The Arbroath Thread

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Il try to lift the mood here. What away days are everyone looking forward too next season? I really want Annan to stay up as they have a cracking social club. Kelty will be a new ground ticked off for me as well 

Not so much away trips, but with smaller home attendances, maybe we won't have segregation.  It'd be nice to be able to wander the ground again.  

1 minute ago, keptie said:

Glad someone else isn't on the verge of a  mental breakdown on here, talk about about a hard read.... Yes been a while since we visited a lot of these grounds, it'll be fun.

I have my opinion on the above discussion and a lot of what I think has been covered by other posters. No real point for me to add to it. What I will say is It’s embarrassing for the club and the individual needs to step down. 

Regarding a mental breakdown Stowes free kick that didn’t beat the first man on Saturday nearly caused that 

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Il try to lift the mood here. What away days are everyone looking forward too next season? I really want Annan to stay up as they have a cracking social club. Kelty will be a new ground ticked off for me as well 

Aside from the obvious I’m looking forward to Stenny. They’re a club on the up and are on the verge of winning their first ever title - a bit like us in 2011 and they’ll be buzzing next season.

Also want to see us beat Cove for the first time. Even though it’s not the greatest place to watch football, it’s a home game for me, my son plays for Cove Youth and sometimes trains at Balmoral.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

Aside from the obvious I’m looking forward to Stenny. They’re a club on the up and are on the verge of winning their first ever title - a bit like us in 2011 and they’ll be buzzing next season.

Also want to see us beat Cove for the first time. Even though it’s not the greatest place to watch football, it’s a home game for me, my son plays for Cove Youth and sometimes trains at Balmoral.

Not a fan of cove. Crappy wee ground with a very small social club. Not a fan of Aberdeen prices for beer either. The Stenny social club is a great wee place 

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I always really enjoy going through to Ochilview.  Its not that great a ground, the security staff are awful, they occasionally just jam us in the end of their stand while the terrace sits empty, there's no real atmosphere, but I don't know, I just like going there.  

I notice that East Fife are unbeaten since the :: checks notes :: 6th of February.  That could get interesting...

16 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Stirling - for the L2 title memories

Annan - great social club and worth the trek if its a cracking day 

Kelty - New ground

and Montrose - For the close away day and New Year game

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Not a fan of cove. Crappy wee ground with a very small social club. Not a fan of Aberdeen prices for beer either. The Stenny social club is a great wee place 

Oh yeah, I agree. Wouldn’t be going if I didn’t live in Aberdeen. They are building permanent end stands so that should improve the ground a little.

I’m obviously used to the prices here but it always pleasantly surprises my Aberdonian pals how cheap Arbroath is in comparison when they’re down for a game.

Just now, Tattie36 said:

Oh yeah, I agree. Wouldn’t be going if I didn’t live in Aberdeen. They are building permanent end stands so that should improve the ground a little.

I’m obviously used to the prices here but it always pleasantly surprises my Aberdonian pals how cheap Arbroath is in comparison when they’re down for a game.

Permanent stands behind both goals? 

I'd hopefully assume that segregation at Gayfield will be binned next season, another bonus

It was said at an AGM or Q&A (I can’t remember which) that it’s a permanent fixture from then on. I’m pretty sure we used it against Darvel in the cup a few years back when they didn’t bring many. 

Edited by lichtie23

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Permanent stands behind both goals? 

Aye. The details are on their website. The temp stands were removed a few weeks ago. The new ones won’t be as large as they were though.

If segregation is here to stay then I’d at least like to see us moved back to the switchie end, or at least have access to it apart from for the Montrose games.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

It was said at an AGM or Q&A (I can’t remember which) that it’s a permanent fixture from then on. I’m pretty sure we used it against Darvel in the cup a few years back. 

Surely not in league one, most teams in that league won't bring much support. Think they need to rethink that

Just now, Tattie36 said:

Aye. The details are on their website. The temp stands were removed a few weeks ago. The new ones won’t be as large as they were though.

If segregation is here to stay then I’d at least like to see us moved back to the switchie end.

Another negative about Cove is it takes an age to get out! Our supporters bus was stuck for about 30-40 minutes in the car park. It’s just one road out IIRC? 

Surely not in league one, most teams in that league won't bring much support. Think they need to rethink that

I’m just telling you what was said. This hopefully can be reviewed. Suppose that’s up to the the security officer, the boy we got from Cove in the summer 

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Another negative about Cove is it takes an age to get out! Our supporters bus was stuck for about 30-40 minutes in the car park. It’s just one road out IIRC? 

You’re correct. Better making a day of it though and getting the train up. Plenty good pubs near the train station then a taxi up to Balmoral and book him to pick you up round by IKEA for the return journey to town.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

And the rest. On top of all of that, there will be no tv money from the Friday night games, reduced catering sales, reduced merch sales (will the shop stay open?), reduced sponsorships etc even down to local pubs, restaurants and businesses seeing a hit on takings due to reduced number of visiting fans.

