The Partick Thistle thread

3 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

Ah i see, Cheers.

could not find a thing about it online. how bad?

Was supposed to be back for the ICT game at end of March but now just back to "making good progress"

36 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Think 3-5-2 is the best solution to accommodate our best players assuming he doesn't see Mackenzie as ready to step up fully. I think Ngwenya and Mackenzie could cover at wingback and arguably suits them both better than full back. Midfield 3 of Bannigan, McInroy and Stanway or Robinson if you're feeling more adventurous. McBeth/Neilson also options if we locate any other fit centre halfs. Robinson and Fitzpatrick options alongside Graham up front. 

Yeah I did try and line this up with how Scotland play with 3 at the back and thought Milne could play the attacking LCB role in the same way Tierney does (though obviously not to the same level) with Ngwenya as the LWB. 

I still think it's far more likely we just see McInroy or MacKenzie shunted out wide and keep the same formation, especially when the defence has been relatively secure these last few games.

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Was supposed to be back for the ICT game at end of March but now just back to "making good progress"

Yeah I did try and line this up with how Scotland play with 3 at the back and thought Milne could play the attacking LCB role in the same way Tierney does (though obviously not to the same level) with Ngwenya as the LWB. 

I still think it's far more likely we just see McInroy or MacKenzie shunted out wide and keep the same formation, especially when the defence has been relatively secure these last few games.

Suspect you're right but would like to see Doolan be adventurous. 352 also offers more options for changing things I think. 

43 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

Ah i see, Cheers.

could not find a thing about it online. how bad?

Very bad. It was discussed on the previous page.

I hope Steven Lawless can at least get back on the pitch because that's a horrible injury.  It's the kind of injury that can rob you of explosivity.  However, the kid has a great left foot and I hope that the worst case scenario is that he could maybe move into the middle.  Wishing him well.

From Willie Paul (the pioneer) to Willie Sharp (the Old Firm slayer) all the way to Kris Doolan (the milestone man) and Brian Graham (Peter Pan) via (super) Maurice Johnston in-between, this brand new Partickle explores the exceptional Thistle strikers who've dominated particular teams in the same league season by bombarding their goal nets. An astonishing realisation re Brian Graham ensues...

The King Of The Slams →

bg.jpg

On 27/02/2024 at 21:35, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Hahahahahaha

Loltick pishle

image.gif.3af58e08483bc8e1992f63c3af581832.gif

Just the 4 points out of 24 for Greenock Morton since this very post.

On 28/02/2024 at 17:26, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Thistle to drop more points here, thus completely hibsing the 10 point gap they had.

willem dafoe GIF

On 29/02/2024 at 12:16, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Youve almost bottled a 10 point cushion, facts are facts.

Point gap update: 9 points with a game in hand.

Better luck next year chump.

ribery.gif.f72c25fe20b3dda7b063c9745e00b86a.gif.2ee80f4527e554a2791bea4d51ff4a44.gif

16 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

Just the 4 points out of 24 for Greenock Morton since this very post.

Point gap update: 9 points with a game in hand.

Better luck next year chump.

ribery.gif.f72c25fe20b3dda7b063c9745e00b86a.gif.2ee80f4527e554a2791bea4d51ff4a44.gif

They never, ever learn.

Any you would take from this list? Obviously not all would be attainable for us but I think a lot of decent names in there. SOD would be the main shout for me as McMillan will likely be away. Doolan will know him personally so it’s one that makes sense to me as I think he could give us another good 2 years in the championship. I would take Kerr back also as a more obvious one but there is plenty of names in there I would welcome personally. Any takers ? 

IMG_2009.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Doolan9 said:

Any you would take from this list? Obviously not all would be attainable for us but I think a lot of decent names in there. SOD would be the main shout for me as McMillan will likely be away. Doolan will know him personally so it’s one that makes sense to me as I think he could give us another good 2 years in the championship. I would take Kerr back also as a more obvious one but there is plenty of names in there I would welcome personally. Any takers ? 

IMG_2009.jpeg

Yeah, good few names in there that are worth going in for. Obviously all hinges on whether we get 3rd vs. 4th and how far we go in the playoffs.

Trying to pick a name per team but;

Aberdeen - Kieran Ngwenya... legit can't really decide, but Milne is hard to displace. Probably depends more on what he's like behind the scenes

Celtic - Rocca Vata has been highly rated on the odd FM game, therefore purely to make any future FM saves easier, him, why not.

Dundee- Shaun Byrne a standout name, with Raith at the minute.

Hibs - David Marshall a standout name, could be a Paul Gallacher type fix at GK (older head, previous Scotland international). No clue if he's still got it but surely still better than any of our current keepers. Might not get a first choice gig elsewhere in the top flight. Would be sniffing about if its feasible.

