The 1997 thread

ICTChris

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

All this Diana talk should remind us - don't bother with TV, radio or newspapers in August. It'll be the "anniversary". 

It would be interesting to look back at the hysteria from those ten days and more in some kind of detail. A large portion of the English absolutely lost the run of themselves. At the time, a lot of the madness was lost in the fact it was a serious news event and a legit moment in history, but it's certainly worth a decent review after 25 years. In particular, I'd like to know what insane asylum was later filled with the squad of middle-aged women who queued to get into Virgin Megastores on the morning Candle In The Wind 1997 was released so they could sweep forty copies of it into a basket in front of TV cameras. Mental behaviour. 

I always have it down as the point Old News stopped and the media realised the benefits of having 24 hour news channels and proper websites, ahead of 9/11 finally turning the world into News As Entertainment junkies. 

The Diana thing was odd- I walked down to Holyrood Palace put of curiosity and the courtyard was chock full of floral tributes. I felt like Che in "Evita" when he sings "Oh what a circus"

On the day of the televised funeral I escaped for a walk in the Pentlands. Which was busy with middle class Edinburgh types also escaping the funeral, the sort of folk you'd have thought would have been glued to the TV watching it 

Got home and my old man said "Di's brother really had a go at the Windsors"

Aye, where is he now? 

1997 was the year I packed in being an electrician and went to university. It was a hopeful time with Labour back in power after years of the Tories. The main downside was Rovers getting relegated from the top division and remaining in the lower leagues until the current day.

1997 for me was graduating college. Getting a job in a bookshop as a stop gap in the may (that lasted 10 years)

Going on the worst holiday of my life to Tunisia in the September

Splitting up with my girlfriend in the October.

Getting back with her on Hogmanay. (Still together and married)

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

On the day of the televised funeral I escaped for a walk in the Pentlands. Which was busy with middle class Edinburgh types also escaping the funeral, the sort of folk you'd have thought would have been glued to the TV watching it 

Our Scout section went caving in Yorkshire on the day of Diana's funeral, and some woman who had gone to the Dales to watch it with a portable TV in a campervan completely lost her sh*t at us when it was clear that we were  going underground instead of watching it on TV.  

One of us replied with something along the lines of "she's going underground too, what's the big fu*king deal?", which just poured fuel on the fire and resulted in a teary emotional breakdown over some woman she'd probably never met. 

Tempted to get one of these shirts to judge the public mood 25 years on:

807x1000.thumb.jpg.b40d805cb796b96da0208bd8662bf48e.jpg

On a different note, 1997 was my first experience of family loss when my grandfather died.  I wasn't taken to the funeral for whatever reason (probably because I was quite young and it was in Gloucestershire), but I still remember my mum shouting "why won't you cry??!" when she told me he died.  Made me think I was heartless, and I still think back to that.

That year also saw my dad move to Auchterarder, which saw a swift end to me sleeping on a couch in Douglas, Dundee every second weekend.  That was definitely a positive move.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 31/01/2022 at 11:55, ICTChris said:

I appear to have messed up the spoiler tags, what a boomer.

Culturally, I think 1997 was a downward year.  The mid 1990s in the UK were really exciting in terms of new music but 1997 was kind of the Altamont of that scene.

What!!!

1997 had tons of classic albums. 

Belters from Radiohead, Bjork, Prodigy Portishead, Chemical Brothers, The Verve, Mogwai, Foo Fighters, Nick Cave, Bob Dylan, Daft Punk, Missy Elliot, Wu Tang Clan, Blur, Pavement, Busta Rhymes, Squarepusher, Grandaddy and Supergrass.

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What!!!

1997 had tons of classic albums. 

Belters from Radiohead, Bjork, Prodigy Portishead, Chemical Brothers, The Verve, Mogwai, Foo Fighters, Nick Cave, Bob Dylan, Daft Punk, Missy Elliot, Wu Tang Clan, Blur, Pavement, Busta Rhymes, Squarepusher, Grandaddy and Supergrass.

A fair point. I think what I really meant was that in previous years there had been a sense of a unified music scene and that splintered in 1997. I think the more ponderous, portentous tone of the Verve’s album set a tone for how a lot of British guitar music went in the years to follow, less youthful energy.

We had Amoruso, Gattuso and Gazza. I acquired my first brand-new out-the-wrapper company car - a white Renault Laguna.

Standing joke in the company at the time -‘you can have any colour you want son, as long as it’s red, white or blue’. 

Spoiler

Metallic colours cost extra

9 hours ago, philpy said:

T in the park 97 line up. Jeezo 😆

whatever happened to the supernaturals??s-l400.jpg.8e711171e19db65b0520a3e37e23b455.jpg

Some interesting stories about them and why they split up, with band members turning up at others doors with mallets and machetes demanding money that they thought was being ripped off. Not sure if the current line up is the full original set. “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” is one of the best “Britpop” albums going, if you can define it as part of that era. “A Tune a Day” had a few cracking songs but just wasn’t close to the debut effort.

ETA: That line up is fucking glorious. The Divine Comedy have a gig here in a few weeks. I’m debating whether or not I should buy myself a ticket and go on my todd seeing as no c**t else I know is interested in reliving my formative years.

Edited by Ross.

On 01/02/2022 at 19:59, Scary Bear said:

1997 was the year I packed in being an electrician and went to university. It was a hopeful time with Labour back in power after years of the Tories. The main downside was Rovers getting relegated from the top division and remaining in the lower leagues until the current day.

image.jpeg.939944808b5d51b92cfd87d8fb1e2035.jpeg

I'm trying to find the top rated TV shows from 1997.

The biggest viewed broadcast was Diana's funeral, with 19m viewers.  The previous years was the final episode of Only Fools and Horses which pulled in 24m viewers meaning Del Boy and Rodney were more popular than the Queen of Hearts.