Favourite toys growing up.

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Model railways - was, is and always will be my favourite!

Had loads of model cars as my Dad was car mad and tried to get me interested put never got into the Scalextric thing, liked Lego and other contruction kits

DSC_0010.thumb.JPG.7ebcbf71537232590ad82799803b9535.JPG

Loved trains when I was wee (and still do to this day). 

When I was wee my dad would take me up to the model train shows that were on at Falkirk College once or twice a year. I was over awed by it and genuinely spent 6/7 hours just watching them all go about. 

Very happy times. If i ever have the money, time and space I will give model trains a bash.

Did nobody here make a bogey?

Tyre Bogey Carts

Loads of fun and good practical experience making them. I had one where the main spar was a bit of railway sleeper - weighed a ton but went down the Swan Brae in Methil like the clappers. You made them out of what you could find and woe betide anybody who left the pram out in the garden cos those wheels were nicked. The laddie up the road got his dad to make his - all shaped plywood, caliper brakes, cushioned seat - we took the piss out of it mercilessly. 

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

Tyre Bogey Carts

Loads of fun and good practical experience making them. I had one where the main spar was a bit of railway sleeper - weighed a ton but went down the Swan Brae in Methil like the clappers. You made them out of what you could find and woe betide anybody who left the pram out in the garden cos those wheels were nicked. The laddie up the road got his dad to make his - all shaped plywood, caliper brakes, cushioned seat - we took the piss out of it mercilessly. 

Oor Wullie found

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I don’t know if these count as toys but I remember going home and greeting in my room after some kid inexplicably hit my giant steely from about 50 feet away with an utter fluke. 

ken.thumb.jpg.fe7616d798ea9afd92a872c10dee378c.jpg

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

The latest craze is for fidget toys.

These are wee crappy bits of plastic that just bend, click, pop, etc.

Just that word brought this back to mind.

image.png.9e7110811592a7be7c125a76a0c132a9.png

Just remembered you could roll it into a bouncy ball and smash it off windows in the knowledge that it would come back to you and that it wasn't heavy enough to smash the glass.  Simpler times.

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just that word brought this back to mind.

image.png.9e7110811592a7be7c125a76a0c132a9.png

Just remembered you could roll it into a bouncy ball and smash it off windows in the knowledge that it would come back to you and that it wasn't heavy enough to smash the glass.  Simpler times.

You could also lift the ink off the beano with it and have Dennis the Menace's face on your putty. 

53 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Lego turned out to be essential preparation for children who were going to grow up to be expected to assemble their own Scandinavian furniture

Au contraire, if anything it taught me that you don't really need any instructions to construct a masterpiece.

That said, I've yet to see a football stand that used bits of police station, castle and pirate ship in its construction.

screen-shot-2017-04-11-at-17-50-38.png?fit=1122,660%26ssl=1&key=5b3ce1ab849a370bdb15003c7571ff938db6be15bb64af7e51f0c97b1ad82187
If you went down the swan brae on a bogey you were braver than I'll ever be.

Figures were my go to toy when I was younger. Would get lost in my own wee world acting out all sorts of madcap adventures. I look at my son now, who is 9, who just wants to sit on his tablet or play the x-box and think he (and probably many other kids) are totally missing out on using imaginative play.

Some of my favourites:

Ghostbusters 2.jpg

Ghostbusters.jpg

He Man.jpg

Mighty Max.jpg

Thundercats.jpg

Turtles.jpg

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Train set was a good one back in the day until my brother-in-law used one of guard vans to rest his roly up on it, it fell off and melted  a big section of the foam track underlay stuff. 

Even as a child I was tormented by tabs.

You had a brother in law when you were a child? 

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I fear I'm about to out myself, but here goes:

Did anybody else make their own Scottish Cup draws by writing club names on ripped up bits of paper and using dice to determine the scores*.  Squeaky bum time as teams you didn't like made it through the rounds.

*Throwing a 6 became a nil to keep it realistic, not that Civil Service Strollers winning the final 5-4 against Elgin was in any way unrealistic.

I did a world club cup with everyone from the giants of the game to my local boys club and everything in between. I used to make the draw out of an old cotton bud container.

18 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Figures were my go to toy when I was younger. Would get lost in my own wee world acting out all sorts of madcap adventures. I look at my son now, who is 9, who just wants to sit on his tablet or play the x-box and think he (and probably many other kids) are totally missing out on using imaginative play.

Some of my favourites:

Ghostbusters 2.jpg

Ghostbusters.jpg

He Man.jpg

Mighty Max.jpg

Thundercats.jpg

Turtles.jpg

Raphael (on the left) looks like he needs more fibre in his diet.