The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm not going to come on here and claim Drysdale is doing a great job, I personally don't think he is, nor as bad as some make out, probably somewhere in the middle.  He does care about the Rovers and is, I would imagine, trying to make a huge success of getting it right off the field.  

I do sympathise with the points he makes but not the way he goes about it, it's probably fair to say he doesn't have natural charisma (who does in Scottish football?).  What initiatives would people like to see him and the board do?  Sacking Gary Locke is not really what I'm looking for either. How do we get the stay away supporters through the door? How do we attract new fans to the club? It's always about the stuff that's not gone to plan, rather than what we can do in the future.  

How do we get the stay away supporters through the door? How do we attract new fans to the club?

The answer to both those questions: win games of football on a regular basis.

The most important task the Board are ever faced with is appointing the right manager. If they get it right everything clicks. If they don't then at best there's inertia and we are stuck in a rut (Murray) or at worst it can spell disaster (Anelka, Dalziel). Only time will tell regarding Locke. He started off well, then tailed off, then got a wee lift in October, then a succession of draws, some against decent opposition, then this horrible start to 2017.

I don't believe in sacking a manager mid-season unless we are stranded at the bottom of the league. Locke still has time to turn things round. I'm not saying he will, but the worst I'm hoping for is a 7th or 8th place finish. Getting some victories again is a must to get moral up.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I don't believe in sacking a manager mid-season unless we are stranded at the bottom of the league.

I'm sure the board are off the same mindset.

As I mentioned earlier the board aren't going to give Locke the chop at this point as we're not sitting in an 'overly' dangerous position i.e. languished at the bottom of the league. I'm sure before the season started the aim would be to try and build on McKinnon's success in getting us to the playoffs again but if things didn't pan out like that then simply remaining in the league would be the next best outcome. The promotion playoffs, to me, are all but gone so best case scenario is try and ensure we're not slipping further down the league. I get we're not doing a good job of that at the moment and that teams are catching up but no amount of shouting from the hills that Locke should be punted will probably change the boards mind at this stage. As I also mentioned I fully believe Locke will be our gaffer next season should we stay up and it'll be interesting to see the hit on season ticket sales if that remains the case as it's clear there's many in our support that don't like him.

I agree though that people have every right to be aggrieved with Drysdale's comments, regardless of what tone people have taken it as, as at the end of the day they (the board) chose Locke and felt he was the right man for the job. The football on show is dire, performances/results not good enough and it's inevitable people will not be flocking back to Starks with what's on show at the moment. It's probably a no win situation. The board either take a financial hit and punt Locke or take a financial hit and see a reduction in people renewing their season tickets if they keep him.

I don't think anyone could say the playoffs are gone considering we're 6 points off 4th with a game in hand over Falkirk. We're playing awful just now but pick up a result against Dumbarton then go to Tannadice with abit of confidence we might find some form going into the second half of the season.

33 minutes ago, Raithie said:

it's clear there's many in our support that don't like him.

Its quite clear there is many on a Saturday that dont seem to like anybody involved at the club. The shouting and booing at some players is ridiculous. McKinnon, got it tight a few weeks ago, now folk on here can't shut up about him again. 

I was never a Locke fan, but why appoint him on a two year deal, surely given his previous track record a one year deal with a year option if required would have been sensible, if he is punted then we end up paying less, especially when we only give players one year deals.  

44 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The Dumbarton game is crucial. Loose that and 9th will look painfully close.

I would say if we lose that match, especially if it is on the back of a poor performance in the cup, then Locke will be under severe pressure. 

At most I would give him the next three league games against Dumbarton and Morton at home, and Dundee United away. If we don't win any of them then he should be out the door.

It's all good and well sacking managers, but who would you replace him with? 
Dafc.net had more than a few fans wanting Johnson sacked, but couldn't come up with a suitable replacement. Also folks didn't understand that it costs to sack a manager, money we could ill afford, can you guys afford to replace him? 

