The Falkirk FC Thread

Having watched a little bit of League Two football while down south, Mark Stewart could have a field day. He'd be up against the Hamiltonesque centre back thugs that seem to be the fashion in that division. If we could provide him with enough service to be the top scorer last year, any decent supply could see him in League One within the year.

On an aside, we did really quite well out of the Arfield deal compared to what Killie negotiated with Derby. They paid £350K for him with a a further £100K add on. And that's a Championship side purchasing a full international.

He smoothed out a lot of his headless chicken act over last season, and he's definitely fast... Don't think we can afford to keep him though, shame we can't compete on wages with League 2.. huh.gif

I will be very surprised if he is there longer more than one season.....and not because he will be sniffed up for a big transfer....

Yep he has pace but no brains.....skill wise isnt high either, the amount of times Ive seen him attempting to trap a ball and it rises to over his head is really not good enough. Yep play to his strengths which is pace to which he shouldnt have to trap a ball much but is a nearly man for me....he did surprise me on many occasions with his one on ones and scoring, but lets not forget the many games he had many one on ones and failed to score....I think Stirling Albion games he had around 4 in one game and scored 1....

I hope he does well as I do with most decent(ish) (added the ish for him) as I do with most ex FFC players that have given me satisfaction of watching and Stewart has done that, he was part of the lynch pin in formation with our escape from relegation playing wide and scoring against Hearts to win a game in the 90th min always deserves credit....

Good luck to him but feel Scotland is his level.......

I will be very surprised if he is there longer more than one season.....and not because he will be sniffed up for a big transfer....

Yep he has pace but no brains.....skill wise isnt high either, the amount of times Ive seen him attempting to trap a ball and it rises to over his head is really not good enough. Yep play to his strengths which is pace to which he shouldnt have to trap a ball much but is a nearly man for me....he did surprise me on many occasions with his one on ones and scoring, but lets not forget the many games he had many one on ones and failed to score....I think Stirling Albion games he had around 4 in one game and scored 1....

I hope he does well as I do with most decent(ish) (added the ish for him) as I do with most ex FFC players that have given me satisfaction of watching and Stewart has done that, he was part of the lynch pin in formation with our escape from relegation playing wide and scoring against Hearts to win a game in the 90th min always deserves credit....

Good luck to him but feel Scotland is his level.......

You feel Scotland is his level? He could easily cut it down south. Playing the the 1st is no real difference than the Conference/bottom half of League Two. Look at Showumni at your Tranmere. Any decent player can play well in a good League One side as Lovell and Arfield have proven. Guys like Charlie Adam can tread water in Dingwall and Paisley before eventually being on the verge of playing at Anfield. Even Kenny Milne found himself in the Championship once he was released by us.

I think we have to stop thinking about how a FFC player has performed under Pressley, May and under Hughes in his final season and a half. Making judgement on guys who played alongside stalwarts such as BOB and McBride is unfair.

He's had a decent season, one I feel he has probably owed us and I don't mind him leaving is he steps up to the SPL or moves down south. If he signs for another club in the 1st I'd probably feel aggrieved given we stuck by him while he mised chance after chance in the SPL for two seasons.

I notice Chris Higgins formerly of Dunfermline is in one of the papers this morning bemoaning having no club sorted yet. He's only 25 and might do a job for us.

Its in the Daily Record today that we have offered Micheal McGovern of Ross County a contract. I'd be happy with that signing.

Excellent with his hands but not great with his feet. Good keeper for 1st Division level.

I would save McGovern has the ability to be a bottom half SPL keeper to be honest, should do a solid job for Falkirk between the sticks. Always looked decent when I've seen him against Ayr and in the 2 cup games I went to with my dad last year.

You feel Scotland is his level? He could easily cut it down south. Playing the the 1st is no real difference than the Conference/bottom half of League Two. Look at Showumni at your Tranmere. Any decent player can play well in a good League One side as Lovell and Arfield have proven. Guys like Charlie Adam can tread water in Dingwall and Paisley before eventually being on the verge of playing at Anfield. Even Kenny Milne found himself in the Championship once he was released by us.

I think we have to stop thinking about how a FFC player has performed under Pressley, May and under Hughes in his final season and a half. Making judgement on guys who played alongside stalwarts such as BOB and McBride is unfair.

