Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Navigation - Male vs Female:

I read an article recently that made a sweeping generalisation about how males construct a map in their head and have a subconscious knowledge of where north is, as opposed to women who rely on landmarks to get around (e.g. latter being "turn right at the petrol station before Huntly for Banff, f*** knows the direction of Huntly after that"). This applies strongly to our household, but does it also apply to yours? Have you also constructed a map in your mind?

Just back after a long weekend at Blackpool with Mrs Ranter, the wee Ranters and the mother in law.  All Ranters were going to the Pleasure Beach on Sunday, which mother in law didn't want to do, so she just went into town to rake through the pound shops.

She has a woeful sense of direction, and was worried about finding the caravan when she got back (despite all the vans in the park being individually zoned and numbered).  Mrs Ranter provided her with what she thought was a foolproof set of directions within the park.

What she didn't factor in was her mum going back to the wrong caravan park altogether :lol:

Getting back to the important topical issue of French & Saunders, I can remember acts like Cannon & Ball getting a smile out of me when I was a very young shaver. Hale & Pace were big with kids too; I remember folk at school pissing themselves repeating their material the day after they'd been on. I'd forgotten about F&S' material until I found one of their books yesterday, and it's utterly humourless, which reminded me of one of their stage shows, where they just hung around like they were waiting for the show to start. Not even an attempt made to be funny. Mystifying.

4 hours ago, supermik said:

Never really got Skinner and Baddiel either at times.

Same here, but they still had their moments, like Newman & Baddiel.

Tempted to torture myself by downloading some of French & Saunders' TV series. They must have done something funny.

On 02/07/2017 at 11:07, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've got a question. ... driving up to Aviemore, there's quite a few places where there is two towers either side of the road and some netting strung up over the road ... I'll try and find a picture on Googlemaps but does anyone have any idea what they're for?

How wide are they. They could be bridges to enable red squirrels to get across the road

7 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

How wide are they. They could be bridges to enable red squirrels to get across the road

They were reasonably wide. In fact, having just been to Go Ape, we were speculating whether they were left over from the course. Never thought of squirrels. How would they know to use it tho?

57 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

They were reasonably wide. In fact, having just been to Go Ape, we were speculating whether they were left over from the course. Never thought of squirrels. How would they know to use it tho?

Tufty probably told them. More likely that someone goes out and leaves a trail of nuts leading over the bridges and the squirrels follow the nuts. Even more likely is that they see some of their relations getting squashed crossing the road and the eventually realise it's safer to use the bridge. Squirrels are essentially climbing creatures anyway.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Its one of 4 majors like golf so its at least one of the 4 top things to win. Unsure if theres further ranking of the majors themselves but since they are all different surfaces and grass is probably considered the pure form of Tennis, that may be where the prestige comes from

The four Grand Slams are all ranked equally in terms of ranking points.

Think Wimbledon has the highest prize money, at least it was a couple of years ago, so there's that as well.