The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Like anyone pulling on the NB, I sincerely wish the guy all the best. Correct length of deal, and hope he makes his mark straight away. As said probably the best distributer of the ball, but needs to work on his overall awareness and cross balls. A decent new CH and RB will help.

That will all come with experience, don't they say keepers hit their peak late 20's/early 30's. 

We need to sign a right back. I'm not convinced we will sign another CH with Donaldson, McKay, Henderson, Mackie and potentially Watson all on the books. That doesn't mean I don't think we should sign a CH, just I think the money will be used for a wide player or some energy in the middle of the pitch

1 minute ago, FK1Bairn said:

That will all come with experience, don't they say keepers hit their peak late 20's/early 30's. 

We need to sign a right back. I'm not convinced we will sign another CH with Donaldson, McKay, Henderson, Mackie and potentially Watson all on the books. That doesn't mean I don't think we should sign a CH, just I think the money will be used for a wide player or some energy in the middle of the pitch

More than likely……hoping that he can wheel and deal and move some that’s still here, probably wishful thinking. 

Guest Brockvillenomore
On 09/06/2023 at 19:21, Zbairn said:

FWIW I have already told some on the Board what my thoughts on this are. 

If we are going to go down the route of English language lessons and the absolute meaning of "con"..... then perhaps I should have said "screw more cash out of punters for nothing in return".

Did you accuse them of conning the fans, or screwing them over?
This is the dilemma that FSS will face soon? The unissued shares are almost gone now the FD podcast said. 
Whatever way you want to look at it we will have to move to the full donations model of Hearts, Motherwell, St.Mirren etc. 

Serious question. Are you suggesting the FSS are screwing the punters for nothing in return? 

Guest FFC1965
5 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

Season ticket bought, skipped last year (first time in over a decade) as I was away for the first six/seven home games.

I found that without the ST I didn't end up going to games I would normally as I had to make an active decision to buy a match day ticket rather than it being a guarantee. Just shows how easy it can be to fall away from it.

Hopefully some signings this week to get us into #juggernaut mode.

I'm going to switch to PAYG next season.  Don't mind the club getting my cash but I attended 6 / 18 home games last season so that's around £50 a pop for a prime ST and its an easy way to save a few quid - I'll normally always miss league games in August and also the majority in April/May.   

I hope that it wont mean I fall away - will see how it pans out.  The good bit is that I can choose to sit anywhere in the stadium on a game by game basis. 

Looking forward to seeing the Navy Blue at Spartans next month - a dream fixture 3 miles from home - maybe a few beers in The Stockbridge Tap before the match.   

4 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

This is the dilemma that FSS will face soon? The unissued shares are almost gone now the FD podcast said. 
Whatever way you want to look at it we will have to move to the full donations model of Hearts, Motherwell, St.Mirren etc. 

Serious question. Are you suggesting the FSS are screwing the punters for nothing in return? 

ZBairn did say he used the wrong terminology but it’s not much of a dilemma for the FSS.

There was only ever a limited number of shares available so always going to go the way of FoH or other schemes where the money then goes to the club as a donation. Would be surprised if many members will be unhappy with that or had different expectations. 

The only dilemma FSS has is trying to encourage new members to join FSS instead of the FF. 

1 hour ago, Brockvillenomore said:

The point of fan ownership isn’t just to secure a shareholding , it’s always been the intention for the FSS to provide a steady funding stream and in turn give the fans the say on how that money is then used. It was always going to move from simple share purchase initially to an eventual means of funding our longer term ambitions for the club, the fan bank loan has allowed the share purchase to be expedited but it’s imperative the FSS continues to grow if the club is going to get back to where we all want it to be. I’ve also no issue if some fans want to simply donate to the club via the Falkirk Forever thing, if they don’t want to be part of the FSS for whatever reason then that’s fine but at least they are still contributing. I don’t get the thinking behind that myself but don’t see the harm in it either, it’s each to they’re own and any new money going into the club is a positive IMO regardless of which vehicle a fan chooses to donate via. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

10 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Go back and read the posts. Are you trying to restart an argument that was over and done with a few days ago?

I orginally was posting that the club could have used the 1876 vehicle instead of FF..... which gave nothing in return. At least with the 1876 club you have the chance of winning a prize.

I have not stated anything negative re FSS.... on the contrary they are doing a great job.

40 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Go back and read the posts. Are you trying to restart an argument that was over and done with a few days ago?

I orginally was posting that the club could have used the 1876 vehicle instead of FF..... which gave nothing in return. At least with the 1876 club you have the chance of winning a prize.