He's had a decent season, one I feel he has probably owed us and I don't mind him leaving is he steps up to the SPL or moves down south. If he signs for another club in the 1st I'd probably feel aggrieved given we stuck by him while he mised chance after chance in the SPL for two seasons.

Tranmere have played Showunmi to his strengths even though he scored a header for them..... :o

The rest of the guys mentioned all can trap a ball dead.....the amount of times I have seen Stewart attempting to do that and the ball has raised above his head is beyond a joke, something that no matter who the manager is or players behind him can improve...As I think I said a very frustrating player at times, yep did well last season but that shows you how poor this 1st division has become

I dont blame him for leaving, yep it seems to be for money and the worst case scenario is that he fails, makes his bank manager happy and will get a Scottish club again no problemo as it tends to be the norm for a player failing down south.

I hope he does well, but I just cant see it......

Berating Stewart for his ability to trap a ball is as redundant as blasting Darryl Duffy for his tackling. I'm sure a manager will forgive his striker if he's the leading scorer in the league.

Stewart showed enough last season to suggest to me he will make the League Two grade. To suggest that someone's ability is somehow limited by geography is crazy.

Berating Stewart for his ability to trap a ball is as redundant as blasting Darryl Duffy for his tackling. I'm sure a manager will forgive his striker if he's the leading scorer in the league.

Stewart showed enough last season to suggest to me he will make the League Two grade. To suggest that someone's ability is somehow limited by geography is crazy.

17 goals from a player played wildly out of position is some going in my book.

Playing Devil's advocate here but perhaps he scored 17 goals because he was being deployed in exactly the correct fashion last season?

What's the latest rumours then?

OutFlynn - away to Hearts/Dundee Utd/Huddersfield/League One

Stewart - Bradford

Scobbie - Killie/St Mirren

Twaddle - Killie

In

McGovern - Ross County

Stewart - Cowdenbeath

Re-signing Olejnik/Finnigan/McManus

I remember Witteveen scoring against us for Dundee (could hardly fucking miss though) & Stirling. I also remember him having the first touch of a rapist, and the mobility of Kenny Deuchar. Not for me, that one.

I haven't a clue who Gareth Wardlaw is.

Playing Devil's advocate here but perhaps he scored 17 goals because he was being deployed in exactly the correct fashion last season?

What's the latest rumours then?

OutFlynn - away to Hearts/Dundee Utd/Huddersfield/League One

Stewart - Bradford

Scobbie - Killie/St Mirren

Twaddle - Killie

In

McGovern - Ross County

Stewart - Cowdenbeath

Re-signing Olejnik/Finnigan/McManus

What what what?

Going back to the part time days till I had seen someone trap a ball like Stewart does....As far as I am concerned a full time player should have decent enough skills or the at least attempt to work on them, I have the same ignorance with players that cant even use their weaker foot....

If he does go down south in league two, he will come up against some bears in that league, there is a lot of long ball tatics used and he may do ok if he doesnt get broken and/if he doesnt have to come deep and collect the ball or play as a right midfielder, his touch is not as obvious playing in the more so in forward role and he maybe be ok and perform ala Showunmi at Tranmere and play to his strengths and play the ball in front of him or in the box and not let him think what he has to do....

I would love to keep him but I think it may have been yourself, share the same feeling that it has come that I feel disappointed that Mark Stewart is going......Him and McManus up top may have been a decent partnership

Pressley after Gareth Wardlaw and David Witteveen. Would love to see Witteveen come to us, but not so sure about Wardlaw. He's pretty shit.

St Mirren fans I know quite liked Wardlaw, pre to him being surplus...so their opinion may have changed....I cant recall seeing him to be honest, which tells me I cant comment, Witteveen seems like an awful player but simply is an old fashioned type forward who knows how to score...Im sure he has scored 3 or 4 against us and one with a 5 aside Stirling Albion team, dunno if that slags our defence or hypes up his ability to score tho....seemed to be blowing out his arse in that game later on and I dont think he had the bug that wiped out a Stirling Albion team.....Still would take him like I said I would last season, hindsight suggests he wouldve been better than giving Pedro another stay......