The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Shane finally gets me off the mark, shows how much changes in a year this time last year I thought Iran might have a bit of an uprising after the drama around the headscarves sadly for my points total it didn't happen.

b*****d. John Byrne was on the telly with Billy Connolly a couple of years ago and he looked as rough as f**k then. Straight in the next year’s team, he then hung about doing nothing of note, I heard nowt, dropped him from this year’s team and now he comes good? Jeezy peeps. Tough game this. 

6 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Whatever happened to Brigit Forsyth ?

Brigit.jpg.2fcee08f1dbc71cbeae0973c022e7e1b.jpgEdinburgh born actress is no more, snuffed it at 83.

Mussus Bunfield !!!!!!!!!!

Ah shit, I didn't realise it was her in that sketch; should've, she's doing the same voice as she had for Thelma. 

However, in this spirit of this thread I should also note:

Mrs Donefield. 

Week 48 update

Three deaths this week. Up first, Henry Kissinger: Henry Kissinger, secretary of state to Richard Nixon, dies at 100 | Henry Kissinger | The Guardian

Henry Kissinger, the former secretary of state under Richard Nixon who became one of the most prominent and controversial figures of US foreign policy in the 20th century, has died. He was 100.

His consulting firm Kissinger Associates announced his death in a statement on Wednesday evening, but did not disclose a cause.

The celebrity diplomat has advised a dozen presidents over his long career, including Joe Biden, and won a shared Nobel prize for negotiating the end to the Vietnam war.

But his legacy was also defined by his contempt for human rights and efforts to protect US corporate interests at all costs, with opponents across the world casting him as a war criminal. He supported Indonesia’s military dictator in the invasion of East Timor, backed the invasion of Angola by the apartheid regime in South Africa and worked with the CIA to overthrow the democratically elected president of Chile. He also authorized wiretaps of reporters and his own staff.

There's basically no chance of me doing justice to his life and career in one of these posts, even if he was the only death this week. Have a read and form your own conclusions. His Wikipedia page is very long. To me, he'll always be the guy who dropped his glasses in the toilet.

Kissinger died at 100 so he's worth 25 Base Points for @Arch Stanton, @atfccfc, @BillyAnchor, @Christophe, @djchapsticks, @El Guapo, @German Jag, @HI HAT, @Lex, @Mark Connolly, @mathematics, @Moomintroll, @nessies long lost ghost, @Priti priti priti Patel, @Ray Patterson, @sleazy, @Chris Partlow, @ThomCat and @Willie adie. There's also a Captain bonus for @Dunning1874 for 50 points.

==============

At the other end of the spectrum this week, Shane MacGowan: Shane MacGowan obituary | Shane MacGowan | The Guardian

With his broken teeth and large ears, Shane MacGowan, who has died aged 65, might have seemed the most unlikely frontman for a pop group. But the Pogues never set out to become teen idols. They grafted punk style and attitude on to the raucous end of Irish folk music, as typified by their heroes the Dubliners, and Shane, in particular, gave the band a reputation for drunkenness.

Just like the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, who revolutionised Irish folk music from the distance of the New York diaspora, the first-generation, London-based Irish community spawned the Pogues. Indeed, MacGowan astutely observed that the band could not have originated in Ireland.

The key to the Pogues’ success was the songwriting of MacGowan, in such masterpieces as Streams of Whiskey and A Rainy Night in Soho, but above all in Fairytale of New York, on which he duetted with Kirsty MacColl.

I'm not as familiar with my alcohol-fuelled Irish punk as I ought to be, but it's December, so you're hearing the Pogues at some point whether you like it or not.

MacGowan died at 65 so he's worth 60 Base Points for @101, @alta-pete, @Arch Stanton, @ayrunitedfw, @Bazz891, @Bert Raccoon, @BillyAnchor, @blackislekillie, @dagane, @Desp, @El Guapo, @Frosty, @invergowrie arab, @Les Cabbage, @lolls, @Melanius Mullarkay, @microdave, @mizfit, @mozam76, @nessies long lost ghost, @Oystercatcher, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @San Starko, @Scorge, @sleazy, @statts1976uk and @Suspect Device.

==============

Final death this week was the playwright John Byrne: Renowned Scottish playwright and artist John Byrne dies aged 83 | John Byrne | The Guardian

The renowned artist and playwright John Byrne, whose parallel careers spanned the acclaimed BBC television series Tutti Frutti, the Slab Boys theatre trilogy and an album cover for the Beatles, has died at the age of 83.

He died peacefully on Thursday with his wife, Jeanine, by his side, the Fine Art Society announced in a statement on Friday morning, describing Byrne as “one of the most inventive and versatile of all Scotland’s modern artists”.

Byrne was born in Paisley and trained at the Glasgow School of Art. His early play, Slab Boys, debuted in 1978 and was inspired by his experiences working in the colour rooms of a carpet factory. It was later performed on Broadway in New York City, with Kevin Bacon, Sean Penn and Val Kilmer among the cast.

