c***s on the road

1 hour ago, Iminavest said:

Trip down to Falkirk for a gig yesterday and nobody was using the full length of the right hand lane before merging.

The result, two sets of traffic lights both gridlocked behind.

Screenshot_20220607-182246_Maps.jpg

Not familiar with the road but i reckon there needs to be road markings, signage, everything imaginable to scream out MERGE IN TURN. Maybe even USE ENTIRE ROAD SPACE or something. Probably still wouldnt make a massive difference, maybe needs hammered home more in theory/practical testing.

14 hours ago, Iminavest said:

Trip down to Falkirk for a gig yesterday and nobody was using the full length of the right hand lane before merging.

The result, two sets of traffic lights both gridlocked behind.

Screenshot_20220607-182246_Maps.jpg

The biggest issue with that section is that pre-1st lights, 2 lanes.  Between 1st and 2nd lights, 3 lanes, left is left turn only, middle and right go straight on into your picture. So those in the left lane at the first lights should either go left, of if going straight, pick middle lane for next lights. If in right lane, stay right. The amount of twats who sit at 1st lights in right lane, then drive straight into middle lane (ignoring the lane markings) and cut across cars on their left is unbelievable. 

13 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Not familiar with the road but i reckon there needs to be road markings, signage, everything imaginable to scream out MERGE IN TURN. Maybe even USE ENTIRE ROAD SPACE or something. Probably still wouldnt make a massive difference, maybe needs hammered home more in theory/practical testing.

That stretch pictured is only about 100m, after the traffic lights, not a lot of time for signage.

People joining motorways at ridiculously low speeds. 

Stuck on a slip behind an old c**t* who didn't get above 45 before joining a busy M5. I managed to hang back a bit and join the pack of frantically swerving vehicles behind him. 

*didn't actually see the offending driver but the car was a weird looking thing in an unusual colour (sort of tobacco). Along with salmon, aquamarine and taupe that's a colour exclusive to elderly drivers. 

Has anyone seen warning signs of variable speed cameras between M8 junctions 24 and 27 on the way to Glasgow Airport?  Got hit with a notice of intended prosecution for doing 67mph in a temporary 40mph at 0330.  Cannot recall seeing any warning signs or would certainly have slowed down. Looks like I was the Kunt on the road at that time.

I was up in the highlands recently and on a stretch of winding single track road. I met two camper vans in a convoy and we had all just passed our nearest passing places so there was a stand off. I reversed back up hill to a passing place to let them by as there was no one behind me. 
Instead of a wave of acknowledgment I got f**k all from either of the c***s. The daft p***k in the first van even had is nose in the air like Lord Muck. Fucking entitled camper van wankers.

5 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Has anyone seen warning signs of variable speed cameras between M8 junctions 24 and 27 on the way to Glasgow Airport?  Got hit with a notice of intended prosecution for doing 67mph in a temporary 40mph at 0330.  Cannot recall seeing any warning signs or would certainly have slowed down. Looks like I was the Kunt on the road at that time.

I got done in similar conditions, doing 50 on an empty urban dual carriageway, 30 limit, then another fine and points an hour later driving back. There was a hidden cop car with a camera. It's annoying when it's perfectly safe for the road conditions and if you'd been stopped by a human being they would probably have let you off with a warning.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I got done in similar conditions, doing 50 on an empty urban dual carriageway, 30 limit, then another fine and points an hour later driving back. There was a hidden cop car with a camera. It's annoying when it's perfectly safe for the road conditions and if you'd been stopped by a human being they would probably have let you off with a warning.

A few years ago there were roadworks as they finished the M6 near Carlisle. There was a big visible speed camera but no-one noticed the one hidden in scaffolding a few hundred yards after. Had to do a speed awareness course in Carlisle, about 3/4 of the two dozen folk there had been caught by the same camera. Instructor (ex-cop) said that camera was keeping him in work singlehandedly. 

Drivers who block exits/junctions. I was turning right yesterday, indicators on of course, and the traffic was backed up because two articulated lorries were having difficulty getting past each other, and the subsequent build up had blocked the road I wanted to turn into. Traffic moved forward only for another ignorant hoor to move forward and block the road. Do people have no awareness of traffic conditions?

