Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 hours ago, capt_oats said:

2 year deal with what now seems an incredibly optimistic option of a 3rd for Blyth too.

I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing but of all the summer signing Blyth seems to stand out as the worst fit. It just doesn't really seem to be working out, whether it's fitness/injury, he's not what McGhee's after or the player himself just doesn't fancy it IDK. 

For all Belic hasn't played if reports are anything to go by he wasn't costing us anything and was only here for 6 months, Bowman has a solid goal scoring record behind him at a similar level to Moult, Lucas seems fairly low risk for a 6 month deal and has a good Academy background along with international caps through the u-age groups while Heneghan, Clay and Tait haven't missed a game.

Even at the time when we were initially linked with Blyth his record hardly stood out, 35 goals in 117 gams and 17 of those goals were for Leamington in the Southern league, take that season out and you're looking at 18 in 80. I mean, it's not the worst and you'd maybe take a punt but hardly warranting a 2 year +1 option. He seemed to bounce around lower league clubs on 'emergency loan' deals when he was at Leicester, who knows maybe a side at a similar sort of level would be willing to take him off our hands, even on loan. FWIW: I've only seen Blyth play once, in a u20s game against Thistle at Firhill and he was alright, genuinely nothing more. He held the ball up, missed an absolute sitter of a header at the back post, fell on his arse a couple of times and generally looked a bit awkward.

I'm sure Blyth and Bowman were brought here with an eye on the future and its too early to judge either.  McDonald will probably leave at the end of the season, as will Craig Moore.  McFadden will probably hang up his boots and perhaps Moult will be sold.

Right now McDonald and Moult have the positions nailed down but next season I think there will be more opportunity for others to make a mark.

Blyth's been a waste of money, 3 appearances totaling about 40 mins of football so far 5 months into a 2 year deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's not convinced that his lack of appearances is purely down to injury either. Bowman I've not given up hope on yet but I reckon Blyth's just turned out to be a bit pish and slightly unhinged to boot.

See McGhee said he's in talks with Lee Lucas about extending his deal, am I the only one that doesn't really see the point? He provided some cover(when he wasn't injured himself) over the last 6 months but with the return of McHugh, the emergence of Campbell and the potentially imminent return of Pearson along with Clay and Lasley do we really need Lucas as well? Just seems to be a bit of a waste of money to me, I mean if he'd replicated his Ross County performance on even 2 or 3 occasions I could see the point but he's never really got close to hitting those heights again. Outside of that he's been fairly average in every other game I've seen him play, that's when he's not been injured and after finally getting his chance he potentially cost the team 3 points on Saturday as we were well in control until he lost the plot. Given he's going to be suspended for the next 3 games and will probably be injured for a fair few more as well, I think giving him a new deal will be a waste of money. Especially if McGhee is indeed also looking to bring Pearson back.

On a more positive note, I thought McHugh was excellent on Saturday and it was great to see him back. Everything I've wanted in a central midfielder for a while; reads the game, strong in the tackle, good sense of positional discipline, uses the ball well and after 4 months out to be tearing down the left wing setting up the equalizer in the 93rd minute on Saturday just typifies the sort of player he is. Sure I said it before he nearly decapitated himself against Killie but I think he's going to be a massive player for us. Also great to see Campbell make his full debut on Saturday, certainly tenacious and loves a tackle, covered an inordinate amount of ground as well. Hopefully see more of him as the season goes on.

Be interesting to see what happens this month, it's unlike the club to actually come out and say it's got a bit of money for a few players and it seems like they have players/positions in mind and have been planning ahead for once and it's not going to be a deadline day supermarket sweep Baraclough style.

Edited by Casagolda

15 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Blyth's been a waste of money, 3 appearances totaling about 40 mins of football so far 5 months into a 2 year deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's not convinced that his lack of appearances is purely down to injury either. Bowman I've not given up hope on yet but I reckon Blyth's just turned out to be a bit pish and slightly unhinged to boot.

