The Falkirk FC Thread

The likes of McKenna, Shanley and Agyeman, even Ross, won’t be starters unless there’s injuries so I don’t feel the need to judge them too harshly based on limited minutes in pre-season.

Remember last season when McGlynn furrowed some brows for mixing the team up a bit, famously at Edinburgh, telling us that he had to keep the squad engaged and fresh. Then when the injuries and suspensions did pile up, he was proven right, Mackie being the standout example. And that was with a squad more or less the same size as he has now. 

1 hour ago, BPM said:

Maybe he had to get shot of Allan because we had overspent? Hopefully Jamie Swinney’s Falkirk Daft podcast will clear up some of the issues. 

I’m not really sure how a manager can ‘overspend’ unless you know something we don’t. Surely he is given a budget by the board and it is then up to him how he spends it?

I’d imagine any decision to go above the original budget (i.e to bring in another signing or offer a player more money) would need to be discussed and approved by the board. Surely it’s not just a case of McGlynn spending as he likes- it certainly doesn’t sound like that from his interviews. 

29 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Former Championship POTY and top-scorer is about as marquee as we could get - so far.

He was a part time player from Arbroath who was out of contract. I think “marquee signing” is a bit flowery.

He’s a signing brought in to strengthen the group who hasn’t had much time to show us what he can do so far. That’s it.

17 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Remember last season when McGlynn furrowed some brows for mixing the team up a bit, famously notoriously at Edinburgh, telling us that he had to keep the squad engaged and fresh. 

FTFY

C'mon, changing half the team at once was ridiculous, a gross error. Could have ruined our invincibles season.

18 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’m not really sure how a manager can ‘overspend’ unless you know something we don’t. Surely he is given a budget by the board and it is then up to him how he spends it?

I’d imagine any decision to go above the original budget (i.e to bring in another signing or offer a player more money) would need to be discussed and approved by the board. Surely it’s not just a case of McGlynn spending as he likes- it certainly doesn’t sound like that from his interviews. 

If he says he has no more money to spend and gets rid of Allan it tells me he had to get shot to get back into line. It looks pretty obvious to me. 

Edited by BPM

Think it’s worth noting the players were playing with confidence yesterday and looked to be enjoying it. They were trying flicks and backheels and looked to entertain the fans and put on a show. Great stuff.

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

Think it’s worth noting the players were playing with confidence yesterday and looked to be enjoying it. They were trying flicks and backheels and looked to entertain the fans and put on a show. Great stuff.

It was a joy to watch at times 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

I can just about forgive McGlynn for Edinburgh City for brining Dylan Tait to the club, what a fantastic signing. How he couldn't force his way into a misfiring Hibs team is beyond me, the guy has it all. Get him on a McLean-esque 7 year deal and count the money when he eventually moves on. He is still only 22.

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I can just about forgive McGlynn for Edinburgh City for brining Dylan Tait to the club, what a fantastic signing. How he couldn't force his way into a misfiring Hibs team is beyond me, the guy has it all. Get him on a McLean-esque 7 year deal and count the money when he eventually moves on. He is still only 22.

Forgive McGlynn for Edinburgh City? Did I miss something?

3 minutes ago, BPM said:

Forgive McGlynn for Edinburgh City? Did I miss something?

We’ve had it so good recently I think some of our supporters have seriously lost the plot.

Going to be some sight when we actually lose a game this season. 

10 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Absolutely. I’d argue the same for the likes of Adams and Yeats too.

3 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

We’ve had it so good recently I think some of our supporters have seriously lost the plot.

Going to be some sight when we actually lose a game this season. 

It’s unbelievable. The hardest support to please in Scotland honestly. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Aye I don't think you can count Flynn as he was nowhere even close to the first team when he moved to Liverpool.

First one that came to my mind was Tam McManus. 5 unremarkable sub appearances in the 06-07 season but was great for us in our first season down in the 10-11 season I'm sure he got around 8 goals in 16 games maybe? 

Mark twaddle was the opposite as was Blair Alston.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Aye I don't think you can count Flynn as he was nowhere even close to the first team when he moved to Liverpool.

First one that came to my mind was Tam McManus. 5 unremarkable sub appearances in the 06-07 season but was great for us in our first season down in the 10-11 season I'm sure he got around 8 goals in 16 games maybe? 

Vitor Lima was pretty much the same over both spells.

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yes lot of knicker wetting regarding mckenna. 

Must be because we are playing so well that people are just looking for something to complain about. Judging McKenna so early on and against such a small amount of game time is wild imo. 

3 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Must be because we are playing so well that people are just looking for something to complain about. Judging McKenna so early on and against such a small amount of game time is wild imo. 

We have a settled system which all the team even those on the bench work with. McKenna will be used to a much different formation at Arbroath so will need time to learn how his new team mates perform. The rest of the team know exactly what to expect from their team mates and McKenna has the experience to adapt. Will be used a lot this season i think