is excellent at getting it moved on quickly. He isn't perfect and that's why he's playing for us. If he also had electric pace , could swerve and dribble and a thunderbolt of a shot he'd be earning a fortune elsewhere.  He's very unfortunate to miss out to burrell whose struggled for goals since the turn of the year. As we've seen though burrell contributes very little else to the side when he isn't scoring 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Morrison's is a cracker of a strike but the keeper should really have saved it as he got 2 hands on it whereas no keeper in the world was saving Ross or Lang's. Tough choice but I'm going Lang given he's a centre back pulling out a goal like that is just filthy.

Funnily enough I see it the other way around re: Morrisons goal. He hits it from fully 30 yards and it is hit with such power and from such a distance that even with the keeper getting two hands to it he still can't keep it out. What a strike.

1 hour ago, Roboccop said:

I’ve had a stroke and I’m stuck at home, but I just noticed this that cheered me. My apologies if someone else’s posted it but every single player except for Burrell. 

IMG_6379.jpeg

Get well chief.

6 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Looking at the article in the Falkirk Herald I can only assume there is a difference in what wages Finn wants and what the club are offering

I'd expect his agent is trying to see what's out there as they are always looking to make a few bob. We need to have offered him the same deal at least to that he was on but I would presume with us moving up and he having signed basically what would have been a pretty low value contract initially that the latest offer would be a step up in wages. If he'd been a free then I'd expect lots of interest from teams seeing him as worth a punt but obviously there would be a fee involved which will put suitors off even if it isn't anything major. 

3 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know MacIver has become poplular and has scored a good few important goals, but I am still in two minds about him.  He certainly has a great ability to tap in a goal from a a few inches, that is for certain.  A goal is a goal so I'm not being sarcastic, evey one counts.  I see him as a good sub, not as our central striker.

If I am on the fence about MacIver, then my brother certainly isn't.  He has seen him play about 6 times this season and he is fairly scathing about him.  He doesn't see a footballer there - no dribbling and swerving as you would expect from a striker, no great ball control, no rushing past defenders.  He just sees a slightly akward, not very athletic guy.   I don't know what Ross has done to him, but I don't agree with my brother.

But it is interesting how someone with no horse in the race can see that.

Is Paul Hartley or John Rankin your brother? They cannae see a player either.

54 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd expect his agent is trying to see what's out there as they are always looking to make a few bob. We need to have offered him the same deal at least to that he was on but I would presume with us moving up and he having signed basically what would have been a pretty low value contract initially that the latest offer would be a step up in wages. If he'd been a free then I'd expect lots of interest from teams seeing him as worth a punt but obviously there would be a fee involved which will put suitors off even if it isn't anything major. 

Agree. Difficult time for many players throughout football, many coming to the end of contract, many on deciding to extend, many looking for a new club, many looking at the dressing room and see most signed up etc. Haven’t a scubie about Yeats and like the weegie papers, the FH will spin on a coin be doubled headed. Hope we aren’t to far away from an extended deal, but the guy will know he’s had a brilliant season and he’s got interest from others, his agent will be key to what the next move is, let’s hope it’s another two years at the TFS.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Might vote Maciver for POTY now because of that, would round off the season nicely 

Might put a few faces out, but after the League 1 was announced, what a gesture to the big guy if the fans rallied round.

29 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

There's genuinely a case to be made that Ross MacIver has been our most important player in our system this season.

100%

On 14/04/2024 at 09:32, Sarcastic Bairn said:

He just doesn't lose a header for us, yeah he could be more clinical in the box sometimes with it, however his winning of the ball in the air mid pitch is so effective for our play.

The lazy press who who don't really cover games will think Burrell has had a better season just because of goal tally.

We've seen both for our team, I know who I would want, the team player.

Burrell can't even stand in a wall for the team without crapping it.

For burrell to score the amount of goals that he has in a poor side then I don't have a problem with his inclusion, it was never likely we would get a clean sweep. Ross and Rumarn are totally different players but it's not like Rumarn Burrell is totally shite.....

In terms of technique, I think the Ethan Ross volley probably is goal of the season. My vote will go to Morrison’s last minute strike against Montrose though. The importance of the goal at a time when it was tight at the top and pulling that out in the last kick of the game was huge.