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

People joining motorways at ridiculously low speeds. 

Stuck on a slip behind an old c**t* who didn't get above 45 before joining a busy M5. I managed to hang back a bit and join the pack of frantically swerving vehicles behind him. 

*didn't actually see the offending driver but the car was a weird looking thing in an unusual colour (sort of tobacco). Along with salmon, aquamarine and taupe that's a colour exclusive to elderly drivers. 

I think it's worse the ones who get on to the straight bit and break when they check their mirrors when if they maintain their speed or accelerated using the full length of the slip they would be fine. There is a reason it's a few hundred yards long but some folk panic if they aren't merging in the first 2 yards.

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think it's worse the ones who get on to the straight bit and break when they check their mirrors when if they maintain their speed or accelerated using the full length of the slip they would be fine. There is a reason it's a few hundred yards long but some folk panic if they aren't merging in the first 2 yards.

Mirror, signal, shit pants, PANIC! 

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

I've driven that way quite a few times recently and tbf I thought the variable signs were quite obvious through the roadworks and the westbound switch of the right hand lane. Might be easier to notice when in heavy traffic rather than at 0330 right enough. Unlucky. 

On 08/06/2022 at 09:26, Boghead ranter said:

The biggest issue with that section is that pre-1st lights, 2 lanes.  Between 1st and 2nd lights, 3 lanes, left is left turn only, middle and right go straight on into your picture. So those in the left lane at the first lights should either go left, of if going straight, pick middle lane for next lights. If in right lane, stay right. The amount of twats who sit at 1st lights in right lane, then drive straight into middle lane (ignoring the lane markings) and cut across cars on their left is unbelievable. 

That stretch pictured is only about 100m, after the traffic lights, not a lot of time for signage.

The amount of times I’ve been cut up by someone in the third lane going straight on but going into the middle lane must be in double digits and I’ve only been driving 3 years.

Then you have the earlsgate roundabout ahead and often the ones doing the right lane move are in the wrong lane when going either to Falkirk or Grangemouth/boness.

11 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

A few years ago there were roadworks as they finished the M6 near Carlisle. There was a big visible speed camera but no-one noticed the one hidden in scaffolding a few hundred yards after. Had to do a speed awareness course in Carlisle, about 3/4 of the two dozen folk there had been caught by the same camera. Instructor (ex-cop) said that camera was keeping him in work singlehandedly. 

They don't offer speed awareness courses in Scotland for some reason. 

I blame Presbyterianism.

20 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Yes I’m sure there are signs. The cameras you can’t really miss. What is the cost of the fine?

I was on that section last night. Some people were accelerating between the cameras which I found amusing.

On 10/06/2022 at 11:16, Big Rider said:

I was up in the highlands recently and on a stretch of winding single track road. I met two camper vans in a convoy and we had all just passed our nearest passing places so there was a stand off. I reversed back up hill to a passing place to let them by as there was no one behind me. 
Instead of a wave of acknowledgment I got f**k all from either of the c***s. The daft p***k in the first van even had is nose in the air like Lord Muck. Fucking entitled camper van wankers.

I think you might have confused snootiness with grim concentration and perhaps the aftermath of the terror at the prospect of reversing the ill-sized box into the ditch.

There's a degree of etiquette on single track roads that involves various inputs such as uphill / downhill, number of vehicles, size of vehicle, judging speed and distance so you're not stopping too early or late, etc and it's a skill lost on many.

3 hours ago, sophia said:

I think you might have confused snootiness with grim concentration and perhaps the aftermath of the terror at the prospect of reversing the ill-sized box into the ditch.

There's a degree of etiquette on single track roads that involves various inputs such as uphill / downhill, number of vehicles, size of vehicle, judging speed and distance so you're not stopping too early or late, etc and it's a skill lost on many.

Hardly surprising if they can't work out how not to block an exit/junction.

3 hours ago, sophia said:

Also, size of some the mobile homes, can you drive them on a standard car lisence?