His much-loved BBC series Tutti Frutti, about an ageing rock’n’roll band attempting a tour of Scotland, starred Robbie Coltrane and Emma Thompson and won six Baftas.

Byrne was also a masterful painter, known for his self-portraits, as well as designing theatre sets and album covers, often for his friends, including Gerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly.

His most recent mural work appears on the ceiling of the King’s Theatre in Edinburgh, with another in Glasgow to mark Connolly’s 75th birthday, while his paintings are displayed in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, the Museum of Modern Art and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery.

His Wikipedia also tells me that he was the son of a woman and her father. You don't see that every day.

Byrne died at 83 so he's worth 42 Base Points for @ICTJohnboy, who gets a Solo Shot for a total of 92 points.

After all of this, the standings look like this:

1. psv_killie 436
2. cdhafc1874 422
3. JustOneCornetto 405
4. Arbroathlegend36-0 402

5. gkneil 369
6. Desp 324
7. Karpaty Lviv 300
8. Ned Nederlander 299
9. Miguel Sanchez 297

10. Michael W, Scorge 295
12. Mark Connolly, peasy23 288
14. Bert Raccoon 282

15. chomp my root 271
16. Arabdownunder 267
17. microdave 265

18. sparky88, ThomCat 264
20. weirdcal 263
21. qos_75 260
22. Chris Partlow 254
23. The_Craig 247
24. sophia 246

25. LoonsYouthTeam 245
26. lolls, The Naitch 240
28. throbber 237
29. The DA 235
30. Frosty 233
31. Indale Winton 232
32. ICTJohnboy 230

33. Ludo*1 227
34. buddiepaul, HI HAT 226
36. Billy Jean King 225
37. amnarab, TxRover 219
39. pub car king 217
40. thistledo 215
41. mozam76 200

42. alta-pete 199
43. djchapsticks, Enigma 197
45. DG.Roma 193

46. Bully Wee Villa 192
47. kilMARKnock 187
48. Arch Stanton 186

49. Donathan, sleazy, Sweaty Morph 179
52. HK Hibee 173

53. Melanius Mullarkay, Shotgun 170
55. Savage Henry 169
56. dee_62, statts1976uk 167

58. D.V.T. 166
59. Fuctifano 164

60. ParsJake 160
61. willie adie 159

62. Oystercatcher 157
63. Aim Here 155
64. HTG 154

65. BillyAnchor, paulathame 153
67. German Jag 148
68. dagane 147

69. alta-pete, Christophe 139
71. get_the_subbies_on 138
72. blackislekillie 134

73. pawpar 126
74. nessies long lost ghost 124
75. Priti priti priti Patel 122

76. atfccfc, Ray Patterson 121
78. Moomintroll 118

79. doulikefish, tamthebam, The Master 111
82. Dunning1874 105
83. DeeTillEhDeh 101
84. ayrunitedfw, Lofarl, San Starko 99
87. weemac 97
88. lichtgilphead 96
89. mizfit, Suspect Device 92

91. The Hologram 87
92. El Guapo, Lex 85

94. btb, Jimmy Baker, senorsoupe 71
97. choirbairn 70

98. superwell87 69
99. mathematics 62

100. 101, Bazz891, expatowner, invergowrie arab, Les Cabbage 60
105. superbigal 58
106. Empty It 48
107. Duszek, Oceanlineayr, Salvo Montalbano, Shipa 39
111. 10menwent2mow, parxyz, scottsdad 32
114. Derry Alli, stanton 31
116. HibsFan, PWL 29
118. ZERO POINTERS - @Bold Rover, @Curmudgeon, @Eednud, @gingette, @Helpma, @Polarbear, @Raven, @Richey Edwards, @rowsdower, @Sergeant Wilson, @shivute, @thisal

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Additional notes: Aim Here said we had four deaths this week. I don't know if he was wrong or I missed one. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

The 2024 thread will go up next Sunday.

The one you missed was Sandra Day O'Connor a Solo Shot for Arbroathlegend36-0

Me??? Get one right that Aim here gets wrong????

Ex-Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor dies aged 93 - BBC News

Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman to sit on the US Supreme Court, has died aged 93.

She died on Friday morning in Phoenix, Arizona due to complications related to dementia and a respiratory illness, a statement by the US Supreme Court said.

A moderate conservative, Justice O'Connor was appointed to America's highest court by former president Ronald Reagan in 1981.

She served as justice for more than 24 years until her retirement in 2006.

She left the bench to care for her husband, John Jay O'Connor, who was battling Alzheimer's disease. President George W Bush appointed Justice Samuel Alito as her replacement.

In a statement, US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts called Justice O'Connor "a daughter of the American Southwest" who "blazed a historic trail as our Nation's first female Justice."

"She met that challenge with undaunted determination, indisputable ability, and engaging candor," Justice Roberts said. He added that she was a "fiercely independent defender of the rule of law, and an eloquent advocate for civics education."

What I find really interesting here is an American political figure retired. She wasn't even 70!

She died at 32 Base Points, with that doubled for Deadly December, and a Solo Shot giving @Arbroathlegend36-0 114 points. The standings in the last post and the first page are now right.