The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hard to know what happens now.

1) Barry has to go, there must have been a release clause.. mustn’t there? 2) Alan Young’s time must be up 3) A large chunk of the players just aren’t up to it.

Full time football almost certainly depends now on how philanthropic Sim is feeling and how deep his pockets are.

I’d say Jim Goodwin, should Alloa stay down, has pretty much as good as passed a job interview. Wasn’t there tonight but was impressed with how organised Alloa were on Saturday.

I don’t trust those in the position to make the key decisions before next season to make them. We’ll probably end up with another joke figure as manager.

Not sold on Duffy, he scraped this league with Morton in an otherwise fully part time league. I’d be looking at your man Petrie at Montrose but he might attract interest from higher up the leagues.

Maybe they will Darren Young from us .

If we ever take another East Fife manager then I’m giving the Rovers a miss. East Fife are only there to take our dud players. There’ll be a few available this close season I’d imagine.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

I’m convinced Graeme Smith is part of some hideous revenge plot from Rangers for the whole Turnbull Hutton Sporting Integrity episode 

To have made that mistake once this season is careless, to do it twice is just mental.

7 hours ago, Enigma said:

Not sold on Duffy, he scraped this league with Morton in an otherwise fully part time league. I’d be looking at your man Petrie at Montrose but he might attract interest from higher up the leagues.

While I'd share your reservations about Duffy on the basis of the hard work we made of that season, we weren't the only full-time side. Dunfermline were also full-time.

image.png.41e47dbb6e8c2b7f9c02838627dcd3ee.png

5aeac2cf883f5_warnock(1).png.10bb5716eee60213ab3b5840b1a60211.png

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

While I'd share your reservations about Duffy on the basis of the hard work we made of that season, we weren't the only full-time side. Dunfermline were also full-time.

Photoshopped imo. 

Duffys an interesting one. He was being hailed a hero in the media last season for his work at Morton and then they've had a little bit of a poor spell towards the end of the season this year and he's out the door.

In all honesty, someone like McCall had the knowledge, contacts and experience to get Ayr out of this league in a rollercoaster season. If we took a punt on another young manager then a couple of good seasons and he'd be away to another club leaving us with the same situation as we were in before we appointed Locke. As much as a young, hungry manager on his way up is tempting, we don't have enough to keep him at Raith like St Mirren have done with Ross.

Maybe an old head with the ability to put foundations in place is exactly what we need. Many scoffed at the thought of Dick Campbell when his name was being thrown about. I just wonder if he'd have had it in his locker to get us up. His achievements at Arbroath this season and last are impressive enough to suggest so.

58 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

29 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Photoshopped imo. 

I concur.

Duffys an interesting one. He was being hailed a hero in the media last season for his work at Morton and then they've had a little bit of a poor spell towards the end of the season this year and he's out the door.

In all honesty, someone like McCall had the knowledge, contacts and experience to get Ayr out of this league in a rollercoaster season. If we took a punt on another young manager then a couple of good seasons and he'd be away to another club leaving us with the same situation as we were in before we appointed Locke. As much as a young, hungry manager on his way up is tempting, we don't have enough to keep him at Raith like St Mirren have done with Ross.

Maybe an old head with the ability to put foundations in place is exactly what we need. Many scoffed at the thought of Dick Campbell when his name was being thrown about. I just wonder if he'd have had it in his locker to get us up. His achievements at Arbroath this season and last are impressive enough to suggest so.

What? :lol:

We shouldn’t go for a young, hungry manager that may be excellent for us for a year or 2 as he’ll be targeted by a bigger team yet we should go for an old dinosaur to sort us out as nobody else will want him?

What? :lol:

We shouldn’t go for a young, hungry manager that may be excellent for us for a year or 2 as he’ll be targeted by a bigger team yet we should go for an old dinosaur to sort us out as nobody else will want him?

Another classic example of someone frothing at the mouth to get one over me without reading my post correctly.

Never once said "shouldn't" in that post. Just offered another option to think about. Consistency has been one of our biggest problems of the last 5 or 6 seasons. Since McGlynn left we've had 5 managers in 6 seasons. Stability is what we need and using unproven younger managers can be a serious hit or miss and if it is a hit (McKinnon season), we don't have the resources to keep a manager on the up.

Another classic example of someone frothing at the mouth to get one over me without reading my post correctly.

Never once said "shouldn't" in that post. Just offered another option to think about. Consistency has been one of our biggest problems of the last 5 or 6 seasons. Since McGlynn left we've had 5 managers in 6 seasons. Stability is what we need and using unproven younger managers can be a serious hit or miss and if it is a hit (McKinnon season), we don't have the resources to keep a manager on the up.

After Locke last season, we went for an “old head”.

How did that work out for us?

Give me a year or 2 with a decent young manager like Goodwin or McKinnon over an old dinosaur like Duffy any day of the week.

Frothing at the mouth? The only one that’s been frothing at the mouth since Relegation happened last year Martin is you.

23 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

What a 24 carat plonker you really are.

15 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

And one manager for three of those seasons, just to emphasis that lack of stability since then. Even at that I'm hoping for 6 in 7.....

After Locke last season, we went for an “old head”.

How did that work out for us?

Give me a year or 2 with a decent young manager like Goodwin or McKinnon over an old dinosaur like Duffy any day of the week.

Frothing at the mouth? The only one that’s been frothing at the mouth since Relegation happened last year Martin is you.

We picked a manager with all the credentials we were looking for at the time. I've no doubts that Hughes was a good appointment at the time. Maybe if he had his own players to bring in and the dressing room wasn't already a complete shambles then he may have done a different job at us but there's no way of proving that.

I've still never claimed to be in support of an older manager or a younger manager. What's evidently clear is the lack of consistency at the club in managerial appointments. Jim Duffys obviously got his critics and so did Campbell when he was in the running last year. It's very easy to look at the successes of Hartley, Ross and to an extent Goodwin. But you also have to consider that while the idea of having a young manager in place is great, there's plenty of 'dinosaurs' in the game who have equally done well. Duffy did win Morton the league, has kept them consistently safe in the Championship and managed to get Morton to the playoffs and a League Cup Semi Final last season. Already he's done more than any manager we've had since McGlynn.

I really hope I don't get under your skin as much as it comes across on here. I'd hate to think that you sit in your bedroom planning on how to disagree with me all the time.