Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On the point about football games requiring police support, how many grounds in Scotland actually require input from the Police?
In the three lower leagues, I would be very surprised if it was more than a couple. 
If we shut down OF games, awarded their opponents the points then that would be enough police to cover every game in Scotland, problem solved.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

In all seriousness, I have no idea what to do at election time.

I want an independent Scotland. I realise that can't happen without an SNP government. But I genuinely don't know at this stage if I can ever vote for the SNP again.

Just vote for no one and only in an Indy Ref should another one take place.  That's what I'm doing.

18 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Think everyone should get themselves to Central Park tonight whilst it's still safe to do so.

Some lad on Twitter says 500 fans is a misery. He clearly hadn’t been to Central Park to witness the Thunderdome.

Would be good to get it to 1000. I am tempted. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Just vote for no one and only in an Indy Ref should another one take place.  That's what I'm doing.

Realistically would we get another Indyref if the SNP aren't in power?

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

In all seriousness, I have no idea what to do at election time.

I want an independent Scotland. I realise that can't happen without an SNP government. But I genuinely don't know at this stage if I can ever vote for the SNP again.

Same. I’m not voting SNP again anytime soon. They think they have a free pass forever because they support independence but independence might never happen and I’m not happy to sit and put up with piss poor directionless government in the meantime. They have been saved by the opposition looking even worse. It’s a poor situation.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

On the point about football games requiring police support, how many grounds in Scotland actually require input from the Police?

In the three lower leagues, I would be very surprised if it was more than a couple. 

We all know which game they mean when they say they need to free up police / paramedic support.

It's quite disgraceful tbh that they are shafting hospitality and football because they can't be arsed with one game.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Realistically would we get another Indyref if the SNP aren't in power?

I'm of the standpoint now that if we never get another referendum, it's because those in power have catastrophically failed and driven away a large enough percentage of their voter base. 

And that's on them, not the voter base.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Same. I’m not voting SNP again anytime soon. They think they have a free pass forever because they support independence but independence might never happen and I’m not happy to sit and put up with piss poor directionless government in the meantime. They have been saved by the opposition looking even worse. It’s a poor situation.

Seen some tweets trying to guilt trip people into still voting for the SNP because they “aren’t Tories.” So basically the SNP will always have a free pass under this line of thinking.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Exactly what I was thinking. The home game v killie this season was the first I’d seen police at Somerset for a good while. We didn’t even have them there when the “mighty” Dundee U visited in Aug. I asked my mate who’s a killie fan and he said even when they were in the Prem the police were only there for the likes of the games v the OF. Stewards do the role instead

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That’s where I’m at, and I posted about this weeks ago. I deliberately spoiled my ballot paper at the last election. You draw a diagonal line from top corner to opposite bottom corner, ensuring it covers all names on the ballot paper. Then, above or below your line, write diagonally ‘none of them’, again, ensuring all names are covered. Ballot paper gets shown to candidates who agree it is spoiled. Just don’t go in angry and scrawl ‘fcukers’ or something randomly on the paper. Your vote will count. 

It’s what I plan to do at the next election, unless, by some miracle, the opposition parties to the entrenched SNP fcuker here put up a candidate with at least some substance, and not a clockwork wind-up monkey bashing two cymbals together.

Edited by pozbaird

52 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I honestly feel It’s a bit of an offensive take on the South African situation by Europe / Western world.

They don’t trust the developing world science so want to wait for their own data. When the UK has a full set in a couple of weeks showing it’s all fine, these countries will be more trusting.

I may be way off, but I suspect it’s closer to the truth than they’d care to admit.

Same thing happened in December 2019 - February 2020 when Chinese and Italian doctors were warning all and sundry about exactly what they were facing. UK government appeared to be confident that there was no way Covid would affect people in the UK the exact same way under the exact same circumstances, because reasons.

It's good old xenophobia and dismissal of Johnny Foreigner, because let's face it, the rest of the world outside the UK is a tinpot know-nothing banana republic, and British people are inherently superior, right?

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yes this is a good point. I despise Sturgeon and the SNP as much as anyone at this point, and am absolutely not defending any of the utter shite they’ve come out with yesterday… but there are quite a few European nations shitting the bed worse than us currently. Why is everyone ignoring the blatantly positive data about Omicron and focusing purely on worst case scenarios?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all, but either governments across Europe are absolutely paralysed by fear (and therefore not fit to run a country) or something else is going on. It feels like a social experiment at this point. It’s the most confused I’ve been yet at the decision making so far.

I don't think it's that sinister. I think it's more that the last 22 months have trained governments- and importantly have trained government beuracracies - to react in a certain way.

A bit off topic. But, for me, the best thing that could happen to the independence movement would be a strong rival pro-indy party. Not to split the vote, but to show that independence doesn't equal SNP.

A pro-independence Labour party for example would offer an alternative vision of an independent Scotland, that might attract more people than solely the SNP's vision to the overall independence cause.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

We all know which game they mean when they say they need to free up police / paramedic support.
It's quite disgraceful tbh that they are shafting hospitality and football because they can't be arsed with one game.

Which, tinfoil hat on, makes me think the ‘up to three weeks’ statement was entirely designed to take us up to and just slightly beyond the 2nd to avoid that game.

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah but none of that matters, football fans we are all the same to them.

It’s one of the reasons why you can’t have an alcoholic drinking watching Albion Rovers V Elgin, They still use the excuse it’s because of an incident that happened almost 40 years ago or for “public health” reasons 

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A bit off topic. But, for me, the best thing that could happen to the independence movement would be a strong rival pro-indy party. Not to split the vote, but to show that independence doesn't equal SNP.

A pro-independence Labour party for example would offer an alternative vision of an independent Scotland, that might attract more people than solely the SNP's vision to the overall independence cause.

I’m honestly not sure why Labour haven’t taken this line. It could likely win them a GE.

Winning of that GE would allow Scots a referendum, with the Labour Party pushing the line that they support Indy, but should it come to pass the Scots and English separate Labour parties would totally split, but agree to work together for the greater good.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

Exactly what I was thinking. The home game v killie this season was the first I’d seen police at Somerset for a good while. We didn’t even have them there when the “mighty” Dundee U visited in Aug. I asked my mate who’s a killie fan and he said even when they were in the Prem the police were only there for the likes of the games v the OF. Stewards do the role instead

Motherwell only ever have police at games vs the old firm and occasionally hibs and hearts, more often than not though it’s just stewards and if there’s bother the polis then get called, given the proximity from the station to the ground they’re usually sharp in marching in right enough.