Queens v Annan

11 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Heard Lee was ill during the week & turned up late today, Gibson a strange one maybe just due to his dad playing for the otherside.. 

Good 3 points makeshift defence today. Ambrose was excellent today, wonder if he will get signed until end of the season. 

Trying to watch as much of the old firm as possible by the sounds of it.

As for today, still very unconvincing from us but job done again against Annan and bragging rights once again in Dumfries. Two great goals for us but Marvin needs couple quality additions/ loans in January for us to be getting that top 4 secured. 

52 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

That’s us 2 points off a playoff spot. A chance to strengthen in the Jan window. It may have been a poor performance by all accounts but we are starting to win ugly. Let’s enjoy tonight and hope we can grind out a run. 

Win ugly is good we would t have done that earlier on in the season.  A number of payers missing Mclelland, McKay, Brydon, Cochrane, and then Connelly and Gibson who have both done well lately just getting 20 mins each. 

14 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

After last week at Stirling I couldn’t muster the enthusiasm to make the trip and from the sound of things it was a good decision.

There is no doubt that we are really dreadful and our Manager just stumbles on from game to game with no real pattern to our play or any concerted “direction of travel”.

At least we have strung some results together and we have to be grateful for that. Overall though - dreadful fayre and some really questionable selections.

I've highlighted (lowlighted ?) a selection of your comments, all of which I agree with entirely.

Unfortunately, the rubbish that we've had to watch and listen to this season has sucked all enthusiasm out of me. Not just me, I'm sure - just following the main club thread and the various match threads, it's obvious that most of us have lost the hope we had in July. It shows on the comments on this forum and in the crowds turning up to Palmerston.

I don't have any confidence in Bartley to change things for the better. The only silver lining is that, overall, the league is such a poor standard that we still have a chance of the play-offs! Hard to believe.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Should say Todd did well at CB. Did some decent tracking back and tackling. 

I'm not Ambrose's biggest fan but I think we have to offer him an extension given the state we're in the now. 

13 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Marvin needs couple quality additions/ loans in January for us to be getting that top 4 secured. 

Haven't seen us since the Dundee United game (including today) due to a combination of illness, bereavement and just not wanting to go through the pain of watching this mob , but if we're now at the stage that Josh Todd is playing centre-back every criticism of Bartley's recruitment and training methods seems justified.  How on earth can that situation arise with a squad of close on 30 players?

With Brydon's injury record, McClelland's lack of discipline and ability to make a hash of the basics of defending, keeping Ambrose has become a no-brainer despite the number of errors he's been racking up recently.

We desperately need another CB in January, but what's worrying is the chances are, going by Bartley's recruitment record, if he signs someone it'll be a 17 year old from Hibs.

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Haven't seen us since the Dundee United game (including today) due to a combination of illness, bereavement and just not wanting to go through the pain of watching this mob , but if we're now at the stage that Josh Todd is playing centre-back every criticism of Bartley's recruitment and training methods seems justified.  How on earth can that situation arise with a squad of close on 30 players?

With Brydon's injury record, McClelland's lack of discipline and ability to make a hash of the basics of defending, keeping Ambrose has become a no-brainer despite the number of errors he's been racking up recently.

We desperately need another CB in January, but what's worrying is the chances are, going by Bartley's recruitment record, if he signs someone it'll be a 17 year old from Hibs.

Unfortunately we had CB's Brydon, & McKay injured as well as Mclelland suspended today.

Ambrose not so sure he has had that many errors recently & showed his experience to deservedly get mom today. 

Good Jan transfer window is needed. Hard to believe we are still in touching distance of the playoffs at the top.

27 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I dunno. 4 CBs on the books should be more than enough. If we had another 1 or 2 I'm sure he'd have been criticised for having too many. We have had pretty bad luck with injuries tbf. 

3 hours ago, bod said:

Just get him TF stinking  the place out a.nd he can take McKechnie  and McIntyre with him for starters.

Add Walker to that, shocking.  On one occasion he had a couple of options but chose to go down the wing, then ran the ball out of play! Another time he crossed to the farside corner flag when simple passes were on. The basics  of football, lift your head and see what's going on.

4 minutes ago, bod said:

Add Walker to that, shocking.  On one occasion he had a couple of options but chose to go down the wing, then ran the ball out of play! Another time he crossed to the farside corner flag when simple passes were on. The basics  of football, lift your head and see what's going on.

Said for months he's rank. But because he's rapid it tricks folk into thinking he's ok. He did get the Annan fans and players absolutely riled for some reason. That was pretty amusing. 

38 minutes ago, bod said:

Add Walker to that, shocking.  On one occasion he had a couple of options but chose to go down the wing, then ran the ball out of play

This is standard in the English lower leagues. The game's littered with powerful athletic fellas who can beat three men but then run off the pitch

On 29/12/2023 at 12:32, 19QOS19 said:

Pleased Luissant is out. Without Cochrane there for us he'd probably have had the whole midfield to himself. Probably better for Hooper that he's out as well. Seemed pretty wound up the last two games. 

The real question is who will do the most whining and diving tomorrow: Smith or Docherty? 🤔

It wasn't even close, Smith rolling about on a number of occasions, to then get up and run away!

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Note 

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Harsh on recruitment.  Of the 16 players he has signed 9 are ok and 7 haven’t cut it yet: Houston, McGuffie, Hutchison, Raggett, Logan, Doherty and Walker haven’t delivered. It’s worth givng MB January to get an experienced CB, midfield assassin and another forward. Just my view

All 3 goals were good, but McGuffie’s was superb. 
Ambrose was very good at the back, probably the best I’ve seen him play for us. 
Most would have taken 10 out 12 points, for last 4 games. 
2 points off playoffs, onwards we go into the new year. 

6 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Note 

Harsh on recruitment.  Of the 16 players he has signed 9 are ok and 7 haven’t cut it yet: Houston, McGuffie, Hutchison, Raggett, Logan, Doherty and Walker haven’t delivered. It’s worth givng MB January to get an experienced CB, midfield assassin and another forward. Just my view

No it's not get rid ASAP.

As a somewhat neutral - in-laws live in Dumfries and my elder daughter was born there so do have a leaning towards Queens - I enjoyed the game today. Took the wee one along for her first club game too (she’s been to hampden to watch Scotland) and she had a good time too.

I thought Annan were hard-working but pretty limited. Can’t fault their effort but didn’t think they were up to much.

Queens, imo, looked like a team of tidy enough players but were maybe missing a bit of purpose. First half seemed to be all about trying to get the ball out wide on the left to McKechnie to have a go at the full back, which he got some joy from but it didn’t really pay off. The Annan goal was a cracker from their point of view but probably wasn’t a great one for Queens to lose. Some equaliser from McGuffie though, an absolute beauty, and you could see all of Reilly’s experience for the winner. An excellent run and brilliant finish.

Overall I thought Queens deserved the win and were generally quite good on the ball as they shifted it out wide but I felt they were missing quite a bit in the middle of the park and a proper final ball when they did get near Annan’s goal. From reading this thread Queens obviously were missing a few and maybe they make the midfield better but Ambrose was the best player on the park by a distance today.

12 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Note 

Think mcguffie has started to prove himself the last few performances. Some goal today.