SNP's Next Permanent Manager 2024

Who will be SNP's next permanent manager?  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 30/04/2024 at 09:53, GordonS said:

Give it Angela Merkel to end of election.

Kate Forbes is basically the Scottish Angela Merkel so you might not be far off. 

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I can't stand the "unelected First/Prime Minister" meme that seems to be trotted out more now.  We have a Parliamentary system.  Every party who has been in government in any part of the UK has changed leader at some point and not had an immediate general election - SNP when moving from Salmond to Sturgeon to Yousaf and now to Swinney or Forbes; Tories from Thatcher to Major and then Cameron to May to Johnson to Truss to Sunak; Labour going from Blair to Brown and even from Harold Wilson to Jim Callaghan if you want to go old school.

You can go further and point out it is technically the Monarch that chooses the Prime Minister. 

And I don't remember voting for a monarch

dennis.jpg.957fb72ebfad6288d870d23dc02e2c77.jpg

4 hours ago, CambieBud said:

As you well know orfc, Holyrood is set up differently from Westminster. A government cannot just decide to call an election. 

Strictly speaking, the SNP could refuse to nominate anyone as FM (and ensure no other party leader got it) and eventually that would lead to an election.

But it would be utterly pointless.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I can't stand the "unelected First/Prime Minister" meme that seems to be trotted out more now.  We have a Parliamentary system.  Every party who has been in government in any part of the UK has changed leader at some point and not had an immediate general election - SNP when moving from Salmond to Sturgeon to Yousaf and now to Swinney or Forbes; Tories from Thatcher to Major and then Cameron to May to Johnson to Truss to Sunak; Labour going from Blair to Brown and even from Harold Wilson to Jim Callaghan if you want to go old school.

Holyrood is also different in that the FM is elected by the Scottish Parliament. So the electorate does get a say by proxy, in the same way we get a say by proxy for anything the Parliament does.

More than that, John is clear that he is determined to return the SNP to governing from the mainstream. Competent, candid government earning the trust of the people. That was the vision I offered in the last leadership contest & is evidently demanded by the Scottish public.

Interesting use of 'return'.  When did the SNP stop governing from the mainstream?

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting use of 'return'.  When did the SNP stop governing from the mainstream?

Clearly it was when they failed to elect Kate Forbes, with her famously mainstream views, as leader.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Presumably a swipe at the Greens. The SNP will now try and pin literally everything that's gone wrong in the last 18 months (give or take an embezzlement charge) on the well meaning, but entirely naive shoulders of the Greens.

They need that to stick to have a hope.

Delighted that the bigoted homophobe is not running; can just about stomach her getting a cabinet job.

Douglas Ross (of the Conservative Party) calling it a “shady backroom deal” totally oblivious to what’s happened at U.K. level since the last GE.

If someone isn't mocking up John Swinney and Kate Forbes in the style of the American Gothic painting, then there is a trick being missed...

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If someone isn't mocking up John Swinney and Kate Forbes in the style of the American Gothic painting, then there is a trick being missed...

I recall there was a Ruth Davidson one with (I think) Douglas Ross.

Ha so it's a totally democratic and transparent process then, I knew me and that SNP lot were missing something, we're so silly 🙂

For some reason I keep thinking of Michael Fish explaining that technically it wasn't a hurricane, just 100mph winds that blew over all those houses

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

@sophia hope you’re not too upset at this news. 

I'm satisfied at this turn of events and the future looks very promising.

Moreover, I'm glad to bring some balance to what would otherwise be a dreadfully dull internet cul-de-sac. I'm especially glad that @oneteaminglasgow continues to be outraged by my humble reflections. 

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Kate Forbes is basically the Scottish Angela Merkel so you might not be far off. 

Note sure I would compare an incredibly astute politician and leader of the free world for most of the century so far to someone that couldn't answer obvious questions from a journalist in her leadership campaign, but sure, their views are probably pretty close. Like Merkel put a vote on gay marriage before the Bundestag saying it's a matter of conscience, knowing it would pass, and voted against it.