The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Clarifies that that's our weakest side, and not just from a defence point of view, can only hope it doesn't happen as often as it has so far, 

Is it down to the 4-1-3-2 formation or a variation of that, that's causing the problem, also has Murray fully recovered from his shoulder problem  

How does that suggest it’s our weakest side? Like I pointed out above, it may be our strongest side for keeping the attackers out and forcing crosses or recycles, which then defeat the central defence. The cross doesn’t enter the net on its own, someone has to nurture and encourage it.

The 4-1-3-2 seems possibly susceptible to random deep shots, since Stanton exited, but that’s  a short window of experience. On Murray, how do you tell? Would it be less mugging attackers in the mixer or something else.

15 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

Brown and Byrne are very important to this team and are both quality players, but I can't help but feel like a midfield with just those two in it lacks something after watching it a couple times this season. 

Very much so. Byrne will take the ball in the middle and play it wherever it needs to go but he's nit going to run with it or create much.

Brown will put in the miles again winning it and making good passes. I'd say he's more mobile than Byrne but won't carry the ball 30, 40 yards like Stanton does. From memory the goals Brown has scored for us have been strikes from distance. 

It's likely Brown will end up back in defence which gives us Byrne plus A n other in the middle. Options are Matthews is he ready? Or McGill who's favoured position nobody really knows.

Putting Vaughan into a deeper midfield position which has been tried and is utterly pointless it's not his game. He's top scorer in the league because he's a striker he plays on the edge of the box onwards. 

37 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

Brown and Byrne are very important to this team and are both quality players, but I can't help but feel like a midfield with just those two in it lacks something after watching it a couple times this season. 

If we’re needing a ball Carrier when Stanton is out then Matthews is the perfect fit for that role when Spencer was here he was the Shaun Byrne get the ball then play it to the attacking players then Matthews was the progresser of the ball and it worked well 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Very much so. Byrne will take the ball in the middle and play it wherever it needs to go but he's nit going to run with it or create much.

Brown will put in the miles again winning it and making good passes. I'd say he's more mobile than Byrne but won't carry the ball 30, 40 yards like Stanton does. From memory the goals Brown has scored for us have been strikes from distance. 

It's likely Brown will end up back in defence which gives us Byrne plus A n other in the middle. Options are Matthews is he ready? Or McGill who's favoured position nobody really knows.

Putting Vaughan into a deeper midfield position which has been tried and is utterly pointless it's not his game. He's top scorer in the league because he's a striker he plays on the edge of the box onwards. 

If we need a partner for Byrne and brown has to play CH then Matthews has to be the one for me, a completely different option in the middle and plus McGill has never played in a MF 2 for us it’s either been full back or in the attacking positions 

It's amazing how being out for so long has people forgetting just how good a fit Ross Matthews really is. It shouldn't even be a question, he should be the partner for Shaun Byrne in the middle of the park with Brown playing CB. I'd like the pair of them in the middle even with a fit Sam Stanton (as it allows Stanton to play further forward where he can really cause some problems). Anyway, since we are all playing Champ Man here, i'll have a go myself for a lineup vs QP.

McNeill

Corr
Brown
Dick

Matthews
Byrne

Connolly
Easton
Gullan

Vaughan
Hamilton

3-2-3-2

10 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

It's amazing how being out for so long has people forgetting just how good a fit Ross Matthews really is. It shouldn't even be a question, he should be the partner for Shaun Byrne in the middle of the park with Brown playing CB. I'd like the pair of them in the middle even with a fit Sam Stanton (as it allows Stanton to play further forward where he can really cause some problems). Anyway, since we are all playing Champ Man here, i'll have a go myself for a lineup vs QP.

McNeill

Corr
Brown
Dick

Matthews
Byrne

Connolly
Easton
Gullan

Vaughan
Hamilton

3-2-3-2

I’d prefer:

McNeil

Masson/Brown/Corr/Dick

Matthews/Byrne

Mullin/Vaughan/Connolly

Hamilton

I’d live with McGill at RB, but I think Masson would be a good choice with Brown inside him (not now, Kenneth!)

