Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

I think we may see many public & private bodies reviewing their background checks prior to employment and possibly looking into medical histories of current employees in charge of dangerous machinery.

I can begin to understand why the guy lied in the first place, not condoning it. His self-interest during the FAI is deplorable though.

My boyfriend is a train engineer. If they are off sick, even with a cold, they have to have a BUPA Dr approve them fit before they're allowed to work on the trains again as its a safety critical role. So some companies do.

This is a no win situation, 6 people are still dead, threat of prosecution means they won't get answers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boyfriend is a train engineer. If they are off sick, even with a cold, they have to have a BUPA Dr approve them fit before they're allowed to work on the trains again as its a safety critical role. So some companies do.

This is a no win situation, 6 people are still dead, threat of prosecution means they won't get answers.

The bupa referral is at your line managers discretion. Some people request to go for the medical to avoid doing any work. I've seen them done over the phone as well. So they can be manipulated.

What Rowan has said will probably be implemented throughout Scotland for all those who operate busses lorries etc stricter from now on but people can still slip through the net, the only way to stop this is to live in some sort of Orwellian society that will probably be achieved within the next 100 years .

Until then people will continue to lie in any way to get / keep their job because life in this country is expensive and we need to work.

I don't like Clarke for a number of reasons but this is still an almost unavoidable and rare occurrence

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34438129

Bin lorry driver arrested. I will make no further comment .

Evidently an independent offence completely unrelated to the bin lorry crash, although until the investigation is completed, I guess they can't use that as a 'past conviction'?. Any ideas on what the potential punishments are for driving whilst banned? Hefty fine, community service, the nick? :unsure2:

Evidently an independent offence completely unrelated to the bin lorry crash, although until the investigation is completed, I guess they can't use that as a 'past conviction'?. Any ideas on what the potential punishments are for driving whilst banned? Hefty fine, community service, the nick? :unsure2:

They'll be failing in their duty if they don't throw the book at him. Being banned on medical grounds has to treated very seriously - especially in his case when we've seen what he is capable of.

Watching the news this morning I wondered if he was working as a bus driver in Coventry now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34436360

Surely with a history of heart - related issues, the fat c**t should be walking everywhere instead of trying to drive illegally.

Seriously though, what a fucking arsehole. Clearly doesn't give a f**k or think he's done anything wrong.

Seriously though, what a fucking arsehole. Clearly doesn't give a f**k or think he's done anything wrong.

It shows a disregard for what happened, if I was in his position I would be terrified at getting back behind the wheel. Add this to previously trying to get his job back and lying about his health condition and it paints a picture of a horrible human being. The families of those lost deserve closure over this matter and that horrible c**t should remain behind bars.

Archived