I have not stated anything negative re FSS.... on the contrary they are doing a great job.

It was a debate not an argument 😉

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The point of fan ownership isn’t just to secure a shareholding , it’s always been the intention for the FSS to provide a steady funding stream and in turn give the fans the say on how that money is then used. It was always going to move from simple share purchase initially to an eventual means of funding our longer term ambitions for the club, the fan bank loan has allowed the share purchase to be expedited but it’s imperative the FSS continues to grow if the club is going to get back to where we all want it to be. I’ve also no issue if some fans want to simply donate to the club via the Falkirk Forever thing, if they don’t want to be part of the FSS for whatever reason then that’s fine but at least they are still contributing. I don’t get the thinking behind that myself but don’t see the harm in it, it’s each to they’re own and any new money going into the club is a positive IMO regardless of which vehicle a fan chooses to donate via. 

I’ll bang the drum about it till it’s gone but if there is no point or thinking behind FF then there is no point or thinking about continually trying to push it. FSS should be the sole subscription donation model for the club. That’s not to stop the club having an alternate membership scheme or advertising the 1876 club instead. There’s plenty of options with no need to keep pushing FF. 

Edited by Van_damage

2 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

I'm going to switch to PAYG next season.  Don't mind the club getting my cash but I attended 6 / 18 home games last season so that's around £50 a pop for a prime ST and its an easy way to save a few quid - I'll normally always miss league games in August and also the majority in April/May.   

I hope that it wont mean I fall away - will see how it pans out.  The good bit is that I can choose to sit anywhere in the stadium on a game by game basis. 

Looking forward to seeing the Navy Blue at Spartans next month - a dream fixture 3 miles from home - maybe a few beers in The Stockbridge Tap before the match.   

I’m hoping for Spartan’s away in August and a few beers in the beer garden of the Raeburn.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

More than likely……hoping that he can wheel and deal and move some that’s still here, probably wishful thinking. 

I think we'll struggle to shift anyone tbh. Unless someone fancies giving us a few quid for Morrison. Fwiw I don't think Watson gets kept , not that he's worse than Donaldson, McKay or Mackie. 

7 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Was Watson not on hefty wages? Surely if he’s offered a contract then it’ll be on reduced wages

Not sure but he's had 18th months of it and injured. I don't see him getting kept I think his wage will go elsewhere, if McGlynn must keep him I'd be thinking pay as you play. 

Edited by ebobsboy

4 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Was Watson not on hefty wages? Surely if he’s offered a contract then it’ll be on reduced wages

The fact that Watsons going to be joining us for pre season suggests to me McGlynn is looking to sign a center back and is considering keeping him on. If we don’t re-sign Watson I think we’ll see another central defender come in. It will be one or the other. 

Does anyone have a home end silver turnstile sign from the last few years at Brockville laying in a cupboard/shed/garage? Looking for one for my home bar. 

Doesn’t need to be Hope Street but ideally home end. Ta. 

IMG_4343.jpeg.6aa0744c0a850a84b63d9814ef52c918.jpeg

Edited by RC55 FFC

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The fact that Watsons going to be joining us for pre season suggests to me McGlynn is looking to sign a center back and is considering keeping him on. If we don’t re-sign Watson I think we’ll see another central defender come in. It will be one or the other. 

I'd be looking to sign someone a bit quicker than Watson if that's the case especially if your partner is going to be McKay or Donaldson. 

I genuinely wonder about the IQ of people that say that statement. “Pay as you play”? We’re playing League 1 in Scotland and any player we sign will have bills to pay that cannot afford to go weeks without wages. Nobody at the age of 30 in their right mind would sign that and I fully expect the club wouldn’t even consider making such a ridiculous request. 

Edited by Rocco

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Not sure it was on this forum, but when Watson signed he was offered top bracket salary for this division. Don’t have any factual info, but he didn’t come back for league 1 wages.

10 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I genuinely wonder about the IQ of people that say that statement. “Pay as you play”? We’re playing League 1 in Scotland and any player we sign will have bills to pay that cannot afford to go weeks without wages. Nobody at the age of 30 in their right mind would sign that and I fully expect the club wouldn’t even consider making such a ridiculous request. 

Guess it depends the circumstances. Stainrod signed a pay as you play deal for £1/week and Vaulks played for nothing. As you say though I imagine there’s very few who would consider such a deal and would only be applied in exceptional circumstances or if the money on offer was a lot more to play than they could get as standard anywhere else.