Injury ridden Pars v Best form in the League Morton

These games are usually a shite watch, but for us we have absolutely battered Morton and deservedly won our previous encounters. Hopefully it is a good watch. Even though recent form is poor for us, I don't think you can read too much in to it. We have had half a squad missing recently and barely kicked a ball. The signs from Saturday were encouraging, and with a lot more players back, I am quietly confident we can get a result and kick on. 

Looking forward to the game and getting back to East End. The fact I will be in my seat likely means it will be a crap watch again though. Our best performances have been when I'm not there....

Edited by Heaton

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Can you tell? 

Also it's been far, far too friendly on here for far too long. Need some spicy chat going on. 

Give it time for the niceness to disappear it’s only Monday 

Many Ton fans (me included, I don't mind admitting it) were screaming for Kirk Broadfoot's head early on in his time with us - and our two previous games against Pars were typical examples of why, as HoBNob's rightfully said. The man's pushing 40 and he did look completely done. There was also frustration at the fact that Dougie Imrie was consistently putting him into our starting XI week in, week out. But now? Different player - solid, dependable, calm and positionally aware - with his experience repeatedly proving invaluable. Against certain opponents playing a certain way, we aren't as good tactically without him. He's become yet another addition to the increasingly long list of previously written-off players who Dougie's obviously seen something in, and has somehow managed to get him to give of his very best.  

On 28/01/2024 at 15:40, The Toun Clock said:

What’s changed Ton fans? 

Lewis Strapp has epitomised Dougie’s transformational realisation that the missing part of his managerial tick list was a better attitude towards our academy graduates. That’s it in a nutshell, and I bow to Dougie for being man enough to change his ways.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Lewis Strapp has epitomised Dougie’s transformational realisation that the missing part of his managerial tick list was a better attitude towards our academy graduates. That’s it in a nutshell, and I bow to Dougie for being man enough to change his ways.

Great post. Obviously has a handle on the situation. 

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Oh for f**k’s sake…

Imaginary ‘solution’ to an imaginary problem.

You’re just doubling (trebling) down on an outright lie at this point.

17 hours ago, Heaton said:

Broadfoot will crumble at the sight of Joe Chalmers baring down on him and turning backwards to offload the ball. 

Oh aye he will be shiting himself 😂😂

On 28/01/2024 at 15:40, The Toun Clock said:

What’s changed Ton fans? Was it just a bit of time needed for players to gel or has there been changes to who’s playing and where etc?

Have to admit, in the two league games I did think you could struggle but have been on an amazing run. Wasn’t until yesterday I checked, no defeat since 18th November which is some going.

Can't pinpoint one thing among the multiple improvements, but aside from getting most of the injured players back Strapp and Wilson have both been critical to it.

One of things that's been so pleasing about the way it's turned round is the comparison to last season. We had a terrible start then as well but turned it round after the first quarter, with a huge part of that turnaround being that Imrie just decided he only had a small core group of players he could trust and relied upon them while bombing some other players out. This season many, myself included, were hoping he would do the same thing with Broadfoot and Power near the top of pretty much everyone's list to drop out the team. This time the turnaround has happened with pretty much all of the poorer performers improving over time rather than needing banished, those two chief among them, meaning we now look like we actually have some depth rather than being in the shit as soon as a couple of players are out.

Waters is a perfectly decent Championship left back who was miles away from being the biggest problem in the team when we were poor, but it's not just that Strapp is an upgrade on him in both attack and defence but also he makes the players around him better. Broadfoot is a better player in possession knowing he has a full back comfortable in possession outside him, and more comfortable pushing up defensively knowing he has a faster full back capable of covering his arse. There's also less pressure on the midfield knowing they have a good attacking full back to support them as well.

Between Waters' injury and Strapp signing, Wilson played at left back, and before that he'd had his own fitness problems. Since then he's had a run of games in central midfield and as well as being a powerhouse himself, he makes whichever of Power and Gillespie is beside him a better player too. Whenever we had Power & Gillespie together earlier in the season we were far too easily overrun, and even with one of them without Wilson they would regularly get dragged out of position and leave gaps which tended to be exploited. With a fully fit Wilson in there that just hasn't happened, he covers so much ground.

Having said all this, shite performances from Strapp, Wilson, Power and Broadfoot incoming.

On 29/01/2024 at 16:32, DreamOakTree1 said:

You're embarrassing yourself.