Depression

39 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

Has anyone had experience with CBT? I've had issues with my mental health, particularly in the past year and have been offered medication but went down the CBT route. I've had 6 therapy sessions and have found it very helpful and can feel a big difference. 

It has helped me in the past, in conjunction with medication it has lifted me out of low moods at the point where I needed the reset most after Crisis care. I am relatively stable now & a lot of that is down to CBT & following the principles alongside things like Mindfulness.

12 hours ago, stuart87 said:

Has anyone had experience with CBT? I've had issues with my mental health, particularly in the past year and have been offered medication but went down the CBT route. I've had 6 therapy sessions and have found it very helpful and can feel a big difference. 

Would always advocate this or speaking to a psychologist before trying medication tbh, if possible. 

16 hours ago, stuart87 said:

Yes I have found it to be very useful in the past - but only when I stopped holding things back and was instead completely honest with myself and the therapist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2023 at 12:19, FK1Bairn said:

Really struggling at work just now. Got a promotion in November and despite my initial gut reaction being to turn it down as I couldn't see myself enjoying the job, I decided to give it a go and see how it went.

Six months down the line and my initial gut reaction was right. The job's shite, there's no enjoyment in it and seems to now be taking over my personal life. I know my old job hasn't been filled yet and I've asked to return there and take a drop in pay (it works out at roughly £65 per month) but my bosses are refusing. 

Tried to get a doctors appt this morning but need to wait until tomorrow to try again. 

My partner has been great in supporting me but I need to be careful not to drag her or our son down with me. 

I could honestly greet right now

Nearly 3 weeks after posting this but today I had a telephone appointment with a Mental Health Nurse from my local GP surgery. After offloading everything to her, she has signed me off work for 4 weeks and prescribed 'sleeping aids'. 

She was absolutely amazing. I dare say that what I told her won't even scratch the sides of some stuff she will have heard in her time but she really was fantastic. 

I got a feeling that there's a reluctance to prescribe antidepressants and when she went through the time they take to get into your system, the time it takes to wean you off at the other end and the side effects I can see why that would be the case. 

I really would encourage anybody with any mental health issues to speak to a Mental Health Nurse than a doctor. What's the worst that can happen? 

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

Nearly 3 weeks after posting this but today I had a telephone appointment with a Mental Health Nurse from my local GP surgery. After offloading everything to her, she has signed me off work for 4 weeks and prescribed 'sleeping aids'. 

She was absolutely amazing. I dare say that what I told her won't even scratch the sides of some stuff she will have heard in her time but she really was fantastic. 

I got a feeling that there's a reluctance to prescribe antidepressants and when she went through the time they take to get into your system, the time it takes to wean you off at the other end and the side effects I can see why that would be the case. 

I really would encourage anybody with any mental health issues to speak to a Mental Health Nurse than a doctor. What's the worst that can happen? 

That's great news FK1 👍 hopefully some time off and some decent sleep will do the trick. 

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

Great to hear the system has ground its way into motion to help you, and it sounds like you got an excellent result from a very good nurse. I really wish we had more of that sort of frank discussion of medication benefits and issues here in the U.S., but here it’s medicate and don’t talk that gets paid for…and I think it probably kills people! Hopefully the trend here toward PA’s and NP’s will also give use Mental Health Nurses (now we just need universal health care and paid time off if medically recommended).

Through direct observation, I’ve seen exactly what that nurse was talking about, and worse. People get the impression the medication will immediately help, but (as you said) it takes weeks to reach an effective level AND those anti-depressants are very much a crap shoot. I’ve seen data that says many patients take three to five medication changes before finding the one and the dose that works reliability. As for the weening off, that’s a nasty secret the pharmaceutical industry doesn’t want anyone to know. The first couple of generations weren’t too bad, but the more recent medications can have very significant side effects unless you step down off them very carefully. None of this is to discourage those who need medication, but the earlier you get help, the better the result is likely to be.

11 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Does anyone have experience of Sertraline?  Just started taking it and my god it’s hard.

I took Setraline years and years ago (late teens to early twenties), and I personally found I was better off without it. Fluoxetine however for me is a game changer and esimate that I'll be on it for while. I understand everything works diffrently for everyone. Hope you get yourself sorted though. Same goes to all that are struggling.

On 30/05/2023 at 04:18, Disco Duck said:

Does anyone have experience of Sertraline?  Just started taking it and my god it’s hard.

Hopefully you’ve already contacted your prescriber about this, because some of these meds just aren’t good for some people. If there’s significant issues or difficulty, a quick switch to another option might be indicated.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Hopefully you’ve already contacted your prescriber about this, because some of these meds just aren’t good for some people. If there’s significant issues or difficulty, a quick switch to another option might be indicated.

Cheers Tx.  I did that yesterday and picked up a different prescription today.  Given I’ve only been on sertraline for a few days I’m told I can just switch one to the other.  I’ve been on the new meds before and don’t remember any previous reaction, so hopefully will work for me this time.

19 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Cheers Tx.  I did that yesterday and picked up a different prescription today.  Given I’ve only been on sertraline for a few days I’m told I can just switch one to the other.  I’ve been on the new meds before and don’t remember any previous reaction, so hopefully will work for me this time.

Great to hear that, those meds are really quite unpredictable in how an individual reacts to them. The good side is the medical community seems to have gotten the memo on this unpredictability and has jumped in with both feet on the importance of quickly responding to situations such as yours. Remember it will take 4 weeks to really kick in, stay the course! We’re all here if you need to vent or talk.

On 30/05/2023 at 22:10, superwell87 said:

I took Setraline years and years ago (late teens to early twenties), and I personally found I was better off without it. Fluoxetine however for me is a game changer and esimate that I'll be on it for while. I understand everything works diffrently for everyone. Hope you get yourself sorted though. Same goes to all that are struggling.

What did you find were the main noticeable differences between the two?

5 minutes ago, Iminavest said:

What did you find were the main noticeable differences between the two?

Setraline, I found caused an increase in anxiety and in general just made me feel worse and that it was just not working. This caused me to patch anti-depressants for years.
Fluoxetine, I could feel working after a few weeks, with slight uplifts in my mood etc. There have been a few days I have forgotten to take it and I can tell when I have.

40 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I’ve had a great day and now I’m home I’m just so flat and sad

Pick up that beautiful axe you found and bother the neighbours! It’s all good, just a Monday…stay safe and remember we’re all here.

Month in the new job and today is a Bank Holiday Monday.

Can't be any better at the moment, busy but not stressfull, the hours fly by.

Only problem is lunch break, never any food left at the canteen, even though I can see the cooks with bags full of food to take home, nothing has been said yet.

Also very ackward situation, as my co-worker started the same day. A beautiful young 25 yo girl,whos name in Nam Peuang, which is translated to English 'HONEY'.

She asks me to call her Honey...

Hey Honey...cring

photos or gtf, i'll get photo 2morro

Edited by SlipperyP

14 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I’ve had a great day and now I’m home I’m just so flat and sad

Hope you're ok mate. Remember we're here if you need us.