The Falkirk FC Thread

Really?

I would rather have him as some random youngster with no experience

Dods is fucking mince though! He's barely kicked a ball in 2 seasons, and he's ancient. We tried the experienced center back thing with Bullen, and it was a disaster. If we're looking at experience we should be looking at players a little younger than this. It's a shame we didn't get Grant Munro, he'd have been perfect.

Besides, defenders aren't at the top of the list of requirements right now, we still haven't got a single striker or goalkeeper!

Dods is fucking mince though! He's barely kicked a ball in 2 seasons, and he's ancient. We tried the experienced center back thing with Bullen, and it was a disaster. If we're looking at experience we should be looking at players a little younger than this. It's a shame we didn't get Grant Munro, he'd have been perfect.

Besides, defenders aren't at the top of the list of requirements right now, we still haven't got a single striker or goalkeeper!

Dods is not "fucking mince". You can object to this signing on fitness grounds (that's the issue I have with it) or say he lacks pace but if fit he is a commanding, solid centre back who is proven at this level and the one above. Being older shouldn't count against a player either, would you turn down Ryan Giggs or Davie Weir if they offered to play for us?

Completely agree. This reeks of the "next level" pish we were exposed to a few years ago and look where it got us? 11 games in 2 years? People were complaining that McManus wasn't fit enough to sign, never mind this crock. Plus a central defensive pairing of Scobbie and Dods, the lack of pace is frightening. Long long season ahead.

Dods is not "fucking mince". You can object to this signing on fitness grounds (that's the issue I have with it) or say he lacks pace but if fit he is a commanding, solid centre back who is proven at this level and the one above. Being older shouldn't count against a player either, would you turn down Ryan Giggs or Davie Weir if they offered to play for us?

I've watched Dods plenty of times over the years, and I simply don't rate him. Hardly playing the last couple of seasons, and his fitness issues, isn't going to make him any better either. That, is what I'm objecting to.

As for your question, they are two exceptions, and just two big names you've picked out, they aren't in any way relevant. I could just as easily pick out some shite older players to compare with. I'm not totally against signing older players, far from it, but I'd just prefer us to look at players slightly younger than this, unless someone truly outstanding (by our standard) becomes available. I don't believe Dods to fit that exception. But, we'll see.

I've watched Dods plenty of times over the years, and I simply don't rate him. Hardly playing the last couple of seasons, and his fitness issues, isn't going to make him any better either. That, is what I'm objecting to.

OK. His lack of games and fitness issues are a huge problem, I agree.

As for your question, they are two exceptions, and just two big names you've picked out, they aren't in any way relevant.

They're as relevant as you comparing him to Lee Bullen.

I could just as easily pick out some shite older players to compare with.

And I could pick out some shite younger players we've signed.

I'm not totally against signing older players, far from it,

So why raise his age as a negative issue.

but I'd just prefer us to look at players slightly younger than this, unless someone truly outstanding (by our standard) becomes available.

My take on it is that we're not in a position to be offering contracts which are over a season in length. We should just be signing the best players we can get regardless of their age.

I don't believe Dods to fit that exception. But, we'll see.

Aye, we'll see. FWIW I agree with you that he'll prove to be a poor signing but disagree with most of your reasoning.

That's comedy gold. I can't believe you're equating Dodds with Weir & Giggs. :lol::lol::lol:

Has Chris Hogg signed for anyone yet? I'd have been far happier if we managed to get him, instead of some crocked never was. <_<

They're as relevant as you comparing him to Lee Bullen

Are they? I think comparing Dods and Bullen is more than fair. Both 'experienced' center backs, around our level I guess, arrived at the club at about the same age as one another...well worth comparing.

I can see why you brought up Giggs and Weir, to sort of prove that some older players are still very capable. But as they are well above the calibre of player we're likely to bring in, then I don't think they are relevant. All my opinion of course, if you disagree then that's fair enough.

So why raise his age as a negative issue.

Because in this particular instance I do feel his age is a negative issue. I didn't rate him in his mid-twenties, so naturally I feel signing him in his mid-thirties isn't a very wise move.

My take on it is that we're not in a position to be offering contracts which are over a season in length. We should just be signing the best players we can get regardless of their age.

I totally agree with you on that. Maybe I'm just being too picky here. I just think there must be better options available to us than Darren Dods, that's all.

Aye, we'll see. FWIW I agree with you that he'll prove to be a poor signing but disagree with most of your reasoning.

That's fair enough really. Hopefully Dods can prove us wrong though, I'd love nothing more than him to do so!

I've just renewed my season ticket and gave a significant donation to the academy on the back of this marquee signing!

In alll seriousness I was going to renew anyway. :P With respect Dods I wasn't a big fan of his at St Johnstone but he seems to have done well at United and they also seemed sorry to see him go. I'll wait and see what he does in a Falkirk jersey before I make any judgements on him.

I'm not wholly against the Dodds signing - his fitness is what I am concerned about.

As I said on the FB page though, people were saying that experienced heads were what we needed when Hughes brought in Bullen, McNamara and McCann followed by Pressley - and we all know how that worked out.

Time will tell, I guess.

I've resigned myself to the fact he'll miss most of the season injured. Hopefully I'm wrong. What worries me is reports that Utd wanted to keep him - what are we paying him?

I'm also not too concerned that a defender is our first signing. I'd be far happier going into the new season knowing our defence has had a settled pre-season together. Most rebuilding jobs start at the back (think Smith's Scotland side as an obvious example).

It is a sad day though when I'm sorry to see the back of Mark Stewart.

I'm not wholly against the Dodds signing - his fitness is what I am concerned about.

As I said on the FB page though, people were saying that experienced heads were what we needed when Hughes brought in Bullen, McNamara and McCann followed by Pressley - and we all know how that worked out.

Time will tell, I guess.

Bullen, McNamara and McCann.....I thot one of them would do a job and the other two would be on the injury table

So hopefully with that opinion again Dodds may turn out ok, My memory is he was horrible at St Johnstone but solid when playing at DUFC

As you say time will tell, hopefully he can organise our defence, last season it was a joke at times, we had to have a two goal cushion before we knew the points were safe and I am sure we lost a lot of goals straight after we scored, for such a defensive team at times, we had a poor defensive record.....

Still piss up up north in July maybe the highlight this season.....

Not sure how it works with the compenstation if he moves down south. If someone knows could you please share!

If he moved to another scottisah team FFC would get compenstation for him, not sure if that applies if he moves to english team.

Pressley's just up on Falkirk TV explaining it, and we are due compo if we don't agree a fee. The cross border rule is that we have to have offered him a contract extension 60 days or more before it runs out. We offered one in October, so we're covered. The inside Scotland rule is 30 days.

It's quite funny to think how few people would have been at all bothered if Mark Stewart was still here or not 12 months ago.

He really was the sole bright spot from the disaster of last season. Actually, possibly the emergence of Murdoch as well, though his worth is yet to be determined.

It's quite funny to think how few people would have been at all bothered if Mark Stewart was still here or not 12 months ago.

He really was the sole bright spot from the disaster of last season. Actually, possibly the emergence of Murdoch as well, though his worth is yet to be determined.

He smoothed out a lot of his headless chicken act over last season, and he's definitely fast... Don't think we can afford to keep him though, shame we can't compete on wages with League 2.. huh.gif