The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Bairney Rubble said:

Anyone else remember Stranraer away 30 years ago? That team did not too bad for the rest of the season! 

Someone mentioned that early on. Similar pitch, similar circumstances. But we should have had way too much for that lot. 

See if we had been playing shite for weeks I'd be more concerned, Edinburgh was entirely on McGlynn not having any respect for them and thought he could pick any personnel and all we had to do was turn up and win. He accepted he'd fucked up. Today was a cup game on a tattle field against a side used to playing on it, we still should have had enough to win ofcourse we should have but cups throw up shocks and today we were one of them. It happens. I'll not panic just yet we are still 9 points clear in the league. We move on to Alloa and hopefully the three points. 

Never got grips with the surface today and didn't create too many opportunities as a result.

Have seen some Bonnyrigg fans comment that it was sweeter as they were playing 12 men! 

Not sure how that conclusion was reached when you factor in the late challenges which went unpunished; Miller being dragged out the pitch and the linesman awarding a throw-in and the corner they scored the winner from not being a corner! 🤷‍♂️

It's a disappointing result and shows how quickly football can turn. Only a month ago we looked unstoppable and now we're decidedly shaky. Any coincidence it's coincided with Longs return?

4 minutes ago, Bairney Rubble said:

Anyone else remember Stranraer away 30 years ago? That team did not too bad for the rest of the season! 

Exactly my thoughts.

although that side had Jim Jefferies in charge...

Kind of got what we deserved TBH. Losing a stupid goal early on set the tone. 
Clearly was waiting to bring on the fresh leg in extra time - it back fired. Frustrating to lose the record to such a poor side but the league has always been the priority 

26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Hopefully back to normality against alloa but I do have nagging concerns over what the last two games has done to the harmony in the squad. Six players flung in in a strange formation and then 5 of them having the ignominy of getting dragged off at half time. Then this week no subs only for four of them to get flung on when there is basically zero time to do anything despite a poor performance. Certainly  hasn't helped things that's for sure.

Sums up my thoughts exactly, these last two results were down to the management. Hope it's not a lasting effect on the player's confidence.

46 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Think it's important for the fans to stay positive, particularly at the next home game, a lot of complaining on negativity from the stands and we will be back to where we've been in the past which this team doesn't deserve, up to us to hold our nerve just like the players now. 

I'd say the manager "holding his nerve", getting his head on and back in the game - and very, very quickly - is of far, far, far more importance and significance than anything fans are or are not doing.  The team selection at Edinburgh, thrashing about chucking on four and five substitues at a time - it's certainly not been his finest week. I also imagine there's a few amongst the squad less than happy with what's gone, and with reason, so there's going to be a bit of man-management required there.

All just feels a bit reckless, a bit needless, a bit self-inflicted to me. Alloa away next weeks looks a pretty significant game, all the more so given that's it probably the last league game we'll play prior to Hamilton at home. I've no desire to give that vile wee mob any more encouragement.

25 minutes ago, Bairney Rubble said:

23 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I remember the long slow drive home on a B road that meant no-one could over take.

I just got back on Thursday!😂🤣😂

I spoke with the Bonnyrigg scout during the week quite a bit as I work beside him. He was at our game against Edinburgh and he said that they were going to target Long all game because in his words “he’s not tall enough or commanding enough”. He saw that in one game. He also said they were going to target set pieces and you can’t play on their grass. We knew this would be the case.

Another two goals for set pieces, Long comes for the first and gets no where near it and it’s in. Second one finishes with the boy a yard or so away from Long and he puts it past him. He’s got to be so much braver and sharper and come and punch that ball. It’s confirmed what I said weeks ago, Hogarth is the better keeper by some distance. 

The pitch is as bad as I’ve ever saw. My U18’s team I coach played on a better grass pitch this morning in the middle of a council estate. It totally evens the game up. We aren’t hammer throwers. We don’t play for set pieces. We play football and unfortunately we couldn’t do that today. We can’t make ourselves more physical or whatever have you , you either are or aren’t.

I don’t think any team deserved to win that. Second half they did nothing until the 90 odd minute. We had some decent chances, Donaldson in particular second half. Morrison with his 1v1 miss too was a massive chance.

Pressure is firmly now on us next week because of McGlynn last week IMO. We can’t go three without a win or Hamilton will be licking their lips.  

Edited by Tea and Busquets

1 hour ago, GMBairn said:

Disappointing result and a shame that's the end of a phenomenal run.

Normally love the cup but this year I'm only interested in the league, we had to lose at some point so this is better than in the league.

Major concern is conceding 4 goals to set prices in the last 2 games so that needs to be addressed. 

Alloa next week will be a tough game on a tight pitch so want to see the guys fired up to get back winning again.

Think it's important for the fans to stay positive, particularly at the next home game, a lot of complaining on negativity from the stands and we will be back to where we've been in the past which this team doesn't deserve, up to us to hold our nerve just like the players now. 

It's not tight.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

See a couple of roasters from other clubs have raised their heads, no where to be seen when we were on a 26 game unbeaten run. Just ignore the sad b*****ds.

^^^ absolutely raging

Sorry if no one else is impressed at you beating a bunch of part-time diddies in your fifth consecutive season in the seaside league.

Bonnyrigg fully deserved that, they should have been a couple up after they scored, Long was at fault for both goals

They were winning the battle in the middle and were working it well to get it forward or out wide effectively 

We looked busy but didn't work Paddy much, all fart nae jobby 

Thought we looked slightly better when we went more direct towards the end of the first half but we reverted to our usual style which wasn't working

Second half we were brutal, slightly worrying if this is exposing a softness following on from Edinburgh

If Cove beat Brora on Tues, Cove away will get pushed back leaving us only Alloa in the league before playing Hamilton at our place 

Pressure is on

24 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agreed. We should have won today - no excuses.

Not one player today above a 3 out of ten they just didn't look up for it, it was clear to see changes should have been made around the 60 mins mark embarrassing performance for a team sitting top of League 1 we should have had more than enough in our locker to see off the might of Bonnyrigg.

Let’s wrap this talk of “pressure.” Pressure was when we were 5pts behind Accies and worried. This is a wobble, it doesn’t yet even constitute a poor run of form. 

We shouldn’t talk pressure onto ourselves, that’s cowardice. We have a team who we know can blast any other in the division, because they have done.  We just need to give ourselves a shake and realise it’s far from won yet.