Raith v Partick, 8 Dec...the race to keep up with DU

The fact that we can bring players like Callum Smith, Aidan Connolly and Jamie Gullan off the bench when last season we were bringing on William Akio and Connor McBride is a massive, massive testament to John Potter and Ian Murray’s recruitment in the summer. Among the excitement we’ve also got one of our one back on the bench finally. If we do a good January who knows how far we can go!

I usually say this after every match at Starks, but Jesus Christ that referee. Clueless. Definitely was a randomness to his decisions. Think he got Thistles penalty right after watching it on the highlights. Not sure where the free kicks came from for both Thistles opener and also our winner. Stanton 100% fouled leading up to Smith’s equaliser. Whether it was in the box though is still up for debate. At 2-0 I was surprised Murray didn’t go the bench and put Brown on. Maybe it would have been pretty early. But even at 2-1 the change could have been made.

Brown very unlucky not to be straight back in the starting 11 if I’m honest. But that’s what happens if you miss a game, it allows others to snatch your place. Euan Murray looked to have injured his shoulder again. Whether that means Corr comes in, or indeed Brown comes back at CB for Arbroath we’ll just have to see. 

Usually having a full squad to choose from ends up in tears. But this time it’s worked wonders having Connolly, Smith and latterly Gullan to come on is quite something. All our attackers are pretty much interchangeable and gives the opposition such a headache as they’ve no idea who’s going to play or how we set up. 

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

It takes a special type of fitba fan to call that refereeing performance "charmingly idiosyncratic"

Got any beautiful words to describe your keeper? 

Ach I'm a Quixotic fitba fan and I'd sooner have a ref make rubbish decisions and just be honestly and decisively wrong than the var-laden nonsense we get at higher levels. 

Our goalie made some good saves and a couple of howlers. His performance could be described as capricious or mercurial.

Edited by velo army

A few bevvies and a game like that is a great start to the weekend entertainment.  My mate has also (unbeknownst to me, until quite recently) chosen The Jags as his Scottish team.  His description of this as a crazy league is entirely accurate and all part of the fun.  Both sides unable to maintain their intensity for the full match, which made it thoroughly entertaining.  Being able to put together a side who will fight their way back into a game is impressive and I think both sides should feel as optimistic as you can, in football.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Rover said:

The fact that we can bring players like Callum Smith, Aidan Connolly and Jamie Gullan off the bench when last season we were bringing on William Akio and Connor McBride is a massive, massive testament to John Potter and Ian Murray’s recruitment in the summer. Among the excitement we’ve also got one of our one back on the bench finally. If we do a good January who knows how far we can go!

This is where Raith have an edge over Utd, week after week our bench is full of unproven kids and Jordan Tilson, whereas Murray has the option to change things in search of a goal (which he did very well last night imo). 

I think our first XI is still much better than any side below us, but in both the United and Raith matches (albeit obviously last night was closer) we’ve shown that we’ve still a bit to go if we wanted to be title contenders. Probably at least a top CB and CM/CDM short (ie Holt and Docherty would walk straight back into our side). I’m not sure how much that can be addressed in January. 

Shame that Raith’s game at Tannadice isn’t on the box next weekend. 

Edited by JagsCG

3 hours ago, velo army said:

I really liked the ref last night and felt he added to the spectacle by just randomly letting some things go. Raith should absolutely have had a pelanty in the second half and there's no way Fitz should've been booked for diving, but it wasn't a gutless or biased performance,just charmingly idiosyncratic.

Kind of agree, I think mainly thinking back any issue I'd have is with yellow cards/lack thereof for some of the decisions made.

If nothing else I liked that he was decisive; booking a raith player for kicking the ball away when lots of refs will let players take the piss out of them constantly with it, booking Fitzpatrick for diving (albeit I do think it was a foul but maybe the fall was one of those "exagerrated" ones) when lots of refs dont give them out anymore. Think our last player booked for diving was Dario Zanatta, and it was so blatant everyone around me was groaning at him for not just staying on his feet.

One of the Rovers challenges near the end on McMillan looked a bit naughty, he gave the free kick and it probably merited a yellow.

I reckon the booking for timewasting helped, meant both teams tried to keep up the tempo in the game rather than turning it into a shitfest.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 hours ago, baba douche said:

Have to disagree - watched the game on the telly last night, and my first comment was 'that pitch is shite'.

And I DO think the pitch has something to do with a couple of goals, even tho Sneddon should still have saved them.

And just to be certain, this is NOT sour grapes 😂 Raith should have been out of sight at the end of the first half. We left a huge hole in central defence that they kept running into.

Good luck for the rest of the season - if we can't do it, I don't want the DAB's doing it either!

The pitch is looking a bit shiny on the telly now, but it’s a decent surface to play on. Definitely better than the state of our previous grass pitch during the winter months.

14 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Erm! Is reality of a situation negativity? Maybe you should remove your Doolan blinkers.

You’re the third best team in the league sitting third in the league. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. 

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

Raith Rovers for my money are definitely a better team than Dundee United just now 

They really done their homework against us. I can see them taking 3pts next Friday 

Do they hand out points before playing the game these days?

Wow, two good teams, what a game, what a team the Rovers are, we just never give up, I thought we were beat after dominating the first half but not a bit of it, amazing, I think we have a great squad  and quality to come of the bench to try and change games, what a difference from last season, Thistle look a good outfit and will feel aggrieved at not taking something,  thought the bald lad in midfield looked a player and they will definitely be in the play offs, as for us can we dream of the title?, lets hope so, huge game next Saturday against Dundee Utd, never enjoyed a season so much apart from our 93-94 team, its been a hell of a ride so far. COYR      

A lot of Thistle fans bemoaning Raith's First and Fourth goals stemming from a  dubious corner and free kick. I don't buy that as these decisions usually balance themselves up over course of a season .

What we should be more concerned with is our profligate and at times amateurish central defence who should have been tighter,quicker , joined up and would have seen the points go West .