A fit Ross Matthews would be a very welcome addition to the squad. It's worth keeping in mind that his last proper run in the team came in the 21/22 season. Between last season and this current one he's played just over 100 minutes of competitive football. As much as I'd love him to come back and hit the ground running with the quality we know he had, there's no guarantee that he'll be the same player after a lengthy spell on the sidelines and he almost certainly will need time to build match fitness and sharpness. 

1 minute ago, Ex Machina said:

A fit Ross Matthews would be a very welcome addition to the squad. It's worth keeping in mind that his last proper run in the team came in the 21/22 season. Between last season and this current one he's played just over 100 minutes of competitive football. As much as I'd love him to come back and hit the ground running with the quality we know he had, there's no guarantee that he'll be the same player after a lengthy spell on the sidelines and he almost certainly will need time to build match fitness and sharpness. 

Match fitness/Sharpness comes with game time though so even if he gets 60/70 on Saturday maybe bring on McGill if he’s not playing RB that Red Caird to Millen and the possible Euan Murray injury was the last thing we needed as we’re very short at the back either get O’Reilly deal wrapped or bring someone in before Saturday as it’s quite clear he doesn’t trust or have faith in Masson or Corr or he would’ve brought Corr on Saturday 

I wonder if there a bit of the McGlynn creeping in here. We have a god sized squad but Murray has been playing his first choice players regardless of fitness and its blowing up. 

Dabrowski against the pars was a horrendous decision. The guy couldn't kick a ball or dive to his right. Had that been any other team in the league we would have got horsed. 

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If we’re needing a ball Carrier when Stanton is out then Matthews is the perfect fit for that role when Spencer was here he was the Shaun Byrne get the ball then play it to the attacking players then Matthews was the progresser of the ball and it worked well 

See I must see things completely different from others, and I guess it’s good to see others perspective. 

For me, a fully fit Ross Matthews is very much an abundance of energy about the park who breaks up play and links between the defence and midfield in the holding role. Barely scores any goals, and isn’t really on the creative side - but his role is key in the team. 

It’s no disrespect to Ross - I just don’t see him technically in the same mould as Sam Stanton to be able to play that role. I’ve had this debate many of times in group chats with this view. 

I think similarly, when Vaughan has a dip in form, and someone maybe posts a little criticism or their views on his performance - a few are quick to jump and defend and sometimes I think it’s purely down to who it is - because both have been at the club for an extended period of time, many have a soft spot for them and sometimes I think it adds a slight tint to people’s views. 

Edited by RaithRyan

5 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

See I must see things completely different from others, and I guess it’s good to see others perspective. 

For me, a fully fit Ross Matthews is very much an abundance of energy about the park who breaks up play and links between the defence and midfield in the holding role. Barely scores any goals, and isn’t really on the creative side - but his role is key in the team. 

It’s no disrespect to Ross - I just don’t see him technically in the same mould as Sam Stanton to be able to play that role. I’ve had this debate many of times in group chats with this view. 

I think similarly, when Vaughan has a dip in form, and someone maybe posts a little criticism or their views on his performance - a few are quick to jump and defend and sometimes I think it’s purely down to who it is - because both have been at the club for an extended period of time, many have a soft spot for them and sometimes I think it adds a slight tint to people’s views. 

Yeah I get that but what I meant was he can do all of that what you said… what I’m getting at is he can also Travel with the ball from deep/carry the ball forward letting the attackers get more forward for options progress the ball forward and takes more risks, that’s my meaning of a ball progresser but I don’t disagree with what you said in the first part…  he is different Stanton ability and playing wise but he’s also different to Brown and Byrne and that to me what makes a good midfield 

2 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Not fitba-related, just a heads-up that if anyone here's a fan of Rate My Takeaway on YouTube - today's video is from Rebecca's in Kirkcaldy 🙂

Passed this place a hundred times and never even knew it was a Chinese 

I feel we are all overlooking Easton playing in the creative role in midfield. I don't see how it shouldn't be tried. Plenty other options on the left. He fits the bill perfectly in my eyes. He's added a lot to his game over the last 6 months or so. 

