The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cuthbert was a strange signing. It's not easy offloading players in January but I'd be looking to move on either Cuthbert or Laidlaw next month if possible.

McGurn was injured, mind, and I don't think there was really a timescale for his return. Was the plan not for Laidlaw to go out on loan, and then Cuthbert was injured himself?

We knew McGurn was out for the best part of the year after he got injured against Dundee - he was never going to be ready in time for the start of this season, so bringing in another keeper was the only sensible option. Laidlaw is also a bit injury-prone himself, so it was get in Cuthbert or bring in an understudy to Laidlaw who would fill in when he got injured.

Laidlaw would benefit from a loan spell - it'll open the door for him somewhere next season, so I'd definitely look to loan him out when Cuthbert is back.

We knew McGurn was out for the best part of the year after he got injured against Dundee - he was never going to be ready in time for the start of this season, so bringing in another keeper was the only sensible option. Laidlaw is also a bit injury-prone himself, so it was get in Cuthbert or bring in an understudy to Laidlaw who would fill in when he got injured.

Laidlaw would benefit from a loan spell - it'll open the door for him somewhere next season, so I'd definitely look to loan him out when Cuthbert is back.

Laidlaw had his best game which was in the Scottish Cup against Hibs, then he was buttfucked by being benched in favour of Robinson, I don't recall Ross being injured during this period.

Laidlaw had his best game which was in the Scottish Cup against Hibs, then he was buttfucked by being benched in favour of Robinson, I don't recall Ross being injured during this period.

I'm sure he got injured at some point this season and we had to put the U-19 keeper on the bench.

I'm pretty sure Laidlaw had recurring injuries at the end of last season, which eventually led to him having to go for surgery in the summer. We all knew of McGurn's quality, and now we know he can carry on. Having Cuthbert competing for gloves can only help. Sadly for Laidlaw, I don't think he's up to matching two very fine keepers for our level.

The real one I want to see is Craig Barr. I've built him up in my head as a Scottish Beckenbauer. He always looked class against us for Livingston, and was good at getting on set pieces.

Edited by rw89

I'm pretty sure Laidlaw had recurring injuries at the end of last season, which eventually led to him having to go for surgery in the summer. We all knew of McGurn's quality, and now we know he can carry on. Having Cuthbert competing for gloves can only help. Sadly for Laidlaw, I don't think he's up to matching two very fine keepers for our level.

The real one I want to see is Craig Barr. I've built him up in my head as a Scottish Beckenbauer. He always looked class against us for Livingston, and was good at getting on set pieces.

We have ourselves a quandary, as I understand it, due to Davie's injury he only signed a six month contract.

Cuthbert is on the mend, Laidlaw is fit and on the bench, Davie is in form, where do we go from here?

I know where my vote goes, The Witch.

We have ourselves a quandary, as I understand it, due to Davie's injury he only signed a six month contract.

Cuthbert is on the mend, Laidlaw is fit and on the bench, Davie is in form, where do we go from here?

I know where my vote goes, The Witch.

Davie needs to stay as No1.

I'd be inclined to tell Cuthbert he is free to find a new club. He will be on a decent wage and we could do without having someone like that sitting warming the bench each week. Obviously this would be dependent on him being close to a return to fitness. McKay will also be leaving and hopefully Perry too. It would be good to bring in a full back to push McKeown out of the team, a wide player and a striker who can actually score goals.

I'd be inclined to tell Cuthbert he is free to find a new club. He will be on a decent wage and we could do without having someone like that sitting warming the bench each week. Obviously this would be dependent on him being close to a return to fitness. McKay will also be leaving and hopefully Perry too. It would be good to bring in a full back to push McKeown out of the team, a wide player and a striker who can actually score goals.

Having two very good goalkeepers on your books isn't a bad problem to have.

I would prefer to see Laidlaw go out on loan in a bit to try an add some much need consistency and experience to what is still a little rough ability.

I'm a big McGurn fan, however he is has been dogged by injury the last 12 months. He certainly retains the number one spot for me but I'm more comfortable having Cuthbert ready to step in this season.

I'm with Paco on this, if McGurn doesn't remain our No1 and is signed to an 18 Month deal come Jan ill be helping lay the explosives in San Starko ...

Serious though, I'd hope there isn't even any thought atm in the Raith Coaches heads that Cuthbert is a better option than McGurn once he is fit again, Cuthbert is good, but McGurn is god.

Punt Cuthbert and bring a decent striker in.

Punt Laidlaw more like. It's actually great having 2 brilliant keepers in the team. It certainly means they have to up their game if they want that elusive No.1 spot. Right now the witch is getting back to his best.