The New Raith Rovers Thread

Couldn't make the game tonight but sounds like we're playing pretty well. Hope Tade can find him scoring boots soon.

McGlynns fitness stuff really seems to be working as well. The man has worked wonders at the club.

Will be at the Spartans tournament on Saturday (and maybe Sunday) and am currently looking for a bald cap for it. Do the chicken shop sell them as they don't have them on their website?

I enjoyed tonights game, Norwich are a good side and I thought we competed well. Having said that, I got the feeling Norwich had an extra gear or two in reserve and only played as well as they needed to.

Tade's snatched effort in the opening few minutes was frustrating, a bit more composure in front of goal and he'll bag a few, he gets himself into the positions to score and I'm sure (hopeful) once he gets one, he'll get a few. It blatantly obvious we need another Kevin Smith, though.

I had to watch through my fingers every time the ball came into our box, Gary O, while he does a job, is rather, shall we say, unorthodox in doing it and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I don't want to concentrate on the negatives, though, as I was impressed with what I saw tonight. Despite playing in Englands third tier, Norwich are man for man a far better team than we are.

They played Bayern Munich once, don't you know..

Everyone knows the answer here is to play Robert Sloan there....except from John McGlynn who will continue to Iain Davidson.
True, I'll do that next time I see you. I'll feel like a proper fud, but I suppose I'm used to that feeling by now!

Spot on with both counts, but we'll be doing well to get a player who'll score 15 plus considering we'll be floating about the bottom half. Someone who plays as more of a poacher would be ideal.

And Simmons and Sloan tore Brechin a new arsehole on the one occasion they played 90 minutes together, but you just know they won't get a chance.

They MUST play together.

From what i've read, we did a good job. But the general consensus is that we need a striker and fast. The Norwich game has set the standard we have to aspire to, i don't think we have to worry too much this season tbh. The only thing i do worry about is the fact that we don't have a recognised striker, if McGlynn decides to run with Tade then we're in trouble. All i can say is this "Gregory see when you're through on goal, pretend that the ball is Fozzy's heid" :lol:

On last nights showing i dont think we will be every other teams whipping boys. In fact, and providing Tade starts to find the net, or we get another striker in, i think we are capable of humping a few teams in division 1.

A good and entertaining game to watch and a very promising start to our season so far.

On last nights showing i dont think we will be every other teams whipping boys. In fact, and providing Tade starts to find the net, or we get another striker in, i think we are capable of humping a few teams in division 1.

Good caveat there, so if Tade doesn't find the net and we dont get a striker in we are goosed.

Yes, without another striker we are and yes on only two games, but there was sufficient to see we definately are not duffers.

Come back and tell me that when we're playing a re-arranged game away to Ross County in mid-January.

First sight of the boys for me last night and I thought we played the better football. Probably created more chances - just missed them all. I'm sorry, but have to disagree with a few folk here - I thought (and so did my son) that Tade was brutal. 2 complete howlers in early first half, both of which I could have run from south stand to convert, and then anonymous in 2nd half, apart from the ball getting tangled up in his feet on the 6 yard line - another missed chance. His aerial ability is the same as mine and I'm considering the Lighter Life diet. You couldnt get a FFP under him when he jumps. His distribution was woeful too, to the point where his team mates stopped passing to him (and he never went looking for it, particularly at throw-ins) and he got a cheer when he finally DID find a blue shirt. I hope he was having a bad night, otherwise we're goosed.

Simmons was excellent, Murray sound enough, Williamson ineffective up front 2nd half (has he put on a bit of weight?), Campbell sound, Weir struggled against the high ball played to him when he had a 6'4" defender towering over him and I was pleasntly surprised by Bryce's impact, although I know that's what he's good at - sub impact - can he do it for 90?

Overall pleased with showing. Agree Simmons and Sloan together in midfield. Agree we still need a striker. We still need another keeper though - Gary O is a car crash waiting to happen. Reminded me of that buffoon Fahey in the Airdrie play-off. He went down in instalments for the shot which hit the post.

Despite all this I'm relatively confident. And I like the strip. And the away one.

Regarding the midlfield debate I didn't think Davidson was that good to be honest, he constantly gets pulled out of position wrecking the shape of the midfield, either always coming short to the keeper leaving him too deep, or chasing balls that leave him stranded out front. Add to that his usual semi wreckless lunges, and his quick and too the pointless free kicks and to be honest I think we ahve better players than him for his position.

For me, Walker impressed more than Davidson last night and certainly in Davos usual positon on saturday I thought squeak looked better. He can do the dirty work with more discipline when it comes to his positioning. Both Ferry and Sloan have a far, far superior range of passing. At the moment I would say it would be a choice of who partnered Simmons (assuming the latter maintains his form) out of Sloan, Ferry and Walker.

As for the defence, Campbell pretty much strolled through another game and both Murray and Hill looked capable, if at all possible i'd have both. Ellis struggled a wee bit, but then he was up against a winger with the kind of pace we aren't going to see in SFL1. The trouble is that the Ferry/Ellis combination on that flank has a good enough range of passing, but struggles for pace to get the ball away.

In attack I feel a bit for Tade, he's got the pace, the strength and thqat wee bit of skill, but his confidence and composure are simply not there at the moment. I think this will ocme with time. He gets one and he'll probably be set. As it stands, if we brought no one else in (for arguments sake) I would be more comfortable with Williamson up front, he does look like being an important player for us.

As for general play I thought we looked pretty good when we had the ball. Always looking for a pass and apart form one 15 minute spell, we were never humping useless balls up front, even when a longish ball was being hit, it was usually purposeful and the correct option.

I waas broadly encouraged last night, considering the superior level of opposition we had to play. I'd think Hamilton will be a more realistic test of our actual skill levels though.

enjoyed the game last night, alot of good players in Norwich's side and we played some really good stuff against them

Ellis, Ferry and O'Connor really struggled for me last night. Ferry and O'Connor will be back up to the first team and in fairness to Laurie his best position is centre half.

Davidson i have to admit did have a good game but he needs to cut out the stupid challenges, if that had been a competitive game he would of been booked with just that first challenge he made.

Simmons had another great game tonight and some of his passes were a joy to watch, admittedly most of them fell for Tade who on current showing has less chance than scoring than me (thanks for taking the pressure off me mate :P )

once we get Sloan and Smith back and get this mystery loan signing in to boolster the front line i think we will have a pretty good squad based on the showings so far. I understand that we cant base much on these games but they have the right attidute so far and i hope this carries through and we can take some confidence into our first competitive game.

For what it's worth: Some nice passing from back to middle, movement up front terrible, Tade a striker? Nope. Strikers don't panic when they get a sniff at goal, Tade shits himself. We were beaten by a fat Norwich side, at least 4 of them need to lose 1.5 stones. Not impressed with the Rovers to be frank, a lot of work still required.

4/10

See me after school.

For what it's worth: Some nice passing from back to middle, movement up front terrible, Tade a striker? Nope. Strikers don't panic when they get a sniff at goal, Tade shits himself. We were beaten by a fat Norwich side, at least 4 of them need to lose 1.5 stones. Not impressed with the Rovers to be frank, a lot of work still required.

4/10

See me after school.

Why, you gonna do things to them that they aren't to tell mummy and daddy about?