For QP

Dabrowski 

Masson  Corr  Dick

Byrne

Gullan Brown Easton Connolly 

Hamilton Vaughan

If O'Reilly signs him in front of Masson. 

When all fit then it will probably be

A back 3 of;

O'Reilly  Watson  Murray or Dick

I do feel it needs to be mixed up a little. We haven't dominated games like I feel we are capable of doing and certainly not finishing them off. 

I'm no the gaffer though and I can't see him changing his formation unless chasing the game but didn't at Airdrie for the 1st time this season when chasing the game. 

4 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I'm no the gaffer though and I can't see him changing his formation unless chasing the game but didn't at Airdrie for the 1st time this season when chasing the game. 

I thought it was a 3 at the back the last 10-15 minutes after McGill came on. Back 3 of Millen, Brown and O’Reilly. Could be wrong because I was only watching on a stream but certainly how it appeared with how high McGill played.

Im not totally sold on the 3 at the back as a permanent move. We were excellent against the Pars using it and it’s worked chasing games but the element of surprise has helped in those cases. Also, despite it working, on paper I don’t think we have a squad particularly well suited to playing 3 at the back. When we had Tumilty and MacDonald it made perfect sense but I don’t think we have any natural wing backs in the squad. I don’t see Murray making the switch yet, I think it will be tweaks rather than wholesale changes needed at this stage IMO.

However, I think moving Easton inside as the most attacking of a midfield 3 whilst Stanton is out is a good shout and definitely worth a shot. Different qualities obviously but he could add a lot in that role. I also think Smith is better off the left than through the middle.

I don't know if Easton would have the insight to play the role in the way that we play. I mean in terms of Stanton understands he needs to get forward through the middle and is a very intelligent player similar to Byrne in a lot ways about when to make a pass and where to move off the ball.

I think (but I'm more than happy to be proved wrong) Easton would try to take on too many players, drift wide or go for goal when all that's needed is a quick pass.

7 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I thought it was a 3 at the back the last 10-15 minutes after McGill came on. Back 3 of Millen, Brown and O’Reilly. Could be wrong because I was only watching on a stream but certainly how it appeared with how high McGill played.

Im not totally sold on the 3 at the back as a permanent move. We were excellent against the Pars using it and it’s worked chasing games but the element of surprise has helped in those cases. Also, despite it working, on paper I don’t think we have a squad particularly well suited to playing 3 at the back. When we had Tumilty and MacDonald it made perfect sense but I don’t think we have any natural wing backs in the squad. I don’t see Murray making the switch yet, I think it will be tweaks rather than wholesale changes needed at this stage IMO.

However, I think moving Easton inside as the most attacking of a midfield 3 whilst Stanton is out is a good shout and definitely worth a shot. Different qualities obviously but he could add a lot in that role. I also think Smith is better off the left than through the middle.

It looked to me like McGill was at left back. His use of subs on Saturday was perplexing and not thought out in my eyes. 

Like why would you even put Brown in to the back line when chasing the game? It made no sense?

It should have been Byrne Matthews and Brown in the centre with Smith on the left Connolly on the right. As much as Vaughan was having a poor game I'd have left him on with Hamilton, certainly not putting Gullan up there, he's rank rotten upfront. 

The back line should have been Millen O'Reilly and Dick. 

Murrays complete lack of tactical and a formational change to try and outwit Airdrie was worrying. We all knew, or I thought we did, that we had to change it up for this and he didn't and well the rest is history. 

I do think Easton should be tried in there. He is our most creative player on his day. Stanton is more consistent though. Stantons injury is huge but I really believe that we do have a squad capable of filing in there or should.