We will maybe be able to be run in a similar fashion as now for perhaps a season but unless we go straight back up then things will need to be massively scale back in future.

We don't get any TV money for Friday night games. It all goes into the pot and the Premiership teams get more of this than we do. 

It should be easier for us to adjust our budget than some other clubs but the playing side is definitely a priority over social media or analysts. 

Just now, Hammerafc said:

We don't get any TV money for Friday night games. It all goes into the pot and the Premiership teams get more of this than we do. 

It should be easier for us to adjust our budget than some other clubs but the playing side is definitely a priority over social media or analysts. 

The social media guy has divided the support. IMO that needs sorted out pronto 

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

We have guys like Simon and Fraser Clyne as fans who collectively probably have more knowledge of Arbroath FC than anyone that’s ever lived. The club should be using these guys as much as possible, paid or not, as opposed to folk who likely know or care very little about the club.

Much appreciated - I am, always have been, and always will be happy to help the club in any way I possibly can... However it is probably worth noting my 'skillset' is rather limited ;) 

From an archive point of view - I have plans to do a whole variety of things in the years to come. Since releasing the archive, I've got very bogged down in the 'minor details' which take much more time to research.... lots of improvements on friendlies, opposition player names, referee names, programmes, player pictures for our more obscure players and other bits and pieces have been added but I'm very aware that very few people see these things/ particuarly care :lol:

Once I've finished pissing about with the above/ as the year progresses I'll hopefully start to produce some more stuff that is more 'seen'/ of interest to more people..... I don't want to say I'll do X/ Y and Z and then it doesn't happen, but I've plenty of ideas with various things happening in the background.... :) Suggestions for things are very welcome!

Edited by SimonLichtie

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

Much appreciated - I am, always have been, and always will be happy to help the club in any way I possibly can. :)

From an archive point of view - I have plans to do a whole variety of things in the years to come. Since releasing the archive, I've got very bogged down in the 'minor details' which take much more time to research.... lots of improvements on friendlies, opposition player names, referee names, programmes, player pictures for our more obscure players and other bits and pieces have been added but I'm very aware that very few people see these things/ particuarly care :lol:

Once I've finished pissing about with the above/ as the year progresses I'll hopefully start to produce some more stuff that is more 'seen'/ of interest to more people..... I don't want to say I'll do X/ Y and Z and then it doesn't happen, but I've plenty of ideas with various things happening in the background.... :) Suggestions for things are very welcome!

Considering how much of our history and documentation was lost in the fire, it’s great to have someone willing to put in so much effort on this 👏 

Personally I would love to see you get together with Fraser to produce a definitive printed book about the club. Fraser timed his last one really badly, having it published half way through our first title season. Incidentally, I got the first two copies of that book before it went on sale. Collected them hot off the press from Fraser’s house 😆

I would say that it is a very important issue if the guy in charge of social media and first team analysis (😂) (who has replaced a stalwart, fan and volunteer who was doing a good job) is making things up and posting them on this forum about former club employees. Then getting called out for them by said employee and deleting them because they are indeed bullshit. That’s embarrassing for the club 

I would also say it’s very important that whoever is in charge of social media isn’t making stuff up for his shitty LinkedIn posts - as has been pointed out a lot of that post was birthday card pish and not true

The death threat thing though is an extremely serious thing to put out there - if it’s true it is beyond comprehension that supporters would tweet something like that and it is not on however I’m not so sure it is and think like the rest of the post it was exaggerated nonsense. It paints the fans in such bad light and if you’re in that position you cannot do that 

I am told that the death threats after the game in Wales were tweets sent that said something along the lines of somebody tweeting that they wanted Dick Campbell to get stabbed and somebody else tweeting that if they’d met Dick Campbell on the street that ‘he’d get it’ - I was told that people high up in the club blocked these people and deleted their tweets… after pointing out that the club account cannot delete other people’s tweets it was said that it was actually Twitter / X that must’ve removed them

Now if this is true surely the police would’ve been involved, surely a club statement would’ve been made and surely someone else other than our social media man would’ve seen these tweets - somebody tweeting that they wanted Dick Campbell to get stabbed is extremely serious and absolutely abhorrent - it surely should have been taken very seriously 

That is a huge issue for me, if this has somehow happened then fine, fair enough that’s disgusting and absolutely needs called out… but if that’s not what happened and that’s been said to exaggerate a social media post which is painting out Arbroath fans to behave in that way then that’s not something someone in that position should be doing 

That is all I am saying - that is a whole lot more serious than the spitting thing 

Edited by 1320Lichtie