Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Guest Flash
10 hours ago, The Master said:

A 16-team league in a “play twice, split, play twice” format would solve the current issues around the split. Everyone would have the same number of home and away games each season, and everyone would play everyone else the same number of times in their own section. 

The biggest issue is the extra 6 games that would bring about.

You’d think if 44 games was acceptable they’d have it just now with the 12 team Premiership.

Co-Chair of the Reconstruction Committee Hamilton's Les Gray says he/Hamilton wants any reconstruction to be permanent.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/les-gray-spfl-reconstruction-conflicts-21892917

Gray understands it is a hefty task that won’t get off the ground unless positions of neutrality are immediately found.

But a perfect example of conflicting outlooks comes from the chair positions.

Budge has stated publicly she would prefer a temporary restructure, while Gray’s own board at Hamilton want permanent change.

28 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Why are we claiming in Scotland we can’t play again till august , yet England have plans to come back in June .

We're being more pessimistic/realistic (delete based on opinion) and they're absolutely desperate to keep their "product" afloat.

11 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

I think everyone can agree that what should be at the forefront of this discussion is bringing back the Tennents' Sixes.

They need to shift that temporary hospital at the SECC...

37 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Why are we claiming in Scotland we can’t play again till august , yet England have plans to come back in June .

Restarting with closed door games is a feasible option in England where gate receipts are a smaller proportion of income, whereas asking Scottish clubs start paying players and staff again in order to play without gate receipts would kill off the vast majority of Scottish clubs.

5 hours ago, The DA said:

We'll be lucky to have 16 or 18 clubs left at the end of this.

Exactly and some of the usual gloaters about what has happened might be on the receiving end themselves, before the end of the year. I reckon every club, probably barring Celtic, will be under threat if football resumes behind closed doors until 2021 and even if they lift the restrictions it appears that you would only be allowed 1/6th of your capacity in the ground. Every club is under serious threat until a successful vaccine is found!

Edited by Sting777

4 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Exactly and some of the usual gloaters about what has happened might be on the receiving end themselves, before the end of the year. I reckon every club, probably barring Celtic, will be under threat if football resumes behind closed doors until 2021 and even if they lift the restrictions it appears that you would only be allowed 1/6th of your capacity in the ground. Every club is under serious threat until a successful vaccine is found!

I was thinking that it's a double-whammy for the older supporter.  Asked to self-isolate for a good while yet and not allowed to attend the football that some of us might be.  Felt sorry for the auld guy that sits beside me at Tannadice.  And then I realised that I'm an auld guy too - many of us might be by the time restrictions are finally lifted.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I was thinking that it's a double-whammy for the older supporter.  Asked to self-isolate for a good while yet and not allowed to attend the football that some of us might be.  Felt sorry for the auld guy that sits beside me at Tannadice.  And then I realised that I'm an auld guy too - many of us might be by the time restrictions are finally lifted.

Yip, while I am not quite at the “stay in the house for the next year” age, Thistle have a lot of older supporters which is a worry. Still if the 1/6th restrictions kick in, it shouldn’t  affect us too much as our capacity is around 12,000 and at the latter end we were hovering between 2,000-2,500 home support. How teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are going to survive on around 3,000 crowds is anyone’s guess!

Edited by Sting777

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, rb123! said:
Ah well no football until 2021 then....
I'm just gonna go and quietly cry away now in the corner for the rest of the day

Theres absolutely no way that theres no football till 2021 ffs.

My Dinamo Minsk season ticket has expired and I'm barred from Bet 365.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, rb123! said:
I'm just gonna go and quietly cry away now in the corner for the rest of the day

There's as much chance of no football until 2021 as there is you lot getting into the Championship through any reconstruction IMO

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Based on what, out of curiosity? 

Just now, CALDERON said:

Based on what, out of curiosity? 

