The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sorry to change the subject. But are we, or should i say have we been looking at bolstering the squad in january. Particularly defence?

I'd hope not. I get the feeling we're still to see the best defensively, it is the one area of the pitch where we have solid cover and yet we're still unable to put out a regular consistent back line. I really don't see the need to bring in anyone else outwith a possible loanee. We're not shite enough to be worried about relegation but we're not consistent enough to be up the top with the challenging teams. Cut our cloth and look towards next season, where in reality we'll probably need to go back to part time football.

Sorry to change the subject. But are we, or should i say have we been looking at bolstering the squad in january. Particularly defence?

No and no. Turnbull has said Murray wont receive any of the cup money to spend, nor should he.

We arent go to go up, we arent going to go down. The sensible (and right) thing to do is clear as much of that debt as possible - just look at Dunfermline.

I'd like to hope we'll extend David Smith's loan, or even get another loanee in. I really don't want to see Hamill being put on the left again, and he's actually done a pretty decent job when he's played in the middle this season. I'd try and keep him there.

As much as our defence is letting us down at the moment, we already have adequate cover. Dispute the quality of it if you like, but we simply can't justify another signing, and we really must use the fantastic opportunity we've been given this season to pay down as much of our debt as we can. We've been lucky to get two ties against Celtic, but the important thing is the players went out, won the games, and got us in for the opportunity to get these draws. That's not something we've been accustomed to over the last few seasons for the most part.

Last season was an utter disaster for the club. This season, we have a fantastic opportunity to put things right, and I really think that we will.

I'd hope not. I get the feeling we're still to see the best defensively, it is the one area of the pitch where we have solid cover and yet we're still unable to put out a regular consistent back line.

:unsure: a defence thats been shipping goals for fun recently and have looked calamitous at times

We're not shite enough to be worried about relegation but we're not consistent enough to be up the top with the challenging teams.

a team thats only won a third of their games.couple of major injuries could see us in in the depths

Cut our cloth and look towards next season, where in reality we'll probably need to go back to part time football.

if theres reconstruction that would be out of the equation

I'd hope not. I get the feeling we're still to see the best defensively, it is the one area of the pitch where we have solid cover and yet we're still unable to put out a regular consistent back line. I really don't see the need to bring in anyone else outwith a possible loanee. We're not shite enough to be worried about relegation but we're not consistent enough to be up the top with the challenging teams. Cut our cloth and look towards next season, where in reality we'll probably need to go back to part time football.

The thing is we've tried every defensive formation, and we still can't defend corners or set pieces. Plus its arrogant presumption to say we're too good to go down, our discipline is at an all time low, and lengthy injuries or suspensions will drag us down. But if your happy with the defence the way it is, then bash on.

:unsure: a defence thats been shipping goals for fun recently and have looked calamitous at times

a team thats only won a third of their games.couple of major injuries could see us in in the depths

if theres reconstruction that would be out of the equation

If reconstruction occurs, I'm sure the board will take that into account. As for our defence, we may have looked calamitous at times but that certainly doesn't mean it is impossible for them to improve. Were we to field the same back like for four or five games without injury or suspension I firmly believe we'd see an improvement.

As for a couple of major injuries seeing us in the depths. I've every faith that we'll be comfortably away from the relegation zone come the end of the season. Even outwith Brian Graham (17 goals) and Spence (10 goals), we've got Pat Clarke who will put chances away when they present themselves. Grant Anderson, Allan Walker, David Smith and Simon Mensing are all capable of getting a couple of more goals. Defensively, we've already had a good few injury problems so far.

The thing is we've tried every defensive formation, and we still can't defend corners or set pieces. Plus its arrogant presumption to say we're too good to go down, our discipline is at an all time low, and lengthy injuries or suspensions will drag us down. But if your happy with the defence the way it is, then bash on.

We may have tried every formation so far, but have we tried them consistently? The answer to that is no, no we haven't. It isn't an arrogant presumption to say we're too good to go down. It is merely positive thinking. We've got two excellent strikes who, by Christmas time, have both reached ten goals. On top of that we have a creative midfield who on their day can give any team their problems. Yes, defensively we have a few issues. I'm not saying that we're perfect by any means (contrary to how you attempt to interpret my posts). Communication will improve over time with a back line who are playing together consistently on the pitch.