See McGhee said he's in talks with Lee Lucas about extending his deal, am I the only one that doesn't really see the point? He provided some cover(when he wasn't injured himself) over the last 6 months but with the return of McHugh, the emergence of Campbell and the potentially imminent return of Pearson along with Clay and Lasley do we really need Lucas as well? Just seems to be a bit of a waste of money to me, I mean if he'd replicated his Ross County performance on even 2 or 3 occasions I could see the point but he's never really got close to hitting those heights again. Outside of that he's been fairly average in every other game I've seen him play, that's when he's not been injured and after finally getting his chance he potentially cost the team 3 points on Saturday as we were well in control until he lost the plot. Given he's going to be suspended for the next 3 games and will probably be injured for a fair few more as well, I think giving him a new deal will be a waste of money. Especially if McGhee is indeed also looking to bring Pearson back.

On a more positive note, I thought McHugh was excellent on Saturday and it was great to see him back. Everything I've wanted in a central midfielder for a while; reads the game, strong in the tackle, good sense of positional discipline, uses the ball well and after 4 months out to be tearing down the left wing setting up the equalizer in the 93rd minute on Saturday just typifies the sort of player he is. Sure I said it before he nearly decapitated himself against Killie but I think he's going to be a massive player for us. Also great to see Campbell make his full debut on Saturday, certainly tenacious and loves a tackle, covered an inordinate amount of ground as well. Hopefully see more of him as the season goes on.

Be interesting to see what happens this month, it's unlike the club to actually come out and say it's got a bit of money for a few players and it seems like they have players/positions in mind and have been planning ahead for once and it's not going to be a deadline day supermarket sweep Baraclough style.

Mildly disappointed that it won't be. The deadline day SWOOP for Tony Straker is among my favourite things to ever happen as a Motherwell fan.

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Mildly disappointed that it won't be. The deadline day SWOOP for Tony Straker is among my favourite things to ever happen as a Motherwell fan.

Oh aye it was great fun at the time, not sure it's the best of transfer policies right enough. Also big Tony was signed a week before the deadline along with Louis Laing, both made their debuts at home to St.Johnstone if my memory serves me correct and I'm pretty sure Laing got sent off after 10 mins.

JS56108475.jpg

George Long, Marv, Connor Grant and Nathan Thomas were our four deadline day signings.

On a slightly related note, I noticed that Nathan Thomas is tearing it up down in League Two this season, scoring goals for fun and was tipped for a big money move in January until he got crocked. Just goes to show you I suppose, in football one mans shite is another mans gold.

Edited by Casagolda

Posted about the Lucas question on Steelmen. I'm of the opinion that given he's started the last 3 and been involved in the last 5 (XXLWX though the last draw is largely down to him getting sent off) I'd be surprised if we binned him just as he seems to have got a run of games in the side. Granted he's not hit the level of the Ross County game but equally by all accounts the time he was on the park at the weekend our midfield has looked decent with him involved along with the return of McHugh. Assuming he's not going to suddenly going to be asking for dramatically increased terms then I wouldn't be against extending his deal until summer and seeing where we are. If he comes on to a game there's a realistic chance he could be a longer term option then great, if it's more of the same then summer seems an appropriate juncture to say "thanks for your time".

The impression McGhee gave was that the budget was such that we'd be able to recruit without others going out so given how patient we've been with Lucas, and the fact that using the Ross County game as a benchmark there's a feeling that there's a player in there then if extending for another 6 months isn't going to be restrictive then I'd say there's no harm keeping hold of him. As high hopes as there are for Campbell, Turnbull and Fry they're 18, 17 and 19 respectively.

There's an argument that Lucas fits in with players around an age-group we've actively been trying to recruit (mid-twenties) as well to try and balance out the gap between senior experienced pros and young guys breaking through which leads on to the biggest factor for me which is the decision that the management are going to have to make about Lasley. His deal is up at the end of the season, he's 37 and he's increasingly been the player to be sacrificed when we've been chasing games (which has been quite often this season). I like Lasley a lot but given the way the season has been going thus far it'd be a big ask to expect another season out him. For me McHugh is his obvious replacement but after that in the short term, based on the players who are here you're looking at Campbell.

Long story short, if extending Lucas' deal isn't going to be restrictive then I'd keep him about until summer.

Given last January we were pretty much forced to do some house cleaning following Baraclough's summer trolley dash (Clarkson, Reid, Twardzik, Robinson, Taylor et al) I wonder if there's any realistic chance of moving some of those whose deals are up at the end of the season but are on the periphery of things;

Brill, Chalmers, Kennedy and Laing are all out of contract.

From the reports of this year's AGM it's less of an issue this year as we've got cash in the bank but you'd think a couple might want to get games somewhere.