The fact that Scottish football would cease to exist in that time. There will be aspects of life impacted until that time. Of that there is no doubt. We are in the first wave of this, and to the best of my knowledge, we are nowhere near overwhelming the NHS which is the primary concern. The idea that between now and presumably August 2021 we wont have enough measure in place, capacity of testing etc etc to allow 22 for young guys to run about a football pitch is ludicrous. 

The pressure is already ramping up on the government to find a way back to normal. That pressure will be fucking enormous come July August of this year and football as a money business (especially England) and a highly emotive subject will be front and centre of it. 

As far as Nicola Sturgeons part.... I hope she doesnt mistake Scotlands apparently high compliance with the lockdown with some sort of bottomless well of patience from folk up here. 

f**k it theres a covid thread for this stuff and I am just offering what I think. I'd genuinely charity bet anyone that we will have Scottish football in 2020 though. 

None of the stuff about not playing behind closed doors actually came directly from Sturgeon, it came from the Chief Medical Officer (or similar), whose main job is to comment on the medical side of things, not the economic or social aspects. Of course it would be better medically to not do anything at all for several months (or years), but there does need to be some sort of trade off. Sturgeon and others will have to make the tough decisions about what are and aren't worthwhile "risks" to take whilst still giving people something resembling a normal life.

It's just like the best medical advice would be never to drink alcohol, eat junk food, smoke etc, but most people will still do some of those things and are willing to balance up the risks of poorer health against the pleasure they take in those activities.

It’s an absurd thing for Sturgeon to say given there are absolutely no guarantees a vaccine is even possible.  Even then, a lockdown of this kind for 12-18 months is socially and economically unsustainable.  A short lockdown to stem the tide and buy us time to put things like contact tracing and testing in place is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.  

Let’s be clear, if we can’t go to football (which is at least open air): that means any group gatherings such as pubs, restaurants and cinemas are out as well.  How many people will die from the economic damage that causes?

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The fact that Scottish football would cease to exist in that time. There will be aspects of life impacted until that time. Of that there is no doubt. We are in the first wave of this, and to the best of my knowledge, we are nowhere near overwhelming the NHS which is the primary concern. The idea that between now and presumably August 2021 we wont have enough measure in place, capacity of testing etc etc to allow 22 for young guys to run about a football pitch is ludicrous. 

The pressure is already ramping up on the government to find a way back to normal. That pressure will be fucking enormous come July August of this year and football as a money business (especially England) and a highly emotive subject will be front and centre of it. 

As far as Nicola Sturgeons part.... I hope she doesnt mistake Scotlands apparently high compliance with the lockdown with some sort of bottomless well of patience from folk up here. 

f**k it theres a covid thread for this stuff and I am just offering what I think. I'd genuinely charity bet anyone that we will have Scottish football in 2020 though. 

The thing for me is that its all an unknown.  Until we can see how the country will react to any easing of lockdown measures its a total shot in the dark.  

The fear I have is that football will be seen as something that can exist behind closed doors for any period of time, which could well be the case in England but I can't see it working up here.  In my opinion, football will come back here when its safe to hold gatherings again and as to when that is, that is completely unknown.  

There will be pressure as time goes on though.  The novelty of lockdown life will only continue to wear off, both in terms of the economic impact and peoples mental wellbeing.  How on earth that can get balanced with the medical side of things is anyones guess, and I dont envy those making this decision!

5 minutes ago, HMIP said:

It’s an absurd thing for Sturgeon to say given there are absolutely no guarantees a vaccine is even possible.  Even then, a lockdown of this kind for 12-18 months is socially and economically unsustainable.  A short lockdown to stem the tide and buy us time to put things like contact tracing and testing in place is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.  

Let’s be clear, if we can’t go to football (which is at least open air): that means any group gatherings such as pubs, restaurants and cinemas are out as well.  How many people will die from the economic damage that causes?

I think pubs will be closed longer than football grounds to be honest.  Sky News had one of those select committees on last week, and a point was made that they believe going to the pub to watch a game of football is just as if not more dangerous than being there.