Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, ftk said:

6 extra games would be extra money for clubs. Only 4 more games than the English Premier League and they usually have more European games than Scottish teams.

The EPL has 38 games. 

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Falkirk fans taking things well.

By which I mean they are not. A sad wee group of them have sprinted to The Sun, tears absolutely streaming down their face, to grass in John McGlynn for apparently breaching furlough because he was on the radio yesterday discussing his plans for the new season.

Then there's a load of them, tears pouring down angry wee red faces, screaming and bawling about how they're going to boycott away games next season and how this will massively damage other clubs because Falkirk are a huge club who are pretty much keeping the rest of the league afloat with their gargantuan away crowds.

In fairness to the Falkirk fans - which is not my natural inclination - most of the ones on here  were distancing themselves from the nonsense you refer to.  Even the boycott stuff was fairly roundly shouted down.

Their thread has been much less rewarding than the Thistle one.

3 hours ago, Soapysage said:

14 teams playing each other twice = 26 games, split into two halves of 7 and play each other twice = additional 12 games, so 38 altogether before that big league cup group, add that in with playing each other twice is again, another 26 games, 38+26 = 64 games.

64 games a season that's a new one

Edited by rb123!

1 hour ago, The Master said:

A 16-team league in a “play twice, split, play twice” format would solve the current issues around the split. Everyone would have the same number of home and away games each season, and everyone would play everyone else the same number of times in their own section. 

The biggest issue is the extra 6 games that would bring about.

Plus play-off games on top of that, could end up near 50 league games in a season. 

Not including Scottish Cup and League Cup games.

As much as i like the idea of 16 team Premiership it will go nowhere because of the amount of games. 

Unless Sky budge on 4 OF and reduce it to 3, could then play each other twice and then split for a final round of games against each other just once. 

Sky could be sweetened with the carrot of Dundee, Highland and Ayrshire derby being added to the Premiership.

Would result in 37 games, only 1 more than current Premiership season i think (if my maths is right).

Edited by rb123!

To be honest we,ll be lucky to see a 14 team division voted for never mind 16 or 18
If the season doesn't start until October or later 16 teams might be ideal. 30 games to fit in before the Euros and season 21/22.

5 hours ago, The Master said:

A 16-team league in a “play twice, split, play twice” format would solve the current issues around the split. Everyone would have the same number of home and away games each season, and everyone would play everyone else the same number of times in their own section. 

The biggest issue is the extra 6 games that would bring about.

44 games is too many at the best of times. With everyone already conceding next season starting on time is unlikely a reconstruction leading to more games doesnt strike me as wise. 

Equally, less games is unlikely to be popular as it will reduce income. 

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of any reconstruction.

16 teams, home and away fixtures, 8-8 split, play once, followed by 4-way 4-team split, play once. 40 games, almost definitely get your 4 stinking OF games, exciting title/European ramifications, gripping relegation battles, potential European play-off place on the line for 5th-8th group. It's the best idea, straight up.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Don't see anything wrong with the current format had it been Hamilton & Arbroath rather than Hearts & Partick getting relegated dobyou really think they would be talking do much about league reconstruction.. I don't think so...... 

A fundamental problem of a top league of about 18 teams in Scotland is the massive financial gap which would exist between the it and the division below. 

It would be a bit like going from Premiership funding to League One funding in a single relegation. 

6 hours ago, rb123! said:

Plus play-off games on top of that, could end up near 50 league games in a season. 

Not including Scottish Cup and League Cup games.

As much as i like the idea of 16 team Premiership it will go nowhere because of the amount of games. 

Unless Sky budge on 4 OF and reduce it to 3, could then play each other twice and then split for a final round of games against each other just once. 

Sky could be sweetened with the carrot of Dundee, Highland and Ayrshire derby being added to the Premiership.

Would result in 37 games, only 1 more than current Premiership season i think (if my maths is right).

The Premiership currently plays 38.

A fundamental problem of a top league of about 18 teams in Scotland is the massive financial gap which would exist between the it and the division below. 

It would be a bit like going from Premiership funding to League One funding in a single relegation. 

If we really wanted to see the game develop I’m beginning to think we need to go to franchises and a draft system, with no relegation. 4 clubs in and around weegieland (anywhere west of Edinburgh), 1 in sister shagging country, 1 in the Kingdom, 2 in Edinburgh, 1 in Aberdeen, 2 in Dundee and 1 somewhere up north for the caravan dwellers. That would cover it.

f**k the minnows.

In order to improve the game I would like to see the usual people in charge of negotiations with the TV companies replaced with people who don't have their nickers around their ankles before they go in to said negotiations.

That may give clubs an incentive to vote for a bigger league with more cash sloshing about.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

23 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

In order to improve the game I would like to see the usual people in charge of negotiations with the TV companies replaced with people who don't have their nickers around their ankles before they go in to said negotiations.

Don't make it a negotiation would be the first step. Or at least, not initially.

Do as England do (yes, I know, but this is at least sensible) - put together packages of rights based on order of picks and ask for bids. Structure it such that to get all the best games (which to the TV companies will mean "four Old Firm Games") you need to bid high on all the packages. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Don't make it a negotiation would be the first step. Or at least, not initially.

Do as England do (yes, I know, but this is at least sensible) - put together packages of rights based on order of picks and ask for bids. Structure it such that to get all the best games (which to the TV companies will mean "four Old Firm Games") you need to bid high on all the packages. 

Good in theory, but the Glasgow 'giants' would want all the money from the package that they're included in, otherwise no dice. 

You'd only be giving THEM more money. 

That may give clubs an incentive to vote for a bigger league with more cash sloshing about.

There already is a (record) TV deal with Sky for the next five seasons.