Breaking workplace rules

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

People who don't want to have to look at your naked legs. If it's really hot will we have to look at your bare arse as well. ?? Get a pair of loose linen trousers. It's not difficult.  Where will all this 'me, me, me' end. 

An odd, creepy post with skin crawling implications.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I personally don't feel obliged to look at people's legs just because they're wearing shorts. Are you a general purpose pervert or just a compulsive leg voyeur? 

If I was either I would be positively demanding that exhibitionists be allowed to wear shorts everywhere and at all times. I clambered off that particular horse in 1998.

I worked in the public sector for a while and had a 6 month review, they said I was adapting to the role very well, showing great promise, quick learner etc.. 

The manager conducting the review put in the room for improvement section that I should consider wearing a tie. I said I wasn't going to, it wasn't in the job requirements when I was hired and I don't even own a tie. 

Next day turned up to work and there was a tie sitting on my desk, handed in my notice about a week after that.  Perhaps petty on my behalf but the place was packed to the brim with utter workshy weirdo control freaks. 

12 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

As long as you give those around you the courtesy of covering your skin up when it's in the process of crawling then all will be well.

I'm genuinely unsure why you have such an issue with shorts and legs. Do you lock yourself in the house over summer and close all the blinds/curtains in case you accidentally catch a glimpse of legs and get traumatised? You seem to be equating wearing shorts with exhibitionism now. It's really bizarre. Do you shriek in horror when women dresses or skirts in the summer that 'show off' their 'naked legs'?

Also do you go round everyone's desk at workplaces and crawl under them to see what if they're wearing shorts or trousers? Because often that's the only way you'd know unless you sat by the door and made a note of everyone's outfit as they came in or out.

Drinking at work was probably my main bit of rule breaking over the years. Changed days now. Probably for the better tbf.

Back in the late 80s when I started it was probably part of the culture in most workshops or factories for folk to have a swally. At lunchtime in our place it was like a Le Man's start with guys standing waiting on the lunchtime horn blowing as they then hot footed it to the local pub. One guy used to take an alarm clock which was set for 12.25 so they could all drink up and be back for the break ending at 12.30. 

A Friday carry out was a regular occurrence too, especially on nightshift. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm genuinely unsure why you have such an issue with shorts and legs. Do you lock yourself in the house over summer and close all the blinds/curtains in case you accidentally catch a glimpse of legs and get traumatised? You seem to be equating wearing shorts with exhibitionism now. It's really bizarre. Do you shriek in horror when women dresses or skirts in the summer that 'show off' their 'naked legs'?

Also do you go round everyone's desk at workplaces and crawl under them to see what if they're wearing shorts or trousers? Because often that's the only way you'd know unless you sat by the door and made a note of everyone's outfit as they came in or out.

I think he might be a Victorian ghost.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Drinking at work was probably my main bit of rule breaking over the years. Changed days now. Probably for the better tbf.

Back in the late 80s when I started it was probably part of the culture in most workshops or factories for folk to have a swally. At lunchtime in our place it was like a Le Man's start with guys standing waiting on the lunchtime horn blowing as they then hot footed it to the local pub. One guy used to take an alarm clock which was set for 12.25 so they could all drink up and be back for the break ending at 12.30. 

A Friday carry out was a regular occurrence too, especially on nightshift. 

About 20 years ago we had a visiting professor come from Denmark (who was, incidentally, the father-in-law of a Celtic player). He never drank tea or coffee but always drank 330 ml cans of beer. 

The department was trying to get everyone to have a coffee break together at 11 am. We'd go along and have tea or coffee, but he would have one of his wee beers. Nobody bothered (they would now, I imagine). I remember talking to him, and him telling me that there were fewer calories in beer than there were in skimmed milk. 

He might be right, but I can't say I've ever sat down for a sesh downing half a dozen pints of skimmed milk. 

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He also posts on a football forum, footballers well known for wearing full pantaloons to play matches...

