Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Would be astonished if they do, will use regular facilities first.

Of course we have no idea how many people have actually had this so it's all bloody guesswork.

More changes of direction than a Tasmanian devil.

They have to release some restrictions soon, peoples mental health is taking a pounding and another 3 week announcement today hasn't helped.

Not in the context of the message being different from down South. Its obvious that they are responding to media (paymaster) pressure but even so, it's what folk want to hear and jealousy will kick in. 

It's a tough political game for scotgov now as folk start using that as a stick to beat them with, despite their motive for doing so being obviously non virus related.

On another note one of the reporters tonight cited an advisor who said community transmission is no longer an issue and that the virus numbers are coming from hospitals and care homes. That makes sense given that the virus is present with a conveyor belt of different people coming in and being exposed. I had been wondering, if lockdown was lifted tonorrow and I went about meeting folk who have been locked down for more than 6 weeks, who am I going to get it from? With that in mind, the lockdown may already be past the point of diminishing returns. 

28 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Would be astonished if they do, will use regular facilities first.

Of course we have no idea how many people have actually had this so it's all bloody guesswork.

More changes of direction than a Tasmanian devil.

They have to release some restrictions soon, peoples mental health is taking a pounding and another 3 week announcement today hasn't helped.

Seems like years ago that Wunfellaf was on this thread talking about Tasmanian Devils and their contagious cancer. 

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You have to think that if infections kick up post lockdown, they will fill up the temporary hospitals first? Surely to f**k?

Also, BBC running articles on locking down those most likely to be hospitalised... Hopenthis gains traction. Seems common sense to me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

The age breakdown of deaths is very significant.  It has to be a key factor when determining public policy for the coming weeks and months.

980F36E5-A47E-4325-9A96-2A65E840DEEF.thumb.jpeg.85dac80aa9426b924ec8f163a18afedc.jpeg

The age breakdown of deaths is very significant.  It has to be a key factor when determining public policy for the coming weeks and months.
980F36E5-A47E-4325-9A96-2A65E840DEEF.thumb.jpeg.85dac80aa9426b924ec8f163a18afedc.jpeg
Its fucking hard on those in the categories that will be affected, no doubt.

But as I have said before some twisted notion about being all in this together is not even close to being worth the damage that is mounting up day by day. If shielding those in a specific age group can allow folk to keep their jobs then it simply has to happen.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Tories have made another mess of this and quite rightly getting grilled.
Dont announce possible measures before a sunny bank holiday.
Madness.

They've clearly briefed on it to see what people think, and are going to act based on public opinion. It's absolutely pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I had missed call from an Edinburgh number earlier. I googled it and it’s seemingly “Ipsos Mori”. I can only assume they were wanting to ask questions about Covid. Anybody else been contacted by them? 

1 Yes

2 No

3 Don’t know

FTFY

Today is the first day I’ve saw a police presence in town. I dropped my mum off at the supermarket and I went to get a chippy and ate it in my car at the harbour. The police swung by and then a car parked up beside me. The police swung back around and asked them what they were doing, I heard the guy say they were going a walk along the prom. The police said something and the guy said about travelling being ok if it’s less than the time spent walking. The police said something else and the guy apologised and said they’d go back home, so they drove off. Quite glad they didn’t come and ask me why I was eating chips outwith my house 

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This pattern is true for most things in life, it shouldn't be surprising.

The reason Spanish Flu killed so many was it had an unusually high death rate for those aged 25-45.

The age data for covid-19 has been available from the start. It's just been ignored for reasons I don't understand.

So the Tory governments knew and did nothing about it.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-leaked-report-reveals-government-was-warned-pandemic-plans-were-not-sufficient-11984773 

This was part of the ST expose.  There is no defence for this and Johnson et al must be held accountable for decisions of successive governments.

Announcing a full three week extension is a mistake IMO: nobody is demanding the right to waltz into a pub tomorrow morning, but the Scottish Government and its counterparts would keep greater public confidence right now by reducing the extension period to ten days and updating the restrictions accordingly. The decision is obviously not as clear cut as it was towards the end of March and so a government that just keeps blanket extending its decree to the maximum time limit is not having an adult level discussion with its citizens at all. Sticking to the exact same mantra for fully nine fucking weeks in the face of changing evidence and place on the outbreak curve is not a credible response.

9 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

People are taking the piss at supermarkets, too many idiots.  The supermarkets are being shown on as the way to do things, they have shown how social distancing can work, so let's open all shops, garden centres etc.  But this is not the case, it is bullshit.  Social distancing is not working at supermarkets so why should business open again if it is using that as a benchmark.  I say that it should be locked down further, supermarkets and other retail stores should only do click and collect or delivery.  

This is the stupidest thing I've read on here for a while. 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

When a model used to dictate policy is as wrong as this, it deserves to be discredited.

Screenshot_20200507-194237_Opera.jpg

20200507_194205.jpg

What do you mean wrong here? 

This looks like if fairly clearly shows a very high level of uncertainty. 

It would be wrong to rely on the line as a confident prediction of exact numbers, but that information is provided in the model.