Laing's loan seems to have been fairly dismal. Notts County have just sacked Sheridan and it appears all their loanees are getting shipped back to their parent clubs.

Looking at the photos of the deadline day SWOOPS of a couple of years ago it's amazing how efficiently McGhee seems to have emptied most of Baraclough's signings. Samson, McDonald and Moult are the only two still in the first team.

If we do re-sign Pearson, which I think is more than likely, what are the chances of getting Campbell, Fry or Turnbull out on loan for 6 months?

Probably more beneficial for them rather than getting 5-10 mins here and there and perhaps the odd start each. I haven't seen much of Turnbull or Fry but on Saturdays evidence Campbell could certainly do a job for a team at the lower end Championship/League 1 level eg Alloa, Dumbarton.

If we do re-sign Pearson, which I think is more than likely, what are the chances of getting Campbell, Fry or Turnbull out on loan for 6 months?

Probably more beneficial for them rather than getting 5-10 mins here and there and perhaps the odd start each. I haven't seen much of Turnbull or Fry but on Saturdays evidence Campbell could certainly do a job for a team at the lower end Championship/League 1 level eg Alloa, Dumbarton.

The thing with Campbell, Fry & Turnbull is that they're 3 totally different types of player. Campbell is an anchor man, Fry a box to box midfielder and Turnbull a playmaker. Fry started the season well but has kind of tailed off. Of the 3 I'd say Turnbull would probably benefit most from a loan spell as in the Dev league he gets plenty of time on the ball, IMO he's an absolutely natural footballer; great touch, vision and range of passing but there's not a chance he'd get anywhere near the time to run games at first team level as he does with the 20s.

It really depends on whether any clubs at that level would want them. It was interesting to read Naysmith's comments about Thomas and how it was McFadden who made the loan deal happen; "He is a creative player who can play on either side or from in behind the strikers, he likes to turn and go so I'm sure he will excite the fans. He's at the stage of his career where he needs to be playing every week. We are lucky to have him as six or seven other clubs would've liked him to join them, but I have to thank Motherwell and in particular James McFadden for letting him join Queens. Faddy and I were at Everton together and have stayed good friends; he believes that being with me at Queens is the right place for Dom so I hope he is correct".

27 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Lucas is garbage. I would rather see Campbell get the minutes instead.

We definitely shouldn't be giving him a contract if we sign Pearson. Two from Pearo, McHugh, Clay, Lasley, Campbell with Cadden and McDonald options if we need a third player in the centre of the park.

Wouldn't go as far as garbage. He's clearly got a bit of talent behind him. The problem is he does something good and follows it up with an injury ruling him out for a month.

Or tries to boot the legs off Massimo Donati.

Either or.

I noticed someone asking 'Flow on Twitter if there was any truth behind rumours of us signing a Nicki Anderson - never heard of him, but seems to be a midfielder currently playing over in the States, and was with us as a youth.

Seems an odd one considering the noises re. Pearson, guess if there is any truth in it Lucas is definitely away?

I noticed someone asking 'Flow on Twitter if there was any truth behind rumours of us signing a Nicki Anderson - never heard of him, but seems to be a midfielder currently playing over in the States, and was with us as a youth.

Seems an odd one considering the noises re. Pearson, guess if there is any truth in it Lucas is definitely away?

At a guess it might be because the official Twitter is following the guy. For ages they seemed to only "follow" folk they'd some sort of engagement with either ex, current or players they ended up signing. They seem to have mixed it up a lot more now.

There's a wee "What do Premiership clubs have on their January shopping lists?" article in The Herald today that suggests McGhee is keen on sorting Lucas out on a longer deal and also that to the surprise of no one, Belic is off back to West Ham. http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14997853.What_do_Premiership_clubs_have_on_their_January_shopping_lists_/?ref=rss

7 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Surely on past record Bowman is ahead of Blyth yet even Bowman has hardly had a sniff.  As I said McDonald and Moult have those positions nailed down.

On Lucas my position is 'could we get something better for the money'.  Since I don't know what money Lucas is on that's a hard question to answer but I suspect it's not a lot. 

With McHugh back I don't actually see him getting many opportunities as it looks like McHugh, Lasley and Clay are all ahead of him in the managers thoughts. And if Pearson does return then he slips even further back.

