Scotland ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ v ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น Portugal - 15th October

Think we were really good defensively tonight, a lot of those lads will have sore thighs with the amount of blocks that they put in.
ย 

On the ball and going forward I didnโ€™t think we were great if Iโ€™m honest, which changed when Dykes, Morgan and Gauld came on. Gauld should get a start soon IMO.
ย 

Mctominay wasnโ€™t on his best game but heโ€™s been a man possessed at times so can let it slide. Donโ€™t think the wing suits Christie but he won a few fouls off that dodgy ref
ย 

Need to say, I was part of the pile on during the euros but Ralston was decent tonight and think heโ€™s a capable backup. He just got unlucky with the ball across to Mctominay late on.

Encouraging signs but some wins are badly needed and soon hopefully.ย 

23 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Watching this version of Ronaldo in person is very funny. Proper comedy, pantomime villian stuff.

Anyway, one for the fact merchants...

Number of goals at Hampden:

Cristiano Ronaldo = 0

Lee Wilkie = 1

Correct.
There's zero difference between those cheering him earlier in the day and those booing him at the game.

ย 

Thought Tony Ralston was excellent tonight. Heโ€™s made a few errors for us but you can never fault his attitude, and he never hides. I had the fear looking at who he was up against but apart from Leao putting him on his arse towards the end, he handled everything pretty well.ย 

11 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Wow.

The Tartan Army haven't been this happy since Scotland beat England 0-0.

ย 

ย 

Your trolling hasn't been this bad since... the last post you made on this sub forum.ย 

Edited by Jives Miguel

A point against that Portugal squad is always going to be a good result for us regardless of circumstances. Defending was a mixture of excellent and desperation but it got the job done and we could have sneaked one if the chances we created but that would have been pure smash and grab. Thought all the defence deserve credit but for me McLean was outstanding tonight.ย  Devlins last ditch block was utter class,ย  a rare thing of beauty. Oh and Ronny is done, finished,ย  washed up and it's hilarious to see especially given all the wee dicks there to idolise him. A win against Croatia will set us dome sort of do or die in Poland hopefully.ย 

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Possibly mentioned but defeat tonight would set worst run in our history...ย (5 consecutive defeats - been 6 previous instances of 4 consecutive defeats of which only 1 was all competitive too).

Ignominy averted tbf.

43 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

He had no interest in playing for Scotland until we qualified for Euros, I just donโ€™t think his heart is in it.

Aye, that's why he flew from Turin for two Nations League games while just back from injury and stuck around despite having a virus.

Being in the ground and able to see the whole pitch you realise just how much of a passenger Ronaldo is. Those Portuguese players must have been pissed off seeing their numbers come up on the subs board while a guy with the appearance and movement of mahogany stayed on the park. He could get a game up front for us but he's absolutely done as a top-level footballer.

He used to be a superstar. Now he's just a guy playing for a club that's a few league places above a team featuring Jack Hendry.ย 

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

I hate the modern cliche of disgruntled supporters in forums immediately describing any slightly underperforming manager as a โ€œFRAUD!!!!โ€

ย 

ย  Hide contents

Martinez, however, is an absolute fraud.ย 

ย 

Ruined a great generation of Belgian talent and the Portuguese FA thought, "Hey, that's the guy for us!"

He's nearly a good manager, in that his teams are well set-up, do all the modern stuff well like pressing and rotations, but there's just something wrong with them.ย 

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ruined a great generation of Belgian talent and the Portuguese FA thought, "Hey, that's the guy for us!"

He's nearly a good manager, in that his teams are well set-up, do all the modern stuff well like pressing and rotations, but there's just something wrong with them.ย 

Tbf to him, he did remarkably well to make an arse of the Belgium job with the vast array of talent in that squad at the timeโ€ฆ

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Being in the ground and able to see the whole pitch you realise just how much of a passenger Ronaldo is. Those Portuguese players must have been pissed off seeing their numbers come up on the subs board while a guy with the appearance and movement of mahogany stayed on the park. He could get a game up front for us but he's absolutely done as a top-level footballer.

He used to be a superstar. Now he's just a guy playing for a club that's a few league places above a team featuring Jack Hendry.ย 

The first round of substitutions on 60m I noticed Bruno visibly shaking his head at the numbers held up. Whether that was down to the lack of a 7 or not is anyone's guess. Martinez must be shit scared of taking him off much like the ref tonight was shit scared to book him.

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Correct.
There's zero difference between those cheering him earlier in the day and those booing him at the game.

ย 

The only folk cheering him were wee weans mostly u12, they weren't the ones booing him. Presumably you were nowhere near Hampden and are making your assumption up ?

It's a shame that the team didn't get a proper moment to celebrate (like they were denied in Zagreb), but I'm sure they'll be happy to remind folk that they're still capable of getting good results.ย 

The back four have pretty much been as good as you can expect from them in these two games, and Souttar's performances showed the benefit of staying loyal to players who have previously stunk the place out for Scotland. Ralston probably benefited from going up against Jota rather than Leao for an hour, but I do think he's a bit underrated on the ball in buildup and he seemed to win some really important defensive headers in the second half. Robertson was top drawer in these two games too.ย 

I genuinely do not understand why people take against McLean so much. He's not perfect and was deservedly about sixth-choice midfielder for a while, but he's probably gonna get to 50 caps and have had very few poor games in that time. He'd have been in strong consideration for my MotM tonight, as he got us out of jail a few times by winning fouls or retrieving the ball just in time. I actually quite like his partnership with Gilmour. I know there were some heart-in-mouth moments when playing from the back, but having Gilmour in there really does alleviate a lot of that pressure.ย 

Another positive international break after the disappointment of the summer, however we really need to pick up a win or two in November now to regain some of the lost faith.