The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

How would you measure 'biggest' objectively  though?  

The rankings pretty much replicate how things would look if the criteria was most successful - only the omission of Queens Park in favour of St J would be different and QP's success was back in the dark ages anyway. 

This might be a weird idea but hear me out.

We play games & award points based on the result. We then list who won the most points over the year. Teams that generally finish higher in that list over a reasonable length of time would generally be regarded as bigger.

I think the top 5 are obvious, the 2 Dundee clubs probably next but not much between these clubs and others that are generally in the top flight. Then teams that are occasionally in the top league.

56 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think the top 5 are obvious, the 2 Dundee clubs probably next but not much between these clubs and others that are generally in the top flight. Then teams that are occasionally in the top league

So who would you have instead of Hearts and Hibs?

19 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree this seems a bit bonkers.

I mean, you’re seriously going to say a team that hasn’t won a major honour in 50 (fifty) years are in the 10 biggest in the country?

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

8th biggest ya dick.  Should be 7th but seeing 'well are guid c****s we'll let it slide. 

What makes you think I was talking about your club??  And, just for clarification, 8th is classed as being within the top ten in many parts of Scotland.

I don’t think clubs who yo yo between divisions, or clubs that have gone bust a couple of times, can really be classed as being ‘big’.

3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

We play games & award points based on the result. We then list who won the most points over the year. Teams that generally finish higher in that list over a reasonable length of time would generally be regarded as bigger.

I think the top 5 are obvious, the 2 Dundee clubs probably next but not much between these clubs and others that are generally in the top flight. Then teams that are occasionally in the top league.

IMHO , based on their horrible recent cup record St Johnstone are a big team .

On 14/02/2024 at 17:17, Steve McQueen said:

See, I kinda disagree here.  Surely those clubs would just be better, as opposed to bigger. 

For example, Motherwell & Kilmarnock could finish above Aberdeen & Hibs in the league every season for the next 10 seasons.  It still wouldn't make us bigger than those city clubs.

People tend to confuse bigger with better.  For me, there's five big clubs in the country and I don't see that changing.  For the rest of us, it's a constant battle to be one of the better ones of the remaining lot, and even taking advantage when the 'big' clubs throw in a shocker from time to time.

Edited by Desp

On 15/02/2024 at 01:17, Steve McQueen said:

Nah, what you've described is something akin to more successful. 

If we take our 2 clubs as an example as well as our wee neighbours - by your measure you are a bigger club than both Dundee clubs.  Nobody believes that, not even you. 

BBC 'gossip' this morning...

"Ex-Rangers forward Fashion Sakala was thrilled to swap shirts with his idol Cristiano Ronaldo and said "I hope he'll keep mine too". (Scottish Sun)

Turkish club Besiktas want to sign ex-Rangers defender Joe Worrall permanently - despite the fact he has played just one match for them. (Fotomac via Scottish Sun)"

Thank f**k !

...I've been losing sleep over how these two have been getting on. I can have my Monday morning coffee at my desk with an easy mind now...