Surely on past record Bowman is ahead of Blyth yet even Bowman has hardly had a sniff.  As I said McDonald and Moult have those positions nailed down.

Quite. There was a post-match from McGhee, I can't recall which game, where he basically said if Bowman and Blyth wanted to play then it was up to them to raise their levels to match Moult and McDonald.

I think it was Desp who put forward the idea that Bowman had been brought in as a longer term replacement for Moult and I think there's probably something in that.

With Blyth I just get the feeling it's going a similar way as Wes Fletcher did last season (who it seems has managed 1 goal in 14 for The New Saints since leaving Fir Park).

I'd be surprised if we didn't keep on Lucas, tbh. He's a fairly safe bet for McGhee, as he's had him for 6 months and knows what he can do. Presumably, he isn't on piles of money to be with us either. 

Can only echo the positive words on McHugh, the number of times he appeared from nowhere against Accies to win the ball and either clear it, or recycle it to someone else was fantastic. For someone to have been out for as long as he has, play as part of ten men for an hour, and still appear on the left wing and sling a cross in at the last moment is very reassuring as well. 

I meant to post this elsewhere, but I didn't have time because I wasn't back at work, but I thought Campbell was sensational against Accies. Must've been about ten minutes in he absolutely monstered their left back in a fifty-fifty, and tore off after it. I'd only seen him in highlights and the youth cup, so wasn't entirely sure how he'd step up, but he looked well beyond his years. The amount of energy he put in was just amazing. As a final word:

C1Bb23yXgAEhFIl.jpg

18 years old, first start in the first team, and you're running about with boots blacker than Dougie Imrie's mind and a collar popped like Cantona? Swag for days.

Edited by thisGRAEME

Like has been said, Campbell was really impressive. I saw him in the 20s cup final which saw him and Cadden absolutely run the show that night and was wondering if he could make the step up. The number of tackles he won on Saturday was ridiculous.

I hope he gets more starts than sub appearances. Don't really think coming on as a sub after 86 minutes helps anyone tbh.

I wasn't at NDP on Saturday, but I'm delighted to hear he was impressive.  Like a few others, I watched him in the Youth Cup Final and he was outstanding that night and I had high hopes for him this season.  It would seem like a natural progression for Lasley to be phased out over the next four months with the aim of Campbell being first choice at the beginning of next season.  

Going back to Dom Thomas, this loan to QotS is nothing other than a half-season trial, IMO.  He's finished at Fir Park.  If he does ok, then he may get a permanent deal at Queens.  If not, I can see him playing for a side like Airdrie in the seaside leagues from next season.  There's no doubt he has a bit of talent, but I would question his desire to be a proper professional.  We're now two years on from his first start, and he still looks like a wee boy in a man's game.  Of course, it's not as simple as doing weights and bulking up, but he should at least have a strength to hold off players.  Also, he seems to have no belief when appearing in the first team, as opposed to his 20s appearances.  That would tell me his mental strength could be questioned as well.    

37 minutes ago, Desp said:

I wasn't at NDP on Saturday, but I'm delighted to hear he was impressive.  Like a few others, I watched him in the Youth Cup Final and he was outstanding that night and I had high hopes for him this season.  It would seem like a natural progression for Lasley to be phased out over the next four months with the aim of Campbell being first choice at the beginning of next season.  

Going back to Dom Thomas, this loan to QotS is nothing other than a half-season trial, IMO.  He's finished at Fir Park.  If he does ok, then he may get a permanent deal at Queens.  If not, I can see him playing for a side like Airdrie in the seaside leagues from next season.  There's no doubt he has a bit of talent, but I would question his desire to be a proper professional.  We're now two years on from his first start, and he still looks like a wee boy in a man's game.  Of course, it's not as simple as doing weights and bulking up, but he should at least have a strength to hold off players.  Also, he seems to have no belief when appearing in the first team, as opposed to his 20s appearances.  That would tell me his mental strength could be questioned as well.    

Christ, don't say that on SteelmenOnline.

I get what you mean though. His last start was against East Stirling in the cup which I thought would be a great opportunity for him to actually run riot against a part time team and gain a bit of confidence. Turned out not to be the case as he was absolutely shit and got rightly hooked after an hour. Whereas Cadden, Hall, Maclean and now Campbell have come in and thrown themselves into it and looked good, Thomas has managed a single assist and bugger all else.