What Are You Drinking ?

Mountain Goat is one of Australia’s longest operating craft brewers, operating since 1997. Asahi bought them in 2015. Their usually produce good beers and this one is no exception. Billy the Mid, no surprise that it’s a mid-strength at 3.5% but unlike mainstream equivalents it actually tastes good with lots of flavour. 

IMG_9584.jpeg

20 hours ago, Marten said:

Oranjeboom is awful, in the Netherlands nobody ever buys it in shops, it's only seen as the cheap event beer that organisers get to save money. The only worse "beer" is Heineken, that is just absolutely shite.

I haven't seen Oranjeboom over here in ages.

An American tourist asked for Heineken in my local last week (they don't sell it) the old Dutch guy at the bar said "drinking Heineken is like making love in a canoe - it's too close to water" I'm assuming he means canal water, it's an awful beer.

Edited by stevieKTID

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I haven't seen Oranjeboom over here in ages.

An American tourist asked for Heineken in my local last week (they don't sell it) the old Dutch guy at the bar said "drinking Heineken is like making love in a canoe - it's too close to water" I'm assuming he means canal water, it's an awful beer.

I haven't lived in the country for 14 years now so what I said about seeing Oranjeboom at events might be somewhat dated, since then I've only been to a handful of football games in The Netherlands and no other big events, but Oranjeboom wasn't really served at football when I lived there either.

22 minutes ago, Marten said:

I haven't lived in the country for 14 years now so what I said about seeing Oranjeboom at events might be somewhat dated, since then I've only been to a handful of football games in The Netherlands and no other big events, but Oranjeboom wasn't really served at football when I lived there either.

It seemed to just disappear, Amstel also isn't as prevalent as it used to be, Heineken's meedogenloze corporate machine seems to have crushed all the competitors in the sh*tty beer market, Brand bier seems to be hanging in there though.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

It seemed to just disappear, Amstel also isn't as prevalent as it used to be, Heineken's meedogenloze corporate machine seems to have crushed all the competitors in the sh*tty beer market, Brand bier seems to be hanging in there though.

Amstel is owned by Heineken so they aren't competition. Oranjeboom disappearing is a good thing though. I have noticed a number of former Heineken pubs in my hometown and other towns/cities in the area have changed away from Heineken. Especially Grolsch and Jupiler, both much better than Heineken (although that isn't hard), have replaced them.

Just now, Marten said:

Amstel is owned by Heineken so they aren't competition. Oranjeboom disappearing is a good thing though. I have noticed a number of former Heineken pubs in my hometown and other towns/cities in the area have changed away from Heineken. Especially Grolsch and Jupiler, both much better than Heineken (although that isn't hard), have replaced them.

I'd completely forgot about Heineken owning Amstel, I'm probably looking at it from an Amsterdam perspective ( classic Amsterdam attitude 😁)

The place where I play 6 a side has a lovely big terrace and is a great place to have a few beers after a game so you can imagine my rage when they went from having Jupiler on tap to Heineken, luckily they have a few other bottled options.

Brooklyn lager, £4.49 for 4 in home bargains. Where i also spotted this abomination. If I go back next week and it's all gone, I'll be surprised that anyone's bought it. Just so fucking wrong 🤢

20230709_123937.jpg

38 minutes ago, philpy said:

Brooklyn lager, £4.49 for 4 in home bargains. Where i also spotted this abomination. If I go back next week and it's all gone, I'll be surprised that anyone's bought it. Just so fucking wrong 🤢

20230709_123937.jpg

I saw that. Briefly considered getting one just to try it but thankfully decided against it.

On 09/07/2023 at 15:14, stevieKTID said:

I'd completely forgot about Heineken owning Amstel, I'm probably looking at it from an Amsterdam perspective ( classic Amsterdam attitude 😁)

The place where I play 6 a side has a lovely big terrace and is a great place to have a few beers after a game so you can imagine my rage when they went from having Jupiler on tap to Heineken, luckily they have a few other bottled options.

Jupiler was the standard draught beer where I was on holiday last year- lovely stuff. It's McSquackle family holiday time again and the campsite beer this year is Paulaner. Can't complain!

20230710_220209.jpg

On 08/07/2023 at 17:15, Stellaboz said:

Of course you're not. Amstel is superior though

Amstel brewed in Amsterdam is better than Heineken brewed in Amsterdam.

Amstel brewed in the UK, though, is not a good beer.

I really like Heineken. I wonder if the Dutch hatred for it is similar to it being fashionable for Scots to hate on Tennents?

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Amstel brewed in Amsterdam is better than Heineken brewed in Amsterdam.

Amstel brewed in the UK, though, is not a good beer.

I really like Heineken. I wonder if the Dutch hatred for it is similar to it being fashionable for Scots to hate on Tennents?

Scots who 'pretend' to hate Tennents and drink Peroni, Corona, Bud etc - usually bottles - are pretentious gypes who should be treated with the contempt they deserve. 😉