Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm clueless about boilers tbh, and it was our first house purchase, we should've taken a plumber with us and that's a lesson we've learned. 

And yes, I doubt I'll be pursuing the seller for anything. From what I've been told if there's a dispute within five days, the purchasing solicitor should withhold the amount of money quoted to fix the defect until the matters been settled, and our solicitor hasnt done that so is trying to wriggle his way out the situation.

Hes got a dreadful reputation now I've started asking around about him, again, another lesson learned.

Forgot to say earlier that it’s unlikely that your solicitor should have withheld any funds as in most transactions the whole price has to be paid to the sellers on the date of entry.  An exception to this can arise if , for instance , the missives contain provisions to the effect that the purchaser can retain part of the price until such time as some specified obligation which has to be implemented by the seller , has , been implemented. (eg some repair works to the house)

In your transaction neither you nor your solicitor knew about the defective boiler until a few days after the transaction had been completed, presumably with the full price having been paid on the date of entry.

Edited by A96

24 minutes ago, A96 said:

Forgot to say earlier that it’s unlikely that your solicitor should have withheld any funds as in most transactions the whole price has to be paid to the sellers on the date of entry.  An exception to this can arise if , for instance , the missives contain provisions to the effect that the purchaser can retain part of the price until such time as some specified obligation which has to be implemented by the seller , has , been implemented. (eg some repair works to the house)

In your transaction neither you nor your solicitor knew about the defective boiler until a few days after the transaction had been completed, presumably with the full price having been paid on the date of entry.

Solicitors assured us the funds were held back for 5 days under Scottish Law, and as long as a claim was filed within those 5 days we'd at least get a contribution.

This whole situation has been entirely based on his instructions. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm clueless about boilers tbh, and it was our first house purchase, we should've taken a plumber with us and that's a lesson we've learned. 

And yes, I doubt I'll be pursuing the seller for anything. From what I've been told if there's a dispute within five days, the purchasing solicitor should withhold the amount of money quoted to fix the defect until the matters been settled, and our solicitor hasnt done that so is trying to wriggle his way out the situation.

Hes got a dreadful reputation now I've started asking around about him, again, another lesson learned.

Maybe the ad was a give away..

5ce41dff08df3_lionelhutz.jpg.8e1fc558799aa05063a096143f820965.jpg

as for your boiler money, it was just resting in his account...

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Solicitors assured us the funds were held back for 5 days under Scottish Law, and as long as a claim was filed within those 5 days we'd at least get a contribution.

This whole situation has been entirely based on his instructions. 

That’s a new one on me , and is , in my humble opinion , with apologies for using legal jargon , utter pish.   Mind you , maybe that  explains why I got struck off. *

Only thing I can think of there is that if your solicitors paid the price to the sellers’ solicitors by way of a cheque , it might have taken 5 working days for the funds to clear with rhe sellers’ solicitors’ bank. In that event there would be the 5 day period before the sellers solicitors could safely pay out the sale proceeds to the sellers. 

But that’s entirely different from there being any obligation on the sellers’ solicitors to hold back funds for the benefit dI of the purchasers.

* I didn’t ....I quit some time ago while I was still ahead 

If a male deer is called a stag and a female deer is called a doe, then what the f**k is a deer?

A Stag is generally specific to the red deer species, a Buck or Hart is the general term for a male deer.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The solicitor sounds like a total shyster. I'd encourage you to name and shame, but since he's a solicitor and could probably sue P+B to kingdom come, maybe it's best not to. 

@Adam can you post here please I'd like to see your signature

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

@Adam can you post here please I'd like to see your signature

Of course.

Speaking of wasters when it comes to solicitors, I think my current one could give anyone a run for their money.  Hopeless doesn't cover it.

My thoughts are it’s either the racist Greenock bin-dweller or the perms-raging Leith manchild, but can anyone confirm which previously punted penis [mention=76958]Estragon is a fud[/mention] is an alias of? 

A real oddball.