Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Into the local Cooperative today to get 500ml of pasteurised cow udder juice and there's two self service tills, card only. Undertakes me transaction and it still asks "how would you like to pay" with only one option - card.

p***ks. 

This is almost an entire sub thread of its own.

Sainsburys local nearby got new SS tills, and the default option is STILL cash. 

I mean, get to actual f**k, why do I NEED to press another fucken button when about 99.99% of the transactions in that shop are made by students using their bloody phones?

Local aldi defaults to contactless - it cannae be that difficult.

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I mean, get to actual f**k, why do I NEED to press another fucken button when about 99.99% of the transactions in that shop are made by students using their bloody phones?

What really annoys me are these fucking ATMs - Co Op being a prime example, that give you the option :

Cash with receipt

Cash without receipt

View balance

I select cash without receipt then it asks me if I want to view my balance. NO I FUCKING DON'T THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T SELECT THAT OPTION.

You'd think they get commission or something if you look at your balance. Fucking wanks.

Amazon’s Alexa is doing my tits in these days. If she’s the future, if she’s artificial intellegence, we’re doomed…

’Alexa, what’s the distance from Glasgow to Southampton?’

’I’ve found a dog grooming salon near you in Uddingston. It’s eight miles away. It’s currently closed’.

’Oh fcuk off’.

’Beeeeeep.’

58 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The one near me got SS till changed out, and for reasons I dont understand, the packing bit was changed to one about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, directly under the scanning machine which overhangs it by a good bit. An absolute pain in the arse. 

58 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Amazon’s Alexa is doing my tits in these days

No sympathy here. You've brought that on yourself. 

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Amazon’s Alexa is doing my tits in these days. If she’s the future, if she’s artificial intellegence, we’re doomed…

’Alexa, what’s the distance from Glasgow to Southampton?’

’I’ve found a dog grooming salon near you in Uddingston. It’s eight miles away. It’s currently closed’.

’Oh fcuk off’.

’Beeeeeep.’

Keith Lard - Phoenix Nights - YouTube

8 hours ago, Rugster said:

What really annoys me are these fucking ATMs - Co Op being a prime example, that give you the option :

Cash with receipt

Cash without receipt

View balance

I select cash without receipt then it asks me if I want to view my balance. NO I FUCKING DON'T THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T SELECT THAT OPTION.

You'd think they get commission or something if you look at your balance. Fucking wanks.

I'm sure someone has told me before that they do charge the outlet for checking that, hence the countless prompts probably hoping you press the wrong button. It's the sort of thing that's probably false but could be true and ultimately I don't give enough of a shit to check if it is.

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

Cash with receipt

Cash without receipt

View balance

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm sure someone has told me before that they do charge the outlet for checking that, hence the countless prompts probably hoping you press the wrong button. It's the sort of thing that's probably false but could be true and ultimately I don't give enough of a shit to check if it is.

Some ATM's do get to charge you for balances...here's an example from Europe.

It manages to nick a fee everytime, if you aren't watching.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

If we check our balance from an ATM we have to pay a fee and another if we decide to then withdraw money.  And they sometimes (often)  limited amount to £50 so you need to do 3 or 4 withdrawals - and pay the fee each time.  Fucking crooks. 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

That boy is very good on YT. Watched loads of his videos before going to Prague and saved us time and money. His videos on cash machines were spot on as there are quite a lot of places in Prague which are still cash only so it's normal practice to take money out. The biggest scam is which exchange rate to use. They want you to use their own so put that option in green to trick the gullible. Absolute rogues.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Really not sure how watching lots of videos on YouTube about Prague ATM protocols constitutes saving time tbh. 

He did other things than ATM chat. Prime example being, what bus to get from the airport into the centre and how to use the ticket machine.

ETA- Wait, does that make your post "a swing and a miss"? Yasss.

Edited by jimbaxters

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

That boy is very good on YT. Watched loads of his videos before going to Prague and saved us time and money. His videos on cash machines were spot on as there are quite a lot of places in Prague which are still cash only so it's normal practice to take money out. The biggest scam is which exchange rate to use. They want you to use their own so put that option in green to trick the gullible. Absolute rogues.

Yep, it’s a definite move to “guide” people to choices that raise revenue for the ATM operator. People exposing the double talk (listening to the customer service rep in that video was instructive) is a good thing, especially when it makes people aware of the scams.

Holiday insurance.

I had a worldwide policy with Post Office which runs out in August, think it cost me around £100.

I had a stroke on 31st Dec in Poland.  Post Office new all this coz I informed them and their medical team eventually had to repatriate me.

So, I called them yesterday to see if my policy had changed as I wanted to go to Portugal in April/May. 

Woman told me that my change of policy (as apparently I was officially informing them I had had a stroke) would cost me an extra £738 until August.

They said I can leave it but I would not be insured for anything that could be stroke related.

They also said that I could claim my Germany trip with my mate for the Euros, (which I had booked before my stroke and I will be well enough to go.  It would have left my mate in the lurch if I cancelled).

Or I could cancel my policy and I would get the money balance of a refund on my unused policy until August.

So I did a bit of shopping around and could get a Europe only policy for a year with Admiral (with my stroke/health issues noted) for £120-£170 depending on policy.

So I called them back asking if they changed my policy to Europe only from now until August how much, if anything would it cost.

The guy said, not only were they unable to change my policy, if I closed my policy (and took the remaining money) it would also close my claim for my expenses I was claiming for (in Poland, about £200 for meds, £3000 for medical treatment and over £500 I had shelled out for my trip to Peru that i purchased 5 days before my stoke). 

He said my policy must remain open for any claim you have submitted to remain live.

If he had not told me I would have no idea.  The woman had said nothing earlier.

I just hope my claim is settled before August.  They said they have received the relevant paperwork.

Upshot is, I have a new year long policy that has my stroke notified on it for £154 and will leave my policy open so my claim is live.  As for the £728...chancers!