The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not a signing I expected us to make. You would have to imagine Laidlaw and Robinson are both moving on.

To be fair, I'd be annoyed if either of them stayed after this signing - we have an established goalkeeper here now and I'm uncertain who really will be our No1 next sesson right now.

Laidlaw seems to pick up a lot of injuries and I'm sure he had an op at the end of the season.

Wouldn't be gutted to see him go, I think the next 2 seasons are too important financially to risk a young keeper

Not a signing I expected us to make. You would have to imagine Laidlaw and Robinson are both moving on.

To be fair, I'd be annoyed if either of them stayed after this signing - we have an established goalkeeper here now and I'm uncertain who really will be our No1 next sesson right now.

I don't think Laidlaw will be moving on - a loan to Dunfermline or some other team of a lower standing is on the cards. That being the case we now have 13 players if you include Ellis so there's still a long way to go.

Good to see Cat has found a club quite quickly, really good goalkeeper, great shot stopper, crosses can be his weakness at times though.

Best of luck to him.

A bit like McGurn then. Like a few others here, not sure who'll be first choice either. Heart says the Witch, head says the Cat. Laidlaw on loan.

I personally think this is a pointless signing. If McGurn is going to be fit we shouldn't need Cuthbert and if McGurn isn't going to be fit we shouldn't have gave him a new deal, at least not in a playing capacity.

I personally think this is a pointless signing. If McGurn is going to be fit we shouldn't need Cuthbert and if McGurn isn't going to be fit we shouldn't have gave him a new deal, at least not in a playing capacity.

Not quite sure if serious... :unsure2:

It's not pointless at all, 2 good keepers fighting for the number 1 jersey. There will be no complacency at the back, if it was me i'd be training out of my skin to play week in week out. This is genius from Bert if you ask me.

ETA, you accuse people of talking pish a lot, but sorry dude that post is pish. Just saying likes, no nasty comebacks. It's my birthday today, so leave your scorn for tomorrow ;)

Edited by baillieinleeds

Really? Have you forgotten what happened last season already?

On the contrary, I think it's a very good signing and is good forward thinking from Murray to avoid any potential Keeper disasters going into the new season. As much as I love McGurn I was worried that when he returned he wouldn't be the same keeper, at least a bit rusty. His fitness would be an issue going into a very tough Championship. Also, I think somebody mentioned it, Laidlaw has had an operation recently. So we might have had 2 not-quite-match-fit keepers going into the new season (potential Keeper disaster).

Pretty happy with Cuthbert being here :)

An interesting signing. For me, it serves as a statement of intent in terms of the squad depth we'll be aiming for this season. I'd be surprised if Cuthbert doesn't start the season as first choice keeper, and if that is the case, then I hope Davie McGurn is happy with it, because I think he's a great Rover and I'd be very sad to see him leave the club (in January or whenever).

I'm looking forward to seeing who else we bring in, because it's looking more and more like we'll have real competition for places this coming year, something that has been really lacking.

I think this is a good move by Murray. I think Laidlaw could become a seriously good 'keeper but he needs to be a no.1 in order to develop. I therefore hope he is loaned out to a League 1 club and get a full season under his belt. Hopefully McGurn isn't to affected by his injury and we have 2 quality 'keepers at the club. If one get's injured or there are any other disasters we know we'll have a capable back up we can recall to the club. I imagine Cuthbert will start the season but I'd like to seen McGurn given the opportunity to challenge him, perhaps play him in the early round cup games we'll play. I wonder who will be given the no.1 on the back of their jersey?

#squaddepth

Edited by Enigma

Great signing. Always been impressed with him whenever he played against us.

Assuming McGurn regains full fitness then may the best man win the jersey, likewise if Davie is still going to be a little longer to get fully fit we have a more than capable goalie ready to go at the start of the season. Win/win.

It's not pointless at all, 2 good keepers fighting for the number 1 jersey. There will be no complacency at the back, if it was me i'd be training out of my skin to play week in week out. This is genius from Bert if you ask me.

ETA, you accuse people of talking pish a lot, but sorry dude that post is pish. Just saying likes, no nasty comebacks. It's my birthday today, so leave your scorn for tomorrow ;)

Personal opinion is Laidlaw is decent. I genuinely don't see the point in having 2 'numbers 1s'. Do you think McGurn doesn't train his heart out every week already?

I'll be back tomorrow to fire abuse at you.

Happy birthday though!

Really? Have you forgotten what happened last season already?

Laidlaw got flung to the sides for making a few mistakes and we brought in a sheer waaaash goalie to replace him.

I personally think laidlaw is a brilliant back up to McGurn.

Personal opinion is Laidlaw is decent. I genuinely don't see the point in having 2 'numbers 1s'. Do you think McGurn doesn't train his heart out every week already?

I'll be back tomorrow to fire abuse at you.

Happy birthday though!

Cheers pal, I just think Bert is trying to address the problems we had last season. More strength in depth is the answer, and 2 good if not great keepers fighting for the one jersey. It'll give the outfield players more confidence. But your opinion is valid though.

Laidlaw got flung to the sides for making a few mistakes

That we do not know. There was talk of Laidlaw carrying an injury and that he's underwent an op at the end of the season which would seem more plausible for him being dropped. The way I see it is the chances of either McGurn or Laidlaw being back to 100% fitness at the start of training is slim so bringing in Cuthbert is a shrewd move. It would just be our luck to rush Davie back to fitness and see him get injured again and find ourselves in a similar position to last season *shudders*.

That we do not know. There was talk of Laidlaw carrying an injury and that he's underwent an op at the end of the season which would seem more plausible for him being dropped. The way I see it is the chances of either McGurn or Laidlaw being back to 100% fitness at the start of training is slim so bringing in Cuthbert is a shrewd move. It would just be our luck to rush Davie back to fitness and see him get injured again and find ourselves in a similar position to last season *shudders*.

To be honest I think laidlaws looks a decent prospect so hopefully will get a loan this season and return better for it

Strange how Robinson didnt want to return though

Edited by Besty