The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Which Championship team would you prefer in play offs?

Aye Arbroath but that's not going to happen as Cove aren't going to beat Morton.

Our biggest test will be Airdrie whether they secure 3rd or not.

11 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Would have said Cove a few weeks ago as they were shipping goals for a laugh but now I'm not too fussed. Think it's most likely Hamilton as they're currently 9th and I fancy Arbroath to get at least a point in that game.

36 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Anything… literally *anything*, to avoid roof, stadium or M&M chat…

Obviously we won’t know if it’s Airdrie or Alloa until tomorrow afternoon, but how are folk feeling going into the playoffs, what’s the mood? Optimistic; feel we’ll be able to turn some of our mid-season form back on when it matters? Pessimistic with our run of recent form and our record of bottling big occasions? Somewhere in the middle?

I am most definitely sitting on the fence (which needs to be lowered tbh). The pessimist in me still has the scars of too many clusterfucks, and the nagging fact that McGlynn has never come out on top in play offs regardless of the league plus him being stuck in the land of 4-2-3-1 which is tending to fail badly against 4-3-3 variations.

The optimist in me thinks we should have a fully rested squad, and that we will do no worse than draw the away game, and win the home game. That’s for the semi-final.

Then it’s back firmly on the fence for the final. Going out at any stage is bad, but going out to another L1 side would be disastrous imho.

As for “which Championship side”, then I really don’t care too much. Not through optimism though. Simply because that if we get there, then there is no doubt we would be able to beat them, but also there is no doubt that they will be well capable of beating us too.

22 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Cove or Hamilton. 

Arbroath are at least organised.

Airdrie are the biggest hurdle if we get them. If we end up getting them in the semi and beating them then I think we'll go up.

I think Cove seeking to shut up shop (like at Dens Park last week) is a false impression really. They have to try and win a playoff and that would be a departure from their attempts to shore things up. I don't think the greaseball would be able to change tack effectively. 

What's the deal with suspensions in the playoffs, is it two yellow cards and you miss the next game? If so I'll be on tender hooks with Donaldson potentially missing a game.

Edited by FFC 1876

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think Cove seeking to shut up shop (like at Dens Park last week) is a false impression really. They have to try and win a playoff and that would be a departure from their attempts to shore things up. I don't think the greaseball would be able to change tack effectively. 

If we met Cove, we have to accept that they will deploy their Dens Park tactic at our place, so any sort of win would force Hartley’s hand for the game at their place.

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If we met Cove, we have to accept that they will deploy their Dens Park tactic at our place, so any sort of win would force Hartley’s hand for the game at their place.

From my Airdrie perspective, Cove would be the preferred side to meet as they've had an injury crisis with Fyvie & Yule big misses for them. Definitely beatable for all the league 1 sides.

Always half glass full, but much trepidation with the play offs. Still think we’re missing a natural leader on the park, and relying on Morrison & Kennedy turning up. Relying on the GK to grow a pair as think he’ll stick with Kinnear. Relying on the CBs to do what is expected and cut out the stupid lack of awareness/getting tight on opponents. Probably relying on a RB who’s offski in a few weeks and Relying on a LB to defend so much better. Relying on the CFs (excuse the punt) to get scoring boots on.

If we can get the “relying on” sorted we’ll be fine……..

20 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

From my Airdrie perspective, Cove would be the preferred side to meet as they've had an injury crisis with Fyvie & Yule big misses for them. Definitely beatable for all the league 1 sides.

Ok, so you are going to deliberately lose tomorrow if cove are in the play offs? 
I personally think Cove will beat Morton and Hamilton will beat Arbroath leaving Arbroath in the play off. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

What's the deal with suspensions in the playoffs, is it two yellow cards and you miss the next game? If so I'll be on tenter hooks with Donaldson potentially missing a game.

FTFY. Apologies, I can’t help it.

52 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Ok, so you are going to deliberately lose tomorrow if cove are in the play offs? 
I personally think Cove will beat Morton and Hamilton will beat Arbroath leaving Arbroath in the play off. 

I don't believe any Airdrie fan is bothered where we finish given our horrendous play off record.

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

From a non football perspective I think we'd struggle for tickets at Cove as it only holds 3000. Hamilton 6000 (although unsure if that includes the temporary stand) and Arbroath 6600. 

Surely at least 1500 for Cove. Wouldn't see demand being more than 2000 for going up there. At least 3000 for Hamilton. Possibly 1500-2000 for Arboath. 

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No reason for those clubs to give us big allocations though. 

Money would be the main reason but they'd much prefer to give the opposition as little advantage as possible so it's likely to be minimal away fans I'd think

8 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Money would be the main reason but they'd much prefer to give the opposition as little advantage as possible so it's likely to be minimal away fans I'd think

I was hoping to attend all 4 games but I suspect away ticket availability will be the stumbling block

Accies & Arbroath would take the away pay day. Nothing from previous years play offs to suggest otherwise. 

Cove could well be absolute dicks though & limit an away club to a really small (but legal no doubt) number.