Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

8 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

You know ive agreed with most of what you said on this subject to an extent but that its fcuking bollocks. No actual police officer I know would follow orders to assault democratic participants and use firearms against unarmed grannies out to vote. Consider that the local Catalan police were actually acting against Central government orders and resisted the Garda Civil today. People like you posting generalising pish like this is what puts people off certain political arguments.

This is beyond political argument there are 2 different police forces in Spain ,the guardia civil are a step down from the military they are only used for this type of brutality,the local police keep people safe and public order.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

The EU would need to keep Catalonia in the EU , thus ending the Scotland membership debate, and when Brexit mess becomes apparent to everyone, it'll be an easier choice to vote for independence next time.

Except it won't. Far too many unionist loving fannies in this country.

2 minutes ago, McQuade said:

The EU would need to keep Catalonia in the EU , thus ending the Scotland membership debate, and when Brexit mess becomes apparent to everyone, it'll be an easier choice to vote for independence next time.

I vehemently backed a Yes vote in 2014, however I just don't see how that would increase the appetite for Scottish independence. Not every Yes voter wants Scotland to be part of the EU. Folk seem to forget that. People aren't that thick; they know an independent Scotland wouldn't have any issues joining the EU and the growing appetite everyone anticipated after Brexit just hasn't happened. 

I've no doubt it will happen at some point, but it won't be any time soon, especially if the SNP lose the next Scottish election, which I think they will as the Tories and Labour will gang up on them in the run up. 

7 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Catalonia puts the es in espa...oh wait no.
Do spain have a Ross Kemp equivalent who can stand with a sign saying 'don't leave'?

The sign actually says "don't leave - or we'll kick the shit out of ye!"   

I'm kinda at odds with the initial EU response thus far. I'm a reasonably committed Europhile, however their initial media handling of this has really left me questioning what fucking use are they?

I'm aware of the politics behind them not supporting 'break away states' but EU citizens are being scudded with bats and shot at. Is it acceptable to them because Spain is a big European economy? They don't seem slow to condemn violence elsewhere in the world.

Perhaps I've missed part of the response and I hope I have, as it's left me slightly disillusioned with the EU as an organisation.    

Edited by Londonwell

We will enter the great unknown if Catalonia declares UDI.  Won't be an easy process if they do, but if they are successful, then it will render Westminster powerless if Scotland wanted to hold indyref2. 
Don't get me wrong, it's better to have a legally binding referendum, but the threat of not agreeing one at Westminster would be non-existent.

This is deluded stuff.Maybe the Scottish Resistance could just declare a vote then all vote YES and declare UDI.What about the Catalans that ignored the vote on the basis of it's illegality ? How would they react to a declaration of UDI without being consulted any further ? Its painful to see the desperation to cut n paste Catalonia as an example of the way ahead in Scotland despite it being nothing like here.Lets face it if they had a legal referendum and voted to stay put you would be saying they were "nawbags" and "shat the bed".Maybe not you personally but certainly a fair few on here.

3 hours ago, McQuade said:

The commission also reiterated that it regards the question of Catalan independence as “an internal matter” and that Sunday’s vote had been illegal. “If a referendum were to be organised in line with the Spanish constitution it would mean that the territory leaving would find itself outside of the European Union.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/02/catalan-government-emergency-meeting-spain-independence

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Spain needs David Beckham, Eddie Izzard and Bob Geldof to make this point

I used to like Eddie Izzard before he appeared with Jim Murphy.

Will never be able to eat penne al'Arrabbiata again.  Without or without a tray. :(

Hmmmm..... I was being ironic chief........but what a gesture of support it would be for the non shitebag folk of a fellow pretendy (although soon not to be) country.

The world is gonna have to eventually recognise catalunya. It would be to our credit of we are first, even if it is unofficial.

Wouldn't be any legitimacy to it. The fact that the non shite bag folk are in the minority.