Raith Morton: let's be having you!

We spent the whole game horsing the ball into the air hoping for an opportunistic second ball. Utter garbage football for the majority from us. Morton did what they do best, break up any momentum and win the long balls. 

Strapp has a ridiculous throw in, so hard to defend against. The rest of his game consisted of long punts up the left and taking forever to cross the pitch to take throws. 

Awful, awful game. 

8 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Agreed. Power should have probably seen red for deliberately standing on Vaughan right in front of the ref also.

Sorry, what? Vaughan went down like he’d been shot right in front of the referee, then made a miraculous recovery straight away after achieving f**k all for diving on his arse again. 

Just now, pub car king said:

Agree too many changes up front tonight. I see why he did it he wanted the pace of Smith and height of Hamilton who I thought did a reasonable consodering he had f**k all to work with. As well as another game on Friday. 

Look it's a mid week game in February despite the effort you will get shite games in a season. 

We just didn't break Morton down, they had 2 players on Easton. 

I don't think our midfield created enough either. 

Nah, agreed probably needed a change of shape to go 4-2-3-1 from the start to get some purchase in midfield, as Morton worked hard to press high up the park.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Given Morton’s form coming in, while it’s disappointing to see a DU loss where we missed a chance to take the full three…at least one was a decent result.

Against the form team in the league, I'd have happily taken a point before the game  

Absolutely eye bleeding.

Not that it would have made any difference, but that was an outrageously little amount of stoppage time, given the subs, the Murray injury and the amount of time Strapp was taking at throw ins - I clocked one at 27 seconds and that wasn't his best effort.

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Sorry, what? Vaughan went down like he’d been shot right in front of the referee, then made a miraculous recovery straight away after achieving f**k all for diving on his arse again. 

Power deliberately stands on him, I'm not sure that's in question. He meant to do it, it's as much a red card as Connolly picking the ball up. I'm not advocating it as a danger to Vaughan's health so unsure why him not being badly injured matters?

Are you suggesting Power doesn't deliberately stand on Vaughan?

Great to record a shut out, especially with Morton getting it into our box relentlessly. 

Frustratingly though, we weren’t able to achieve any real effort at the other end. Really, really turgid affair with little quality. Not what we’ve been used to this season anyway 

A missed opportunity too given the result up in Dundee….

A chance to go top on Friday again though. 

On 26/02/2024 at 10:52, Jilted John said:

Not really sure where the line that Morton are ridiculously over physical comes from. I remember a bit of bad temper from them following on from a dodgy penalty award in the first game at Starks but haven’t really seen much else, particularly in the game at Greenock. They have a direct style of play with physical players up top but I don’t see anything wrong with that.

I think this will be the game where we win by more than a single goal. 2-0. Rudden x2

I take this back. They are complete hammer throwers!

Did not attend but a draw is a decent enough result for both teams. Hopefully we can push on for the Inverness game on Saturday to keep this run going.

If Power has deliberately stamped on that wee rat Vaughan then he should be given freedom of the town and the keys to Victoria Tower on his return. 

IMG-20200518-WA0002.jpg.54c194ee7c4a8c0309b191708f03bee2.jpg

Just now, virginton said:

Did not attend but a draw is a decent enough result for both teams. Hopefully we can push on for the Inverness game on Saturday to keep this run going.

If Power has deliberately stamped on that wee rat Vaughan then he should be given freedom of the town and the keys to Victoria Tower on his return. 

IMG-20200518-WA0002.jpg.54c194ee7c4a8c0309b191708f03bee2.jpg

I said stood on you utter sausage.

Got that completely wrong. After saying in my OP that this would be a belter it was actually a total shitfest. Morton are a horrible team to play against and watch but it works for them. You need a strong referee too and Kirkland wasn't that tonight.

What was wrong with jakey Imrie? Seemed to have beef with our dugout right from the kick-off, or is he always that pissy?

Positives…result in Dundee, a clean sheet and relatively assured defensive performance.

As far as an attacking display goes, pretty woeful. Is it a case of too many cooks? To go the whole of the 2nd half, shooting down to our end and offer zero threat is dismal.

Morton were well drilled, very ‘robust’ and clearly playing with confidence. A draw wasn’t necessarily the wrong outcome but if someone deserved to win it was certainly them!

Away fans made plenty noise for the small numbers, out sang our 4,000 sweetie wrapper rustlers for 90mins.

One thing that confused me… Why, for the last 5/10mins were the Morton defence (MacDonald in particular) wasting time? With ourselves and Utd stuttering,  Morton aren’t a million miles away from getting in the title picture themselves. It’s not like we were the dominant force going in to the closing stages! if anybody was going to win, it was them so for some of their players to ‘accept’ a point with plenty time left doesn’t say a great deal for their mindset

A good night, albeit not really due to ourselves. 

Not really much that can be said about that - a poor game of football and I can't remember either goalkeeper being troubled. The positive is that we got a rare clean sheet and the defence actually looked like a proper defence, which isn't something that has always been true this season. 

It just seemed that a bit of confidence and, above all, attacking prowess, was lacking. Too many punts and in particular to Vaughan in the second half; what is he going to do with them, exactly? If we were going to go down that route I'd have left Hamilton on and at least given us two big forwards to aim at. 

Edited by Michael W

An awful game of football.Would love to say that was all on Morton but I think we were the biggest culprits.

Lack of imagination across the park…punts up the park…throw ins were wasteful…clueless going forward. As the home team we never took control of the game at all.

In relation to the above Morton were only slightly better. Few poor challenges with the follow throughs.

Sure both teams will be happy with a point.

20 odd players getting leg rubs tomorrow…Lewis Strapp getting his shoulders rubbed!! Some throw-didn’t get it as far late on mind you.

Don't think either side can complain with a point there, Raith had a few spells where momentum swung their way and found a lot of space during them but ultimately didn't create a clear cut chance with that, while we did create some but they were mostly of the scrappy variety rather than incisive attacking play and we ultimately weren't clinical with them anyway - Quitongo clean through twice and made an arse of it to the point of not getting a shot away twice, Baird just missing the target from a long throw, O'Connor unlucky not to deflect Strapp's shot in.

Has to go down as a good point, especially with no Oakley, no Mullen, losing Wilson and Muirhead clearly unfit.

Edited by Dunning1874

56 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We've a demoralised Arbroath  now on Friday night , just keep their reserve goalie off the park and we should be fine

Sure I read somewhere he’s been released.