Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

People have septic tanks? I thought that was an American thing

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Or - if you're lazy - pour two litre of coke down it and leave it an hour. 

does that work? With Cola? 

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Unless the boiling water causes the chemical to bubble out of the drain and give you chemical burns, as happened to my old tradesman when we were in a flat in the city centre. Albeit that was One Shot plumber's acid as opposed to household Mr Muscle, but still.

One Shot is absolutely lethal and it should not be sold to the general public. Take note b&q.

1 minute ago, supermik said:

One Shot is absolutely lethal and it should not be sold to the general public. Take note b&q.

Never seen it sold in any high street shops. I've always needed to get it from a plumber's merchant that either 1) knows me and or 2) I have an account with. I was even refused service for a bottle of it at Graham's Plumbers Merchant in Stirling as I hadn't used them before and needed a bottle while out there for a job one day.

19 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Drain is blocked. Get the plunger on it.

Not a chance, isn't our place. We're on a sort of flat swap for a week or so and there's no way I'm bringing up other people's hairs etc. They don't seem to have a plunger either, they're a young couple who I think are quite naive to these sort of things.

At home maybe once or twice a year we throw down some powerful smelling stuff, then boiling water a few hours later. Even the cats won't go near the bathroom when that's going on, utterly stinking.