Liggy

I would say if we lose that match, especially if it is on the back of a poor performance in the cup, then Locke will be under severe pressure. 
At most I would give him the next three league games against Dumbarton and Morton at home, and Dundee United away. If we don't win any of them then he should be out the door.

Someone at my work was telling me that the bookies have Locke as 6/4 favourite to be next Scottish manager sacked.

The natural state of football fans is to over react. This time last year there were a few calls for McKinnon to be punted. Only one or two mind you but still, ridiculous given how the rest of the season panned out.

At this moment we are on a dreadful run, but regardless of what some say the promotion play offs aren't gone. Granted it would need a change in form, but they are still well within reach. On the flip side so is 9th spot if this run continues. So the jury is out. 

None of us can say with certainty how the rest of the season will go. That's why I'd still give him a few games to turn it around. If after the next four or five games we are still on this dreadful run then it's time to ask the question and probably time to sack him. A new manager will still have plenty of time to turn things around. To me it's still too soon. All is not lost. 

8 hours ago, Daz80 said:

I'm not going to come on here and claim Drysdale is doing a great job, I personally don't think he is, nor as bad as some make out, probably somewhere in the middle.  He does care about the Rovers and is, I would imagine, trying to make a huge success of getting it right off the field.  

I do sympathise with the points he makes but not the way he goes about it, it's probably fair to say he doesn't have natural charisma (who does in Scottish football?).  What initiatives would people like to see him and the board do?  Sacking Gary Locke is not really what I'm looking for either. How do we get the stay away supporters through the door? How do we attract new fans to the club? It's always about the stuff that's not gone to plan, rather than what we can do in the future.  

For a club like Raith, to attract more fans you must have a good youth system in place and have a manager willing to go with it, add in a few seasoned pros and be willing to play good football.  Gary Locke has brought nothing to the table as manager of Raith Rovers apart from bring in some lads and hope for the best.  He had no idea of Skacel was up to it, he doesn't show it in training yet blows a massively percentage of budget on him whilst neglecting other areas of the side.  McKinnons work is all being undone at this moment in time. Criminal 

It was always going to be the case that Locke would come under pressure the first blip that the team had.

I think his good start grants him an opportunity to show that he can drag the team back to winning ways but I can also see where folk are coming from with regards to worrying about how long we actually have before we end up in serious bother if things don't pick up.

One thing is for certain: An absolutely shit, hostile atmosphere on Sunday won't help anything. Generating an atmosphere isn't solely down to the supporters though...

31 minutes ago, Andy C said:

One thing is for certain: An absolutely shit, hostile atmosphere on Sunday won't help anything. Generating an atmosphere isn't solely down to the supporters though...

I wouldn't know what atmosphere to expect on Saturday. The game being on TV and being 1pm on a Sunday makes me think that it might be a bit quieter in our end. Some people might see it as a glamour tie, but there might be just as many who don't have an interest. 

In general, atmosphere is always going to be a problem for us. We've got a ridiculous stadium, which is hindered in that it's too large for us, and doesn't carry a good atmosphere which is full to the brim. Even then, the home supports haven't been as supportive as back when we won promotion and the first year or two under McGlynn. It's almost like groundhog day every season, with only McKinnon breaking the cycle. 

33 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

For a club like Raith, to attract more fans you must have a good youth system in place and have a manager willing to go with it, add in a few seasoned pros and be willing to play good football.  Gary Locke has brought nothing to the table as manager of Raith Rovers apart from bring in some lads and hope for the best.  He had no idea of Skacel was up to it, he doesn't show it in training yet blows a massively percentage of budget on him whilst neglecting other areas of the side.  McKinnons work is all being undone at this moment in time. Criminal 

It's brilliant that for a team which isn't your own, you actually add a lot to conversations on here about Rovers! 

For a club like Raith, to attract more fans you must have a good youth system in place and have a manager willing to go with it,

Tbh I'd imagine the Raith fans are far more concerned with having a winning team rather than where they come from.

32 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

I was of the impression Skacel's wage was being covered by an external source?

Money that could have went direct to the club if true. I've no idea, I won't pretend I do as a few on here know I'm genuine when it comes to Raith stuff.