Cheap as Chips

What's the actual energy efficiency on a slow cooker? There's plenty of claims out there but I'd like to know how it works from experience before getting one myself.
Apparently a slow cooker runs at roughly between 75 and 200W depending on setting.

A quick googling suggests average usage of 1.3kW over an 8 hour cook.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

I don't fancy the liver/cheese/omelette combination, sounds as stomach turning as tripe.

Though seriously considering liver and fried onions in gravy + mash potatoes. Old school and unfashionable these

days, but I loved it as a kid.  Tasty , cheap, and healthy, ( Not for the cow obv. )

Liver can be excellent, but you really, really need to give it the day soaking in milk.

Might put some out to defrost tonight.

When Covid hit, one of my colleagues in England raised money to buy slow cookers for people that needed them. They're good for cooking cheap cuts of meat in stews. Think he eventually bought about 150 and distributed them through local charities.

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Apparently a slow cooker runs at roughly between 75 and 200W depending on setting.

A quick googling suggests average usage of 1.3kW over an 8 hour cook.

What's the alternative usage figures though?

That's why I'm curious about the device. An air fryer is quite obviously cheaper to use than an oven, because it is efficiently heating up a small tray rather than an enormous space. With slow cookers though, the issue is whether the length of time involved trumps the lower intensity of heating required. 

On 19/08/2022 at 14:56, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
Did they make a vegan eat butter? Thats a bit shit surely?

Quite a lot of the supermarket butter aisle products are naturally vegan anyway. All the sunflower spreads and so on are plant-based.

Edited by craigkillie

36 minutes ago, throbber said:

Food will soon become a thing of the past for ordinary people and there will be a pill/injection invented that working people will take in the mornings that will provide them with just enough nourishment to survive and function.

RUBBER DINGHY RAPIDS BRO

Raw pearl barley is cheaper than both rice and pasta (albeit a bit longer to cook) and can be used in mostly the same ways. A 500g bag from morrisons is 65p and will easily serve 10. 

It looks like dug sick but I made a barley cheese bake with broccoli and bacon. All ingredients in - barley, bacon lardons, broccoli, courgette, cheddar, cream cheese, stilton, ham stock cube - I worked out the cost per portion about 85p (make it veggie and its about 50p).

Spoiler

20220820_201057.thumb.jpg.97e14679394c1e721bdb8a2f9e470517.jpg

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Raw pearl barley is cheaper than both rice and pasta (albeit a bit longer to cook) and can be used in mostly the same ways. A 500g bag from morrisons is 65p and will easily serve 10. 

It looks like dug sick but I made a barley cheese bake with broccoli and bacon. All ingredients in - barley, bacon lardons, broccoli, courgette, cheddar, cream cheese, stilton, ham stock cube - I worked out the cost per portion about 85p (make it veggie and its about 50p).

Hide contents

20220820_201057.thumb.jpg.97e14679394c1e721bdb8a2f9e470517.jpg

I'd rather eat the mould on your grout.