Killie - Kerr McInroy. Hm. I think I'd be disappointed if he ended up joining someone else in the league, and yet at the same time I'm not all that arsed if he stays either. Of the current loanees he'd probably be the one I'd be looking to keep (aside from Lewis Neilson who presumably we wouldn't be able to get permanently any time soon anyway)

Livi - Nouble, all day every day

Motherwell - aye, couple of ex-Thistle right backs there right enough. SOD for the nostalgia, don't care if McGinn has arguably held up better.

Callum Butcher is a ruthless thug in midfield iirc. Sign him up.

Rangers - as per Celtic, Zak Lovelace for the ease of my FM saves

County - mrhm. Simon Murray has had too good a season to end up with us unfortunately, would have loved the big ginger pain in the arse to be an option.

St Johnstone - Saw from the match thread that he seemingly was very good against us for Dunfermline the other week, so Chris Kane.

St Mirren - Alex Gogic is a ruthless thug in midfield iirc. Sign him up.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I really haven't watched much of the Premiership this season so hard to know even of the guys that I've heard of (refuse to believe Aston Oxborough is a real person) whether they're a candidate to drop down to championship level, on the likely assumption that's where we'll be next year.

We need a keeper, right back most likely, probably a defensive midfielder unless we're planning to try McBeth there again, at least one and probably two wingers, plus a backup for Graham or competition if he starts to decline.

I normally go FFS when folk mention signing old players but who wouldn't want SOD back for one last go? Would take Byrne as well but sure I read something on here when he signed for Raith on loan that for family reasons he needs to stay close-ish to Dundee or something. 

McInroy has been decent but I don't think we've got the best out of him, however I also think this level seems like his ceiling. Can see him being at Raith / Dunfermline / Falkirk next season.

Innes Cameron might be alright in the Adeloye / Dowds role of Graham backup, don't know if he's been injured / out of favour / both but only played 3 times since  November. Chris Kane would be better I think but Dunfermline might have first dibs.

Always liked Andrew Shinnie as well but will be 35 at start of next season so not really what we need, and he's from the north east so probably see out his career up that way

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Would take Byrne as well but sure I read something on here when he signed for Raith on loan that for family reasons he needs to stay close-ish to Dundee or something. 

This is correct.

He’s in Kennoway (or nearby) and has commitments outwith football which make him unwilling to travel very far. Which seems fair. 

From what I’ve heard, the club has already made the best offer it can to McMillan, and given he’s no signed it yet would suggest that he’s away. Fair play to him if Premier league sides are sniffing about. So we definitely need a right back, and I’d take SOD but the likelihood of us enticing him back after his starring role in winning the Euros seems slim.

I’d take Callum Butcher as the Abdul Osman replacement we’ve wanted for about 6 years. 

I feel McMillan has regressed a little this year so not too despondent if he leaves.

SOD would be an interesting signing but he is getting on but then he is SOD, so I'm on board with that. We'll probably get Paul McGinn if he doesn't get a contract offer at the Well, however.

I can't think of another younger right back we could target. Maybe there is one out there.

50 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I feel McMillan has regressed a little this year

I think this is true, but it’s also true that we’ll struggle to get someone of the same standard.

I always like Cammy Ballantyne that’s at Airdrie now - if he’s out of contract, might be worth a look.  I’d also probably take Tumilty from Accies. 

Would be more keen to see who becomes available around the championship, be this current loans at other clubs or players allowed to move on.

on the subject of a an outside chance replacement for McMillan - Miles Welch-Hayes would be my top pick, currently on loan at Dunfermline from Livvy (dreadlocks boy). 

I would take Chris Kane absolutely. 

you have to assume the club have made an offer to McInroy but I would keep both him and Ngwenya. 

We should be looking to League 1 & 2 for players who would comfortably make the step up to the championship and fit into our style of play. 

17 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Would be more keen to see who becomes available around the championship, be this current loans at other clubs or players allowed to move on.

on the subject of a an outside chance replacement for McMillan - Miles Welch-Hayes would be my top pick, currently on loan at Dunfermline from Livvy (dreadlocks boy). 

I would take Chris Kane absolutely. 

you have to assume the club have made an offer to McInroy but I would keep both him and Ngwenya. 

We should be looking to League 1 & 2 for players who would comfortably make the step up to the championship and fit into our style of play. 

Ngywena when he was not injured has been ok but nothing great would think we could do better.

Sometimes I can’t make up my find about McInroy- a passenger in some games but brilliant in other’s.

We likely need a new keeper.  Mitchell would be okay as backup but I think we will just offer Jamie Sneddon a new deal which imo is not deserved and would be the lazy thing to do

I'll be very disappointed if we don't go full overhaul at the goalkeeper position.

I've had enough of rotating bang average keepers every time they make a mistake, which we've been doing for years now.

I'd take Mitchell back, he's fine when not a nervous wreck being bollocked by the crowd. I'll not lose any sleep over it if he goes though and I'll be delighted when Sneddon is lining up against us having convinced another Championship team he's worth a go.