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just had an email round - someone has complained about staff bringing children into the buildings. So, don't bring your kids in.

I am guessing this is because we had a woman recently back from maternity leave bring her new kid in to show off to people. Someone has taken petty umbrage. 

Fits right in with your new role. Get those parents told.

27 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

About 20 years ago we had a visiting professor come from Denmark (who was, incidentally, the father-in-law of a Celtic player). He never drank tea or coffee but always drank 330 ml cans of beer. 

The department was trying to get everyone to have a coffee break together at 11 am. We'd go along and have tea or coffee, but he would have one of his wee beers. Nobody bothered (they would now, I imagine). I remember talking to him, and him telling me that there were fewer calories in beer than there were in skimmed milk. 

He might be right, but I can't say I've ever sat down for a sesh downing half a dozen pints of skimmed milk. 

IMG_3281.thumb.jpeg.dd8d375fd000c4e70c247e2306973730.jpegIMG_3282.thumb.jpeg.6496171c72c0de4436850b713ccfee84.jpeg

24 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Fits right in with your new role. Get those parents told.

Was just in a meeting about this. It started at 2. At 5 past 2 I told them that it had been a mistake, my name shouldn't be anywhere near it. Nothing to do with me. 

They said that was fine. By 10 past 2 I had been signed up to lead a different action point. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just had an email round - someone has complained about staff bringing children into the buildings. So, don't bring your kids in.

I am guessing this is because we had a woman recently back from maternity leave bring her new kid in to show off to people. Someone has taken petty umbrage. 

We had one of those internal forums on our intranet and somebody posted something similar a few years back (anonymously of course) as they believed it was breaching data protection/security and H&S rules. It was met by a pretty resounding "go f*ck yourself" reply. 

I honestly believe to this day it was somebody at the wind up.

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Was just in a meeting about this. It started at 2. At 5 past 2 I told them that it had been a mistake, my name shouldn't be anywhere near it. Nothing to do with me. 

They said that was fine. By 10 past 2 I had been signed up to lead a different action point. 

Entirely you're own fault for staying in a meeting that has nothing to do with you...

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

90-95% of my day is dealing with SLB in about 15 countries ( I don't work for them just deal with them ). They are the worst multinational in humanity to deal with for rules and being late payers, and pedantic and arseholes.  @Derry Alli Please keep annoying them

Nah, that’s not really even annoying them then, because their H&S crew enjoy the exercise @Derry Alli is providing. The infinitely superior answer is to look at their stupid rule(s) and find a way to comply with the exact stipulations while complying in no way with the spirit (e.g. “All employees on a 6” scissor lift must wear a safety harness”…wear the harness, clipped to nothing). Then they end up complaining, but H&S have to concede the action was within the rules, and are made to change the rules. The changing the rules will, in a company like SLB take thousands of pounds and involve numerous worthless morons who will promulgate a change that will be just as easy to slip around the next time (OK, I’m wearing the harness and it’s clipped to this 12 gauge wire, what do you mean that’s not enough? There’s nothing here that specifies what to clip it to, other than the lift, of which this is clearly part….if you’re lucky, that’s step two, because at step one the change simply added clipped on, so you clipped the harness to itself). Doing it right by HSE standards while ripping a truck-sized hole through their H&S standards should be viewed as an opportunity, a challenge in educating morons.

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I worked in the public sector for a while and had a 6 month review, they said I was adapting to the role very well, showing great promise, quick learner etc.. 

The manager conducting the review put in the room for improvement section that I should consider wearing a tie. I said I wasn't going to, it wasn't in the job requirements when I was hired and I don't even own a tie. 

Next day turned up to work and there was a tie sitting on my desk, handed in my notice about a week after that.  Perhaps petty on my behalf but the place was packed to the brim with utter workshy weirdo control freaks. 

Nah mate, you should have binned the one they gave you and gone out and got the widest, most garish kipper tie that you could find. Something that even charity shops would reject.