Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I booked a B&B once in York, about 15 years ago, quite a nice place with friendly folk. I met the wife of the owner who was welcoming and the breakfast was good. It wasn't until I was leaving that I saw the name of the owner:

Marco Gabbiadini

He was a tasty player with York and Derby in his time but there were no football pictures on the walls or anything that would have led you to believe he'd been a footballer. He was actually quite a quiet chap.

Anyway the name of it escapes me but I'd recommend Marco Gabbiadini's B&B if it's still going.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I booked a B&B once in York, about 15 years ago, quite a nice place with friendly folk. I met the wife of the owner who was welcoming and the breakfast was good. It wasn't until I was leaving that I saw the name of the owner:

Marco Gabbiadini

He was a tasty player with York and Derby in his time but there were no football pictures on the walls or anything that would have led you to believe he'd been a footballer. He was actually quite a quiet chap.

Anyway the name of it escapes me but I'd recommend Marco Gabbiadini's B&B if it's still going.

Saw him play (& score) for Sunderland at their old Roker Park in the 80's.  A hero on Wearside at the time.

Had to confirm this on Wikipedia due to crap memory, but while doing so I found this gem

Months later, Gabbiadini lashed out and assaulted an Ipswich Town player while celebrating a hat-trick. Despite missing 11 games through suspension Gabbiadini finished as Sunderland's top scorer

😆

Edited by Boghead ranter

Commentators. 
Son. Heung Min Son. Son Hueng Min. 
Pick one, preferably the correct one or one that he wants to be known by and stick with it, please. 
Naismith. Steven Naismith. Naisy.

If that sort of thing confuses you don't attempt any 19th century Russian literature: Count Rostov/Alexei Sergeivich/Sasha/Mr Zinoviev can all be the same person.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Naismith. Steven Naismith. Naisy.

If that sort of thing confuses you don't attempt any 19th century Russian literature: Count Rostov/Alexei Sergeivich/Sasha/Mr Zinoviev can all be the same person.

It's not confusing, it's a petty thing that gets on my nerves. 😠

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

there were no football pictures on the walls or anything that would have led you to believe he'd been a footballer.

Now regretting not getting any photos of me during my Scotmid and nightclub barman days as they'd have been nice for the walls should I ever run a B&B. 

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Things that give areas in "number of football pitches".

Compare Glebe Park to Celtic Park and you'll notice rather quickly that football pitches come in very different sizes.

Measuring things in terms of London buses is the one that always rips my knitting.

This post is about apostrophes, so will be lost on the majority of users given how many of you use them incorrectly.

Anyway, my work has a 'Do's and don'ts' to protect against COVID. Although 'don'ts' is correct, it somehow looks wrong and weird, especially when in large writing and in capitals.

On 06/10/2020 at 09:04, DA Baracus said:

This post is about apostrophes, so will be lost on the majority of users given how many of you use them incorrectly.

Anyway, my work has a 'Do's and don'ts' to protect against COVID. Although 'don'ts' is correct, it somehow looks wrong and weird, especially when in large writing and in capitals.

Is do's correct? If it is a plural of do then surely just add an s. Dos and don'ts 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is do's correct? If it is a plural of do then surely just add an s. Dos and don'ts 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Either that or do's and don't's. Consistency is the thing.

On lists of rabbit holes to go down, this would be listed under shouldn’t’ve’s shouldn’t’vesavoid