Inheritance

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think it's more likely that people will just spend what would once have been an inheritence - one of those quoted in the article says that his parents took early retirement and are spending all their pension lump sum on holidays.

Paging @Granny Danger to the Inheritance thread!

Was left a four figure sum when my old man died, didn't want it and gave it away to a charity (they didn't do much for my family when needed but hoped the donation could help others in the situation).

I've always said, you come in the world with not a thing and so you should leave it.

I heard a story recently.

Someones mum died a few months back, she had 3 children, left 45% to two of her children and left the third 10% (she had been having "issues" with him on and off for years).

After her death she has just left a massive grenade for her 3 kids to deal with.

There is now massive infighting and recriminations. 

Horrible

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Someones mum died a few months back, she had 3 children, left 45% to two of her children and left the third 10% (she had been having "issues" with him on and off for years).

After her death she has just left a massive grenade for her 3 kids to deal with.

Horrible

If you kick up a stink in that situation, it kinda highlights why you're only getting 10%, doesn't it?

My old man's been talking about my inheritance a lot lately; it's really nice he's thinking about us, but I just keep asking if he has anything expensive he wants to do, because now's the time. Cliche, but you can't take it with you.

When my old man goes there won't be much, a couple of grand at most I reckon.

It gets awkward as my brother died ten years ago and left two kids, whose mother wanted them to have nothing to do with this side of their family. That'll be fun trying to make sure they get what's there's, though they are at least adults now.

F-I-L on the other hand, easily into 7 figures, only her and her sister as beneficiaries. Least the wee man we've had will be fine.

My own will is trickier, got 3 from a previous relationship, 1 from current, plus this house. House goes to the missus, kids get equal shares of half the pension pot n insurance.

50 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Horrible

My mum got written out of my grans will, with the other three siblings getting a third each.  Absolute grenade that caused a long term rift* when one of them wanted to honour his mum's wishes.

*ie. only spoken again once since, at a family wedding years on.

32 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My mum got written out of my grans will, with the other three siblings getting a third each.  Absolute grenade that caused a long term rift* when one of them wanted to honour his mum's wishes.

Was this in Scotland?

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Was left a four figure sum when my old man died, didn't want it and gave it away to a charity (they didn't do much for my family when needed but hoped the donation could help others in the situation).

I've always said, you come in the world with not a thing and so you should leave it.

^^^ this. Is the right answer. 

I’m not living my life in the expectation of winning some elder’s hard earned gains. I’ll do it my way for myself. 

I’ve said to mother a-p many times (who frets over what few assets she has) that there are no pockets in a shroud. It’s a neat trick to pull off - and so far one that I have yet to work out - but if you breathe your last on the day your bank account hits its last £1, you’ve won. 

Meantime, to both lighten the mood and pinch the MO of @SlipperyP, here’s what I’ll be having played at my funeral: 

6 hours ago, Raidernation said:

When my father died he left a will splitting everything 50/50 between myself and my brother. My brother tried to claim the will was invalid because it was written before he (somehow) produced a sprog with his ex, therefore my father had a grandson. Claimed that this meant he should get more. Also tried to hide certain documents (such as shares my dad had in RR), took my father's car without permission, was desperate to take the drinks cupboard (probably well over 2000quids worth (lot of single malts, dad collected) and a couple of other things.

Our relationship was already pretty poor, and I knew he was a c**t, so, it was no surprise.

That’s awful. it’s bad enough to lose a parent never mind putting your sibling through this kind of shit. I hope he didn’t get away with it.

Mum and Dad don’t have much to leave so I doubt we’ll get an awful lot which is fine with me tbh. I’d rather see them enjoy it now whilst they can and make the most of their retirement.

There is just my brother and I, and we get along very well. I don’t want to tempt fate but I don’t see us fighting over what’s left, I expect it’ll be 50/50 split and so there won’t be much to fight about.

Folk generally think the wealth they've accrued will be a big help to their children during their lives, but the peak age at which our parents die is 61. That's leading to a new phenomenon, inheritance skipping a generation and going to grandchildren aged around 30, who then put it straight back into housing.

I'm with (at least) a couple of others here, there are few opinions I hold more firmly than that inheritance tax should be really high and the threshold really low, with a few exceptions. It's literally the most unearned income anyone can ever receive, it perpetuates inequality, it bloats the housing market and most of it was never earned in the first place because it's the outcome of house price inflation.

It also turns relatives into grasping monsters.

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/app/uploads/2017/12/Inheritance.pdf

image.thumb.png.cd15607b3208fd0cc111b2a2f0646292.png

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Can remember listening to a program on Radio Scotland about wills about 10 year a go As far as i can remember it would not be legal to do what your gran did. If i remembered right and it is a big "IF" your mum would be entitled to a quarter of a quarter of her estate. It said the Scottish Gov. had plans to tighten it up even more. If anybody is in the same situation better get some legal advice

Edited by maicoman

My mums partner died and their kids got a cash payout equal to the value of their share of the moveable estate.

There is a gentleman's agreement that when my mum goes ill give them 50% of the house value.

I get some really nice Xmas presents from them and they are really good to me. Let's hope they can keep that up.

18 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Can remember listening to a program on Radio Scotland about wills about 10 year a go As far as i can remember it would not be legal to do what your gran did. If i remembered right and it is a big "IF" your mum would be entitled to a quarter of a quarter of her estate. It said the Scottish Gov. had plans to tighten it up even more. If anybody is in the same situation better get some legal advice

I'm surprised at that. I thought you could write your will any way you wanted.