Who exactly would you have us sign anyway? We can't and won't spend any money on transfer fees, and even so who would merit one? So you're essentially advocating that we piss away money that should be used to cut down on our debts to bring in a defender to try to stop the rot before we're dragged into a relegation battle. In case you haven't happened to notice, we're not exactly in a strong financial position, made all the more clear with the fact that in the summer of last year we had HMRC demanding money off us in a very short period of time. If you need any more of an example of why we shouldn't be financially pissing against the wind then look at our neighbours along in Dunfermline who are on a financial cliff spending money they never had in the first place.

rolleyes.gif

[quote name='rw89' timestamp='1356714342' post='6927474'

We may have tried every formation so far, but have we tried them consistently? The answer to that is no, no we haven't. It isn't an arrogant presumption to say we're too good to go down. It is merely positive thinking. We've got two excellent strikes who, by Christmas time, have both reached ten goals. On top of that we have a creative midfield who on their day can give any team their problems. Yes, defensively we have a few issues. I'm not saying that we're perfect by any means (contrary to how you attempt to interpret my posts). Communication will improve over time with a back line who are playing together consistently on the pitch.

Who exactly would you have us sign anyway? We can't and won't spend any money on transfer fees, and even so who would merit one? So you're essentially advocating that we piss away money that should be used to cut down on our debts to bring in a defender to try to stop the rot before we're dragged into a relegation battle. In case you haven't happened to notice, we're not exactly in a strong financial position, made all the more clear with the fact that in the summer of last year we had HMRC demanding money off us in a very short period of time. If you need any more of an example of why we shouldn't be financially pissing against the wind then look at our neighbours along in Dunfermline who are on a financial cliff spending money they never had in the first place.

rolleyes.gif

I wasn't trying to be cuntish btw, and i wasn't even advocating we spend money. There has to be available players who are out of contract soon. Please don't for a second think i'm having a go at Bert, he's a fucking blessing. I'm glad we have him, i just want our defence sorted.

Was clearing out some of my wardrobe and came across a 1997-1998 match worn shirt with the Fife College sponsor. In pretty good condition with "Best Wishes John Millar"on the number on the back, he was the player we got in return for Hearts receiving Colin Cameron along with the transfer fee. Completely forgot I owned this!

Edited by Martin

Was clearing out some of my wardrobe and came across a 1997-1998 match worn shirt with the Fife College sponsor. In pretty good condition with "Best Wishes John Millar"on the number on the back, he was the player we got in return for Hearts receiving Colin Cameron along with the transfer fee. Completely forgot I owned this!

Ah John Millar. Mind he scored a double when we dumped Hibernian out of the Scottish Cup at Easter Road? Great day that was!

Ah John Millar. Mind he scored a double when we dumped Hibernian out of the Scottish Cup at Easter Road? Great day that was!

I remember that game very well. We were near the top of the first trying to get back up at the first attempt and Hibs were rock bottom of the Premier League headed for relegation at the time. That defeat got Duffy the sack from the Hibees. No surprise really if you look at their team at the time, Crawford, Dennis, Andy Walker, Jimmy Boco, Paul Tosh.

Still remember them howling at full time for Duffys head. They got their wish. :lol:

On a side note we then missed a great chance to make the QFs by losing at home to Falkirk in the next round. :(

I remember that game very well. We were near the top of the first trying to get back up at the first attempt and Hibs were rock bottom of the Premier League headed for relegation at the time. That defeat got Duffy the sack from the Hibees. No surprise really if you look at their team at the time, Crawford, Dennis, Andy Walker, Jimmy Boco, Paul Tosh.

Still remember them howling at full time for Duffys head. They got their wish. :lol:

On a side note we then missed a great chance to make the QFs by losing at home to Falkirk in the next round. :(

That was a great day out against Hibs. Remember it well. Got the highlights on tape somewhere

Colin Wilson says on Twitter: And also I have been released from raith, it has been a great 4 years at the club, now for the next chapter in my career.

I think that's a shame, I'd have liked to see him get another shot. Says he's playing for Musselburgh at the weekend. Good luck to him.

Quite surprised we've let him go given that cover is hardly plentiful. Maybe Murray is planning on coming back into the fold?

He seemed to do alright in his cameos before that Dunfermline game, though that and the arrival of Mensing has seen him frozen out completely. It's for the best if it's been decided he's unlikely to make an impact on the first team.

Colin Wilson says on Twitter: And also I have been released from raith, it has been a great 4 years at the club, now for the next chapter in my career.

I think that's a shame, I'd have liked to see him get another shot. Says he's playing for Musselburgh at the weekend. Good luck to him.

Shame for the lad but if Murray doesn't think he can make the grade its the right thing to do for the club rather than paying a player who isn't going to play and its the right thing to do for Colin Wilson so he can look to find a new club where he can establish himself. Best of luck to the lad for the future hopefully it works out at another club for him.

Doubt as a youngster he was on a large wage but maybe Murray could get someone else in to bolster another area of the squad even if its only on a part time contract only if the budget allows of course

It was reported in the summer that he'd signed for a year, then I read in one of the 'papers the other week that he was only signed for six months after all, but had now been given an extension to the end of the season.

Either way, yeah, he's here for the season.